Kernow/Bachmann announcement at Great Central Railway model event (17 June)

Paul.Uni

Don't DJM produce steam locomotives for Kernow, whilst multiple units are made by Bachmann ?

Hornby teased us all with a measuring stick and a guy wearing a pair of old boots on what looks like the top of the roof of the Bluebell Railway's Wainwright H in the Engine Shed of 11/12/2015.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/7301/

The same roof of the H-Class being painted here :-

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/loco_news/10/263_cabroof_derekh_24jan10.jpg

• RMweb Gold

All these lovely commissions for 00 gauge modelers but nothing for us N Gaugers. I would be up for a Well tank, D600 and O2 if they ever migrate down to N.

Hi Matthew,

Kernow have tried in N with some exclusive repaints - Farish Class 60 in GW Green, Dapol 153 in St Ives livery and bubble car DMU in Network Rail yellow spring to mind - but I think they took far longer to sell through than had been hoped.

In cash terms, developing an all new model for N costs about the same as developing one for OO, so little wonder they are focussed on the larger scale.

cheers

Ben A.

I,m hoping it is those long awaited Bullied Diesels. After all they used the same bogies as the class 40. I personally would hate to see yet another Kernow project jump the queue and the Bullied diesels being laid to waste!

The doubt of course is there are 6 contracts in the photo vs only 4 Bullied's (unless there are extra liveries, all 3 in Black and all 3 in green).

Absolutely! I can accept delays in the interest of getting things right or, in some cases, selling enough to generate the cash for a new model but these diesels are stretching it a bit.

• RMweb Premium

If it's Kernow MRC, don't they always like their commissions to have some connection to Cornwall? If that's the case, then surely the H is out of the question as that was an SR / BR(S) Eastern Division locomotive?

• RMweb Gold

No your all wrong, the reference to push pull is the pony trucks on the fell diesel being pushed and pulled along by the driving wheels

So there we go, fell diesel

It's like an episode of 3-2-1 on here sometimes with these cryptic clues!!

Congrats to Kernow on some canny marketing creating over 1700 (to this point) viewings on this page alone plus 40 odd replies and doubtless others thinking but not posting what they expect/hope/dread the item to be and I suspect a bump up in hits on their own website...

David

• RMweb Premium

How would a 4TC fit into a Cornwall scenario? Are any of them preserved anywhere within Cornwall? Did any ever run to Cornwall in revenue earning service or on railtours?

4REPs certainly didn't (at least, not under their own power). Unless Bachmann were to produce a 4REP on their own, in parallel to doing a 4TC for Kernow, I can't see Kernow doing one.

The picture they put on their Facebook group, and subsequent comments are that it will be a completely new model, not just a new livery.

The picture has the words "Kernow model rail/ Kader Class " which gives hints that it will be diesel outline.

Not that it will be of interest to me as it's going to be a 00 model and not N gauge for the reasons given.

Alistair

No your all wrong, the reference to push pull is the pony trucks on the fell diesel being pushed and pulled along by the driving wheels

So there we go, fell diesel

It's like an episode of 3-2-1 on here sometimes with these cryptic clues!!

Funny you should say that. A few years ago I saw a video of someone from Kernow waving a confidential document around. Freeze frame and zoom and one picture looked not unlike the Fell. It might well not have been but if it was, it would have fitted in with the oddballs such as the Bulleid diesels and the D600s. It might not have been announced because of the lengthening list of uncompleted projects.

On the other hand – push-pull. It might just be the 35-500Z Class 117.

Funny you should say that. A few years ago I saw a video of someone from Kernow waving a confidential document around. Freeze frame and zoom and one picture looked not unlike the Fell.

A bit like the Russians 'accidentally' showing information about their latest (and probably non-existent) superweapon a year or so back......

Maybe Inspection Coach ADB975025 'Caroline'?

Why?

1. Operates in both push and pull mode

2. Lower cost than say a 4-TC (though I would love one!)

3. Used over several areas of the country, so marketable to many regions/areas

4. Three liveries (maybe more?) - i.e. blue/grey, green and...NSE - what with Bachmann doing the NSE theme this year?

I know one already exists as a model (based on a brass kit?) but if I recall it was on the higher side pricewise... though modern high-spec models are heading that way.

Either way, knowing Kernow I am sure it will be an interesting venture and wish them the best :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

Archived