The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Top Gear?

'CHARD

• RMweb Gold

I must be the odd one out then as I thought Matt LeBlanc was quite good.

Certainly way better than old shouty-pants - his effort in the Ariel looked pretty impressive and I don't think it was all down to good editing.

I'm afraid I thought the whole thing was doomed as soon as Evans was announced as anchor-man. He's rubbish on Radio, rubbish on The One Show and now rubbish on TG.

John

• RMweb Gold

I have to say it was crap.

Top wooden presenting I've ever seen.

When Chris took over the breakfast show, that was the same, very loud shouty and too over the top for that time of morning, it did take a few weeks to calm down and settle.

Luckily the breakfast radio show is live every morning so can respond and change quickly.

The main problem is Chris Evans liking the sound of his own voice too much.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot of top gear has already been filmed, so when they see all of the negative comments it's not like they will be able to make any changes quickly.

What strikes me is that someone must of watched this before putting it out and thought yes that's good!!!!!!!!!!!

Shocking.

Cheers

Ian

It really doesn't matter how this problem arose now. It is now a matter for 'someone' at the Beeb with enough nous to realise that the first thing to do when in a deep hole is to stop digging immediately. The money is spent and lost. Best now to accept that, pull the programme and not damage your critical reputation any further.

After all, the re-runs of real TG will still keep the revenue coming in.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to hear if any of those who have rubbished the "new" show already had a dislike for Evans? Because as far as I could see, this was the same Top Gear with different presenters. If you don't like Evans this isn't going to change your opinion. I've read quite a lot of the online reaction on various sites and my thoughts has always been that people have already decided it was rubbish before it started. The criticisms are largely what was wrong with the previous incarnation plus the dislike of CE.

My two pennerth?

Evans was OTT, Matt LeB was actually pretty good, I enjoyed his review of the Ariel Nomad and it was rather beautifully filmed. He has good comic timing (as you'd expect) and great deadpan delivery. The section at "Top Gun" with Sabine was contrived and reminiscent of the Clarkson vs Apache Gunship item of a few years ago. I liked the Star in a Reasonably Priced Autocross Car as the "Autocross Sections" should be a good indication of driving skill and commitment (I predict a few upside down Minis). For me, it was flawed but interesting enough for me to give it another go next week. I'm told the "Extra Gear" programme on BBC3 website is pretty good.

It would be interesting to hear if any of those who have rubbished the "new" show already had a dislike for Evans? 

As you've asked; not especially. It's just he came across as a square peg in a round hole in much the same way as I reckon Ant & Dec, Dan Cruikshank or Grayson Perry (and many other people who are proficient in their own niche) would be a bit of a poor choice too.

• Like 1

have any viewing figure been produced for the new series so far?

4.4m

New host Chris Evans said earlier in the week he would be "disappointed" with anything fewer than five million viewers for the show's first episode.

The final Top Gear featuring former host Jeremy Clarkson attracted 5.3 million viewers last June.

That's it; Chris Evans can join about 4m people in being 'disappointed' then.

Good news...

The BBC announced they're changing the image and getting D:Ream in to do the new theme music.

The BBC announced they're changing the image and getting D:Ream in to do the new theme music.

I think that may be a tad over optimistic on the BBC's part..........things most certainly will not get better for them IMO lol 

I wish Jeremy & co had gone head to head with them on a free to view channel ;)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First of all Mr York, please report yourself to the moderators and find a dark hole to contemplate the error of your ways. I can't get that damn song out of my head now and its way worse that last nights episode.

So whilst not overly impressed with episode 1 I am prepared to see how this evolves. I seem to remember Top Gear back in the 2002 had a shaky restart, a presenter was replaced by I think for the 2nd series by James May, etc. Also what will the final viewing figure in 7 days time be once iplayer, etc is factored in as I suspect the 5.3 for the final show with Mr Clarkson includes all of that. I watched it at 11 last night.

Edited by pirouets

Having come to this thread after wading through forty odd pages on the subject over on the Pistonheads forum and one or two other corners of the 'net it's fair to say that the new TG has received a fair old pasting. Rightly so I'd say, fair enough, every new series needs time to bed in, but since the old format has pretty much been stuck to and with Evans' long experience in the game up to now, it could have been, nay should have been a whole lot better. I sat through it last night with my other half who was visibly cringing at Evan's clown like performance, we were expecting Matt LeBlanc's input to be even worse but on balance his filmed piece in Morroco with the Nomad was better than the rest of the show put together.

When it had finished we both thought it seemed like a rough edit of a programme yet to be broadcast and wondered if anyone outside the production crew had watched it before signing it off, fit for public consumption!

• Like 2

It would be interesting to hear if any of those who have rubbished the "new" show already had a dislike for Evans?

Yes, I can't stand the bloke. I thought he'd be awful and he exceeded my expectations.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just a shame JC didn't leave it at hitting Piers Morgan, even Have I Got News for you didn't fault him on that. I agree with Ben it was the right thing to do for the BBC to not renew the contract, they are in enough trouble as it is, and I'll leave new TG as I never could bear watching much of Mr Evans even in the TFI days.

Plenty of TG repeats and I liked the older challenges so that will bear occasional viewing and I'll wait to see what else comes along or if they drop to Evans to the background I might give new TG a chance as I like a few of the other presenters. Why bother with an existing big name with baggage, if it's new then give a new team a chance. I quite liked Matt on a couple of other things and his laid back style countered with Sabine actually made me wonder if they could carry it off if given the chance.

Edited by PaulRhB

I haven't looked on TG as compulsive viewing for a few years now. . .I agree CE was,as always, OTT. . . and that's why I stopped watching the old show.  Mat was errr. . .allright  ish, ,might grow into it. . Sabine was Sabine.

I will probably watch again . . If there's nowt else on, but I think it had run its course.

John

4.4m

That's it; Chris Evans can join about 4m people in being 'disappointed' then.

Good news...

That's just the overnight figures. We'll need to wait a week or so for catchup and other viewings to be added to this. I'd guess that 5m will be possible. The real test is the following week as TG is recorded on Thursday so they won't have had time to make any use of the comments so far.

I'm inclined to say that the series needs to bed in. The (scripted) banter between presenters, was easy thanks to years of practise. This lot will get better. Everyone who judged it after 5 minutes or less (see Twitter) will drift back as things improve and the only option on a Sunday night is Antiques on BBC1 or some dire tat on ITV. The filmed bits were much better than the studio stuff. I want one of those off-road things that looks a bit like an old VW rail for a start.

While not an Evans fan, I really don't envy him this. TG is a massive brand for the BBC and I'm pretty sure there were plenty of execs saying things like, "No pressure Chris, but if this isn't prefect, THE WORLD WILL END!!!!". He was also going to get a kicking on the interweb from people who simply would like anything without Clarkson, or just wanted to show off with their level of outrage. Persoanally, I felt the last series of TG were very much missable. The jokes were tired. The challenges were obviously faked. I'd not even bother to record it.

Needless to say the new Clarkson series will be greated with "This is the greatest thing on telly ever" even if he's just stuck a camera in the toilet while he goes for a dump.

Mind you, I've always wondered if we'll ever see a "Top Gear Defence" in court when an employer punches an employee and then point out that said employee's social media a few months ago had been banging on about how it was perfectly OK for JC to thump a subordinate.

But this is a problem (almost) entirely of the BBC's own making. They should have accepted Clarkson's apology and got on with it instead of jubilantly crowing that they'd sacked the oik. Evans will polarise any audience you put him in front of even when he isn't trying to take over someone else's formula. I can't stand him but I can't help thinking he's been set up to fail here.

Unfortunately you were almost the only one. 3 million viewers in 2000 to nearly 7m in 2014.

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how much you apologise (popular or not) you can't just go around lumping people just because you want a particular type of sandwich.....

My own views on last night where the first piece with Sabine was good - we did laugh when one of America's finest barfed up and I though Matt did a good job. For me the worst parts where the star's in the off road car which had me reaching for the Ipad and Evans constant shouting and trying to raise the audience.

This show does need time to develop it's own personality so why not wait until the end of the series to see what happens rather the judge on 1 hour's television.

Clarkson was/is very good but he ain't coming back...(well not to this show anyway)....

• RMweb Premium

Just watched BBC3's ExtraGear on the iplayer. Much better than the main show, presenters more natural, nobody shouting and much more enjoyable. Good to see the other presenters in action.

Just watched BBC3's ExtraGear on the iplayer. Much better than the main show, presenters more natural, nobody shouting and much more enjoyable. Good to see the other presenters in action.

err...see my post #63.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Not good

Chris Evans is a poor presenter.

Matt Leblanc was quite good.

Didn't see 3 of the new presenters at all.

Sabine was wasted

Should have done a complete relaunch rather than a poor tribute act.