Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

Off the top of my head:

One ex GNR single dial non pegging block instrument.

One double dial LNER block instrument.

3 x BR(E) - LNER design - loco headlamps. Two restored and one in original filthy ex loco condition.

2 x BR(M) - LMS design - loco headlamps.

1 x BR(E) gauge glass lamp.

1 x BR standard tail lamp (procured unused and still wrapped in it's BR Enparts brown paper).

2 x BR guards van side lamps. (1 of as above, brand new)

1 x BR(Sc) guards handlamp (issued to my paternal Grandfather)

1 x LNER guards handlamp (issued to my maternal Grandfather)

1 x BR electric tail lamp (original design).

1 x BR/NR electric tail lamp (modern design).

1 x BR issue Bardic, issued to my maternal Grandfather just prior to retiral in the late 60s.

Various LNER/BR rulebooks, notebooks and other such material which came from both Grandfather

There's also a couple of cardboard boxes of various railway stuff at my mothers house which I've yet to delve through. Most of the men in my family either joined the railway or went to sea, a few - including my paternal Grandfather - did both, hence most of the "collection".

I've got even more nautical bits and pieces, including furniture from various long time broken up ships.

• Like 1

Aside from plenty of smaller items like my old BR uniforms, smocks, coats, bardic lamps etc I've got the complete set of route maps from the old road learning school at Rugby which were destined for the skip, a pair of LMS upper quadrant stop arms, a BR / WR Maidenhead totem, BR corporate black on white station signs from Rugby, Canley and Reading, a British Railways Hotels 'Royal Scot' whiskey bottle (empty!), a smokebox numberplate from BR Standard 4MT 75052, a flame cut from 37 275, several small cab fittings from Class 50s, some fault light hoods from Hymek D7036 purloined at Old Oak Open Day 1972 and hiding somewhere some old driver's fault books from D1000, D1001, D1026 and D1046 given to me by my traction trainee instructor who was previously a secondman at Old Oak.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a short offcut of FB rail by the back door, as it makes an excellent door stop.

Me too, holds the railway room door open.

I have the No 1 end arrows from 60052, I won them in a raffle in 1996, I said that I hoped I didn't win that... I also have a piece of paper saying 'Alloy plate, not required at depot' from Thornaby to go with it.

Also have a couple of instruments from a signal cabin at Bishop Auckland and a couple of NER oil lamps.

• Like 1

I have a piece of stonework that fell of Ribblehead Viaduct if that counts, as well as 6 off Doncaster Works chromalin glass negatives of weight and clearance diagrams for LNER tender locomotives out of 'The Plant' drawing office.

Edited by Blue Max
  • Like 2

I have an LNER rail chair that I found in spoil bulldozed aside at a factory just after they had built an extension. The land it was on used to be sidings at Godley Junction. I saw a corner peeping out of the dirt and knew instantly what it was and dug it out to take home. Cleaned up and painted it is an ornament in my garden.

My Father has a one foot length of flatbottom rail he was gifted from a friend who worked at Horwich loco works that he uses as an anvil.

Edited by Jenny Emily
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a Street Sign which says "Station Road", purchased from the Bluebell Railway Staff at one of their Fairs for about twenty quid.  Apparently they wanted to use it for the road outside one of their stations, but the council wouldn't let them cos' the official name was "Station Approach".

Judging by the comments and envious looks I got whilst struggling back to the car with it I reckon I got a pretty good deal :)

• RMweb Gold

Me too, holds the railway room door open.

I have the No 1 end arrows from 60052, I won them in a raffle in 1996, I said that I hoped I didn't win that... I also have a piece of paper saying 'Alloy plate, not required at depot' from Thornaby to go with it.

Also have a couple of instruments from a signal cabin at Bishop Auckland and a couple of NER oil lamps.

That loco was a regular in East Cleveland, I remember taking it to Boulby on numerous occasions.

The bit of paper said the alloy wasn't required at the depot?

When arrows and totems were removed at Thornaby it wasn't quite what the BRB had in mind, all of them were given away to staff who wanted them. It was name in hat basically. The Thornaby totems being first out. I won a Toton one and an arrow of a 37 which I still have.

I forgot to mention earlier I have a block bell as a door bell

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have a L&YR boundary post in my back garden that came from the Manchester area. It stands about 2 feet above ground, but there's about 3' below ground (#heavyb&stardlumpofstone)  I live next to a railway line and a friend used to be a local NR employee and was walking the line with a colleague. Upon observing the boundary post in my back garden, the colleague remarked that the residents were extending their gardens into railway property, .... My friend duly corrected him.

In reality, when my house was built, my fence line receded about 3', as there's a pair of stone gateposts defining  the original boundary of the field.

There are other various artefacts including fishplates, a short section of rail and a couple of cut-down railway sleepers as footsteps to the shed.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Between me and Dad we have an lner trespass sign from somewhere, a NER rail chair from the remains of the Pateley Bridge branch, a point rail chair from Bilton Junction, a brick from the remains of Bilton signal box plus plenty of rail spikes/screws, telegraph insulator pots and other bits and bobs from the old Harrogate-Ripon line. Aloso i know of a buffer buried down an embankment that this year im going to recover, its a never ending treasure hunt

• Like 1

One somewhat battered GWR signal lamp with the door bent and the glass missing, now less than half a mile from its 'birthplace'. There's an episode of Oh dr Beeching where Wilfred drops an identical lamp from the top of a signal onto the station platform. As that would obviously be enough to break the glass and bend the door,I wonder if it's the same one....

A porter's cap,and three GWR buttons...

During the 1970s, I did come into possession of quite a few interesting bits and pieces as stations were being re-signed from green to b&w, and old stores were being cleared and demolished. I sold most things to fund model railway activity a few years ago, and was very pleased with the way my "scrap iron" had appreciated in value! (All I can say is that the SR no trespassing sign shown above was an absolute bargain at a tenner; my similar one went for hundreds.)

The two key things I've kept are a platform number sign from Tundbridge Wells West, and a Festiniog rail chair that came from the trackbed which was flooded to create the hydro power station lake. Both have 'sentimental attachments', the latter partly because I carried it, and several other bits of scrap, in my backpack for absolutely blooming miles as I explored quarry branches up onto the "tops" around Blaneau. I was young and fit then!

K

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am surprised that a cast iron trespass sign would go for that much given how common they were and nothing to relate them to a particular location.

I used to have many more items of railwayana than I do now. Among the more notable, a running-in board from Ulverston which got installed on my parents' garden wall. Bought at Collector's Corner in Carnforth for £3 (in 1974), they generously arranged free transport down to the Euston branch.

Currently, the most interesting item that I have is a totem from Horton in Ribblesdale, not the standard enamel but a temporary painted one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My dad has an lnwr boundry post in his garden from crumps yard in deeside, also a "wrexham mold and connahs quay railway" sleeper chair that I found when we were lifting the track in the old yard in deeside, the stuff we skipped though back in 1995, looking back with hindsight was wrong, GC and LNER weighted point throws amongst other stuff

He had other stuff but those are the most interesting

If got various paper junk in the garage, should bin it really, only rule books/sectional appendix from the 2000s but I also have the old "Fastline Freight" sign from Chaddesden that I liberated when they went bust oweing me a lot of money, maybe one day it will be worth something!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I purchased these signs via e bay. I don't know what stations they were from.

A station with at least one platform - that should narrow the search down a bit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a shelter built from old (Danish) Railway sleepers and a now half derelict covered wagon body that the previous owner I think used to grow plants for his funny cigarettes. If it was in better condition and insulated ( the weather here goes down to minus 18C in the winter, I would love to use it for a model railway.

• RMweb Gold

Signal box nameboards from Wirral area boxes. Illuminated diagrams from a few boxes including Tebay.

Block instruments, repeaters, lots of signal box diagrams and a pretty large collection of appendices, weekly notices (LNWR) etc covering the (mainly) North West of England but now widening to also include Anglia.

Shedplate, enamel signs, posters.

All sorts of junk collectables really.

• Like 3

I've never been able to resist carrying home various things I find along the way. Caveat: All of these items were either gifted to me, bought legitimately or rescued from the long grass. You should have seen the bits and pieces my parents wouldn't let be bring home. I recently was eyeing up an SR concrete lineside hut...

So scattered around are

LBSCR bench originally at Burgess Hill.

Numerous chairs [the other kind] SR and LBSCR varieties lugged back from Newhaven Beach

Grampus wagon nameplate carried home by my eight year old self same place.

Distant signal arm found in the bushes on the Cuckoo line 

Metal cap for a square SR post ditto

Big enamel sign pointing to the Central Line [from the Northbound Bakerloo at Victoria via LT Acton Depot]

A massive brass and ceramic insulator thingy about the size of a small dalek from the substation at Lewes. [Gifted by the blokes removing the equipment]

Engineering bricks from the Pullman Works at Preston Park and one brought back from Vermont [not hand luggage]. 

A piece of metal catenary found on the bike trail once the Milwaukee Road at Avery, Idaho. 

Heavily weathered once green painted wooden platform number sign from Folkestone Harbour.

• Like 1

STATION

<----------    BR dark blue double sided enamel sign from Cambridge

PENALTY  FOR NOT CLOSING GATE ......  Llan Festiniog - Blaenau Festiniog branch (former 2' gauge Festiniog & Blaenau Railway)

LSWR cast iron boundary post from Launceston - Wadebridge line, near St. Teath

GWR / GKN rail chair July 1940

Cornwall Railway rail chair

Croesor Tramway rail joint and intermediate rail chairs

BR loco head lamp

BR guard's tail lamp

BR locoman's paraffin flare lamp

Level crossing gate lamp from Cambridge area

LNER enamelled home signal arm and spactacles from Cambridge cement works sidings, Cambridge - Newmarket branch

Cast PO wagon registration plate 112356 (1927)

Loco shedpates 41A & 41C

If anyone is interested in any of the above - you can always make me an offer.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1

1 engineering brick from Kingsbridge signal box, gifted to me by a kindly soul

1 BR rail chair, set of fishplates and bolts, also ex Kingsbridge line, found.

2 hand lamps, both from LNER/BR

1 crossing sign from the Kirby Stephen branch- Kelleth Cabin, found by my grandad when he bought the keepers cottage from BR after closure, helpfully folded in half :( by the wreckers and put in the shed.

1 BR bell codes card leaflet, from above crossing

GWR loco dept "checks" used to pay engine men.

GWR engine mans cap badge- presents from family.

Picture of cabin sign.

post-9516-0-61359400-1463141593_thumb.jpeg

Edited by devondynosoar118
  • Like 2

I've got a short length of bridge rail from the upper reaches of the Corris railway (although it may be at my mate's house as I haven't seen it for some time!), some GWR buttons and embroidered logos, a couple of rule books and a diesel loco driver training manual.  I've noticed that there is a Wrexham General totem sign coming up for sale in a forthcoming auction which would be nice to have - but I've been dissuaded from considering purchasing it by Mrs 5050 (with very good reason I'd better add!).