Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What railwayana/train junk do you have in your house/garden?

• RMweb Gold

I, or more accurately my late father, had a copy of that map, on very thin paper. It came in the box of a GWR jigsaw depicting I think King George V and either North Star or Lord of the Isles and may have been a 1935 Centenary commemorative.

It's the standard GWR timetable map which was included with public timetables at one time (I'm not sure over how many years) so they are quite common although not always in good condition when you come across them.

I ve got a very rusty old bolt from the rack on the Snowdon mountain railway ( found on the trackbed  next to the rack where a new bolt had been replaced ). I ve also got a rule book and a couple of class 150 drivers manuals and a Regional Railways sign about use of bicycle lockers. (don't ask)

I used to have a complete semaphore home signal arm and the coloured end plate for a distant arm but unfortunately lost them in a house move.

Edited by tamperman36

Nice to read about all the interesting items that people collect.

A few years ago, one of my dad's work colleagues gave me a brass wage token marked 'G.C.R Marylebone'.  It has a hole at the top, originally for hanging on a hook in the office, but which makes it ideal for attaching to the edge of my layout.  I'm guessing by the G.C.R. marking it's pre grouping, so could well be over 100 years old; a 'proper' antique.

• 10 months later...

Hello all, 

I never knew about this thread today until I googled it, some really nice pieces in people's collection and it's great to see. I have my own small collection of roughly 10 or so cast iron things, 3 lamps and some smaller pieces, the majority of them LMS NCC. 

I recently came across these two so cleaned them and father painted them. The GNR one is self explanatory however the other has me puzzled, it's obviously one half which is a pity, and the rail company intials are probably on the missing half, but I've been unable to identify makes intials, would anyone know what they stand for and approximately what year it would be? 

Thanks in advance, 

Nelson 

post-19436-0-77076200-1498069065_thumb.jpeg

post-19436-0-91575600-1498069073_thumb.jpeg

post-19436-0-87474800-1498069080_thumb.jpeg

post-19436-0-93343000-1498069087_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice to read about all the interesting items that people collect.

A few years ago, one of my dad's work colleagues gave me a brass wage token marked 'G.C.R Marylebone'.  It has a hole at the top, originally for hanging on a hook in the office, but which makes it ideal for attaching to the edge of my layout.  I'm guessing by the G.C.R. marking it's pre grouping, so could well be over 100 years old; a 'proper' antique.

Do not under any circumstances underestimate the value of that pay token. Make absolutely sure you know of it's value before you part with it.

• RMweb Premium

I have in my library a book about surveying on the railway network.

The book has no publication date and may well therefore date from the 1920s or earlier.

Unfortunately the book has been defaced by some oik scrawling his signature across the front cover.  I could imagine that such action might well be a sackable offence and often wonder whatever happened to one H N Gresley.

• Like 2

I too had a GWR chair off the Stourport branch, and a GWR cast iron 40 shillings trespass sign.

My mother gave them to the scrap man.

We've got ex-GWR rail chairs for sale at Wallingford station, £10 each....

Edited to remove a sentence about what I own as I discovered it was a repeat of a previous post I made here a year ago!

Edited by RJS1977

Among other odd bits I have this collection of rail chairs. All Glasgow & South Western dating between 1887 and 1920. What is interesting is that the design stayed very similar until the 1920 one which could be for a heavier section of rail.

Ian

post-6089-0-31333100-1498136773_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Among other odd bits I have this collection of rail chairs. All Glasgow & South Western dating between 1887 and 1920. What is interesting is that the design stayed very similar until the 1920 one which could be for a heavier section of rail.

Ian

attachicon.gifIMG_1570.JPG

Thanks for posting that. It's interesting that the older ones don't have any "buttresing" webs. Helpful for those of us who print our own chairs ;)

• RMweb Gold

Talking of chairs, my dad has a Wrexham, mold and connahs quay railway one that I salvaged from my stepdads yard in connahs quay when we ripped the track up back in 1995 (the old c c crump yard)

Just wish I'd have grabbed the half dozen or so GC weighted point levers at the time too

I have a short offcut of FB rail by the back door, as it makes an excellent door stop.

also have a short length of FB rail used to reside under the "bonnet " of my old rear engined  skoda as a ballast which improved the handling no end now gets used as an anvil  and wheel chock as required 

• Like 1

I have the down distant signal from Hinton Admiral Station that I bought from BR Southern Region at the time of the Bournemouth electrification when I was 14. Never done anything with it - it's just there. Happy memories though.

I also have a rather tatty 1960 Southern Region timetable which has written on it the numbers from the first time I went properly trainspotting at Southwick just west of Brighton. 34008 Padstow; 4 x 2-6-0s; 2 Ks, an N and an N1; an M7, an E2 and a Standard 2-6-4T. I wonder what trains they'd have been working.

• RMweb Premium

34008 would probably have been heading to the far west, the M7 to/from Horsham via Steyning. The E2 is a bit unusual, especially for the early 1960's in that part of the world.

Edited by John M Upton

I have a number of Cast Alloy Plaques produced, I think, at Swindon works that I have accquired over the years. There does not seem to be any list of what were produced - someone was seeking information a few years ago in Heritage Railway Magazine but I never so any update. I have 2 Plaques of King George V, Pendennis Castle, A Warship Diesel and a Prototype HST & Locomotion. I know that a Deltic exists but I have not been able to get one at the right price. I also know that there is a Western Plaque - I have a what I think is a fake one that is of quite poor quality compared to the others in my collection. Most seem to be limited runs of eiher 1,000 or 3,000 and I have certificates with two of them so in theory there are a significant number about. If anyone has any other infomation on these I would be really keen to hear about them.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a rather nice copy of Per Rail complete with maps. Plus a copy of The War Office at War, written and signed by Sir Sam Fay. Also both GCR and L&Y rule books, the latter bought off Ebay for a massive £1-50.