Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

It's amazing how much this stuff goes for on That Auction Site - does anyone have a real loco nameplate?  A fully working semaphore signal?  Lots of wagon D-plates? Judging from the YouTube videos of his layout, Pete Waterman has spent a lot on this stuff over the years!

• RMweb Gold

I've not found it after a few quick searches, but there is a similar thread from a few years back which got  quite a few posts. It might be worth finding and adding to. I'll post here if I find it.

Thanks

Dave

I have an old LSWR "Penalty for not shutting gate £2" sign which I relieved a gate of not far from Delabole on the old North Cornwall line. I've put it on a gate in the garden.

I also used to have a concrete milepost from the same place but for some unfathomable reason my parents didn't take it with them when they moved. Heathens.

• Like 1

I still have some British Rail / Inter City mission statements and prospectuses from 1985.

Also some journals from the early days of the 4247 Preservation Society.

I even have a small stack of EMGS Newsletters and Society Digest in the attic.....

I have an old "Bowyers" pork pie bought on the Bristol - Newcastle express back in 1970.

It was hard and stale when I bought it, and probably had already traveled a few thousand miles !!!!!!

Brit15

It's amazing how much this stuff goes for on That Auction Site - does anyone have a real loco nameplate?  A fully working semaphore signal?  Lots of wagon D-plates? Judging from the YouTube videos of his layout, Pete Waterman has spent a lot on this stuff over the years!

Ah but Pete will tell you they came free with the locos when he bought them. :jester:

The out of the ordinary that I have are a few of the large ownership plates off tank wagons - given by various companies when we were measuring wagons. Even the NRM doesn't appear to have any despite them being required on all privately owned tank wagons. They just sit in the garage!  http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ncbtankwagons/e1e06eaed     http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icichlorine/e2eba263

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

The name board from Forres SB, several wagon plates, a BR 9F tender numberplate, several NER cast iron door and gate plates, a BR first aid box (used as such), a couple of LNWR and FR bridge number plates (one of which is, by complete co-incidence, the number of our house and sits by the front door - the future Mrs CKPR thought it was intentional but I'd just left it there), a couple of NER oil cans, an awful lot of old paperwork form the pre-group lines in West Cumberland, various framed RCH maps, a couple of working LMS hand lamps, a noticeboard from Bassenthwaite Lake station, etc. In my defence, I haven't added to this mini-museum in the past couple of decades and gave away a load of similar stuff a few weeks when I moved house and just abandoned several cast iron track chairs along with a Furness Rly brick (!)

Edited by CKPR

My father owns or has owned in the past (amongst others), a nameplate from A3 'Persimmon', a wooden signal box name board - from a colliery near Nottingham, (I forget which), a platform bench (Great Central?) from Nottingham Victoria Station, and numerous number plates/works plates from wagons.

The bench has undertaken a very awkward and very distant house move (much to my mother's dismay, not to mention the removal team, due to its weight!) My father is at present trying to organise new homes in museums or heritage centres for his collection of railwayana, as he is well aware that he can't take it with him, and nobody else in the family really wants half a ton of semi-restored bench.

I have an old "Bowyers" pork pie bought on the Bristol - Newcastle express back in 1970.

It was hard and stale when I bought it, and probably had already traveled a few thousand miles !!!!!!

It wouldn't travel well if you tried to eat it  :jester:

It's probably solidified sufficiently to break a plate glass window by now.

......just above that noticeable sag in the ceiling..... :jester:

Actually, no, they're strategically placed to cover a hole.

Edited by Horsetan

Where do you start?  Just yesterday I acquired a BR S&T toolbag in blue and cream with red double-arrows on, a 1983 PTS leaflet and other ephemera.  

There are countless items of branded PPE, at least two mileposts, a gradient post and Catch Points board somewhere, three nameplates, a flamecut, cast cycling lions, D-plate, shunter's pole from 62C and more besides....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A Westinghouse searchlight signal, a Metrovick Hernia (see the searchlight story thread for an explaination!), LNER and GWR handlamps, a LBSCR chair (I have no idea why, anyone fancy swapping a HR one for it?), some insulators. LNWR drawing of the Duke of Sutherlands salloon.

I haven't actually got that much, theres people I know with much more, but I have to keep it in check just in case I get one of those looks from the wife...

Andy G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brit15

Very valuable if it ever comes up for sale would be the cheese sandwich (see APT-E thread)

Where do you start? Just yesterday I acquired a BR S&T toolbag in blue and cream with red double-arrows on, a 1983 PTS leaflet and other ephemera.

There are countless items of branded PPE, at least two mileposts, a gradient post and Catch Points board somewhere, three nameplates, a flamecut, cast cycling lions, D-plate, shunter's pole from 62C and more besides....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a massive amount at this house unless you count the BR parked in the garden!

I did buy a genuine BR carriage print of Hutton le hole the other week. I've mounted and framed it and put it in the guest room. Most people won't realise it's anything to do with railways.

I also have an English Electric plaque of a class 40 engine that is on the cabinet I've the meter and fuse box,that is outside my railway room which is obviously full of railway crap!!

• Like 1

I never liberated nuffink from the demics in Whitemoor yer honour, and exhibits A thru F, including cl08 & cl20 speedometers and various plates plaques and panels, are an obvious "plant" to besmirch my good name.

C6T.

That said, I still regret not taking a spanner to a couple of cl45 cab seats. If I was even there. Which I weren't.

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I picked this up from eBay for a tenner - mislabelled as "old sign" probably a house clearance. It cost £15p+p, one for renovation and to go on my garden pub wall. I suspect it's worth considerably more than that.

One day will get some replica D800 and D1000 plates that's for sure, for now have made do with some D plates from a variety of stock including a Swindon built van, freightliner flat, a diag 1/108 mineral and a catfish ballast wagon.

Neil

post-6925-0-04014000-1463071496_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Ah but Pete will tell you they came free with the locos when he bought them. :jester:

The out of the ordinary that I have are a few of the large ownership plates off tank wagons - given by various companies when we were measuring wagons. Even the NRM doesn't appear to have any despite them being required on all privately owned tank wagons. They just sit in the garage! http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/ncbtankwagons/e1e06eaed http://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icichlorine/e2eba263

Paul

Not from a tank wagon but I have a similar plate from a 7-plank rescued when I had a summer job on a coal wharf around 1963. It was attached to one of several bits of old wagon holding up one of our coal stacks.

• Like 1