The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Accidentally ingested Johnsons Klear

MJI

• RMweb Premium

Yes I drunk some

Why?

Tipped some out into the cap, used it, tipped back into the bottle

Then I had a drink of cider.

Funny taste

Yes I tipped a few ml into my cider

Seems OK after I dug the white lumps out.

Cannot find any safety guides on the stuff.

• RMweb Premium

That's unfortunate. I'd suggest drinking plenty of milk and / or water to try to dilute the effects.

I reckon I have drunk about a teaspoon full and there is no health warnings on the bottle

• RMweb Gold
For those not in the know, Johnson’s Klear is/was a water-based, soluble acrylic varnish / polish

Acryllic varnish

General information General first aid,  rest,  warmth and fresh air.  Do not give victim anything to drink if they are unconscious. Inhalation Remove victim immediately from source of exposure.  Provide rest,  warmth and fresh air.  Get medical attention if any discomfort continues.  Place unconscious person on the side in the recovery position and ensure breathing can take place. Ingestion DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Provide fresh air,  warmth and rest,  preferably in comfortable upright sitting position. Skin contact Remove affected person from source of contamination.  Remove contaminated clothing immediately and wash skin with soap and water. Eye contact Make sure to remove any contact lenses from the eyes before rinsing.  Continue to rinse for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.

But I'm not a medical professional or chemist and I'm making 2 + 2 = 4 but it may be 22 so use at your own risk - my underline/bold

Guest bri.s

Seriously Hope it's fine ,but you'll probably have a glazed look in your eye for a while hahahaha

Coat ,hat

Brian

• RMweb Gold

If it's any help Father jack once drank a bottle of floor polish and survived so you should be ok

It just slowed his metabolism down and bought about all the Simpsons of death such as rigamortis and decay but the effects wore off after a couple of days

• RMweb Premium

General information General first aid,  rest,  warmth and fresh air.  Do not give victim anything to drink if they are unconscious. Inhalation Remove victim immediately from source of exposure.  Provide rest,  warmth and fresh air.  Get medical attention if any discomfort continues.  Place unconscious person on the side in the recovery position and ensure breathing can take place. Ingestion DO NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Provide fresh air,  warmth and rest,  preferably in comfortable upright sitting position. Skin contact Remove affected person from source of contamination.  Remove contaminated clothing immediately and wash skin with soap and water. Eye contact Make sure to remove any contact lenses from the eyes before rinsing.  Continue to rinse for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.

The instruction for not drinking anything is specifically related to if they are unconscious, not to the issue of the substance ingested.

I think the advice to contact NHS 111 is the right one. While I would not want to put any pressure on A&E, if you can't get a result from 111, get to A&E. While the amount you've taken is small, it's a chemical and any amount could be a risk.

In an absent minded moment I swallowed some white spirit a while back which her indoors had helpfully left in a glass and I then made the mistake of thinking it was water.

I found Sauvignon Blanc to be a very effective neutralising agent. In your own situation some Thatchers may well be in order.

If it's any help Father jack once drank a bottle of floor polish and survived so you should be ok

It just slowed his metabolism down and bought about all the symptoms of death such as rigamortis and decay but the effects wore off after a couple of days

He also managed to drink an entire bottle of Dreamy Sleepy Nighty Snoozy Snooze.

Acryllic varnish

But I'm not a medical professional or chemist and I'm making 2 + 2 = 4 but it may be 22 so use at your own risk - my underline/bold

You need to extend the underlining a bit, it actually says-

Do not give victim anything to drink if they are unconscious

Selective quoting can be very dangerous.

• RMweb Gold

I think I have the Ebola virus, any suggestions lads?

Oh I had a problem with a coupling on a Lima 31 but I dialed 111 for that!!!

If you have a potentially serious medical condition you get immediate help ,not debate it on a model railway forum

• RMweb Premium

I asked here because a lot of us use it

2 pints of water

1/2 pint tea

Seem fine, but funny taste in mouth from the small amount which went in.

111 said I am OK, I had less than 1% of a lethal dose

Did you polish off the rest of the cider?

I had to tip it!

If you have a potentially serious medical condition you get immediate help ,not debate it on a model railway forum

Reminds me of a Thread long ago on RMweb about how to pick up broken,raw egg off a floor. It quite tickled the OP how many respondants assumed he had just left the egg on the floor, & logged onto RMweb to seek advice. ;)

Archived