Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

• RMweb Gold

Closure notice for the Skipton Colne line and a closure notice for the local trains on the Settle Carlisle, among various signs, notices including a Nelson totem and a Brierfield totem.

I have little bit of the North Bay Railway ( Scarborough)  in my possession, A two inch or so cut of rail which was found during a walk of the track ( don't worry the bit i've got is an off cut :P),

Which i've had since i did school work experience on the line about 5 years ago now ( how time flys ...)   

I still work for the railway on weekends around my other job.

The two chimney pots on our house came from Sheffield Victoria Station so the guy who replaced the roof on our 250 year old house some years before we bought it told me.  Other than that, I have several BR enamel signs, a couple came from Collectors' Corner at Euston many years ago when I worked In London and they cost peanuts but two were bought at auction and were somewhat pricey.

Stan

Hum hadden't thought of that one! How do I check! It's a long time since I heard one peeping at TM as it whirled past

Find some photos or ask a pres group for a better look? (Email a pres group and ask if it matches for size)

Possibly not though if this listing is correct

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/justaclickago/catalogue-id-srju10001/lot-cfb220f1-ed53-45e8-86ae-a41800a5eda9

Edited by modfather

• RMweb Gold

They definitely aren't handlamps - far too big and awkward.  The one on the right looks as if it was probably on a  level crossing gate while teh ne on teh left is possibly a signal lamp - can't see the sides and back so difficult to be certain however what is certain is that both are lamp interiors, not the outer casings.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have this, came from Littlehampton Wharf, mentions both Littlehampton and Kingston Wharf (near Shoreham) which leads me to suspect there were once two of them, one at each location.

post-6910-0-03266800-1465390819_thumb.jpg

Fifteen quid in a junk shop near Littlehampton about thirty years ago, six feet square and my mother was not overly impressed when I dragged it home!!

Still looking for replacement metal letters and a picture of the sign in situe if anyone can help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just this weekend I was offered a lamp similar to Class 66's (the one on the right) by an elderly neighbour doing a clearout, in exchange for some lawn mowing. Not sure if that would just be taking advantage though (it's a tiny patch of lawn). Any advice?

8' long piece of Broad Gauge Barlow rail, it acts as the (wheel) stop for my Austin 7's when I reverse into the garage.

It cam from a cottage near North Petherton when I was working on the M5 construction.  

It was the part of the structure keeping an old cottage up......

I also have a restored mahogany swivel chair, that came out of Highbridge works.

.. amongst other things like trespass notices, signal finials, etc., etc.,

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

A friend of my father used to work for British Rail. As a consequence I have, amongst other things, copies of a scale drawing of I think a mark 2 bogie, a very long plan of Leeds station (n scale?) And a poster of some manufacturers concrete sleeper offerings.

He asked if we wanted the locking mechanism from a soon to be demolished redundant signal box but we had nowhere to put it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just this weekend I was offered a lamp similar to Class 66's (the one on the right) by an elderly neighbour doing a clearout, in exchange for some lawn mowing. Not sure if that would just be taking advantage though (it's a tiny patch of lawn). Any advice?

My advice is to cut his grass before someone else does. If you think you are taking advantage then cut the grass for the rest of the summer.

• RMweb Premium

My advice is to cut his grass before someone else does. If you think you are taking advantage then cut the grass for the rest of the summer.

I was planning to, it's only a tiny patch of lawn, will probably add all of 30 seconds to my mowing. It's getting the mower out and putting it back again that she's struggling with.

Clippings will just get mixed in with mine and thrown over the garden fence with the rest :)

• Like 1

I have various brass WAGR wagon builders plates, the odd handtool marked with railway branding, various handbooks for Loco's and this Headboard from the Loco that pulled the last Loco hauled cream and green rollingstock that ran on Suburban trains in Perth in the 80's before EMU's came in. Usually in peak hour morning and afternoon for school time as an extra service to the DMU's that ran back then. This was for the afternoon service..

post-23233-0-98494500-1465469631.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had a paper map of the GWR which my mother got plaked for me for Christmas a few years ago.

I, or more accurately my late father, had a copy of that map, on very thin paper. It came in the box of a GWR jigsaw depicting I think King George V and either North Star or Lord of the Isles and may have been a 1935 Centenary commemorative.