RMweb

Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

So any other thoughts on the preproduction sample? Here's mine after seeing it today.

I loved the delicacy of the lifting lugs.

It could do with the curved handrails on the cab end - they are moulded at present?

Super water fillers etc. on the inner ends though.

Enormous couplings! For propelling???

Nice face... unlike Hornbys VEP.

Missing the strip along the bottom edge of the body side? I thought they all had this but couldn't see it on the model.

Gorgeous bogies!

Overall very nice but not yet quite perfect.

Griff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good point there about the cab end handrails. It's also true that the side passenger door grab handles are moulded on too. A bit of a pity on a model at this price point, but they don't look too bad I suppose.

• RMweb Premium

Splendid choice by Kernow!! This is one of the better announcements of the last few years and I hope that it sells well and that Kernow make a good return. On price, yes it is pricey but if people might struggle to afford it then they can cut back on other stuff or save for a bit longer. If people can afford it but just don't feel it offers value for money then they should just move on and accept that the price is what it is as otherwise it is a bit like Canute and the tide. That said, I also think that its a free world and that people have every right to make their views known, both good and bad.

• Like 2

Looks pretty good to me. Be interesting to see if Kernow include the minor variations in the Driver Trailer Second (DTS) that were incorporated during their lives.

The preproduction sample includes the headlight at the bottom of the connecting door which was a relatively late addition to the units.

The images on page 1 show one end with the light and the other without so it appears that both variants are catered for.

If I was to order a 32-646Z Bachmann Class 438 unit number 8007 in BR Research red and blue livery​, what do I get

A 4 coach  set in BR Research red and blue livery

or 2 coaches in BR Research red and blue livery & 2 coaches in Network SouthEast livery

or the 6 coach set as illustrated

post-28417-0-13320400-1466296031.jpg

John

If I was to order a 32-646Z Bachmann Class 438 unit number 8007 in BR Research red and blue livery​, what do I get

A 4 coach  set in BR Research red and blue livery

or 2 coaches in BR Research red and blue livery & 2 coaches in Network SouthEast livery

or the 6 coach set as illustrated

attachicon.giftc4.jpg

John

Good Morning John from the sunny UK  :haha:

Being that it's a 4-TC you will get 4 items of rolling stock (The standard 4-TC set). The item description state's "32-646Z Bachmann Class 438 unit number 8007 in BR Research red and blue livery" this indicates the unit is in red and blue livery. 

So to answer your question you will get a 4 coach set in BR Research red and blue livery.

Hope that helps?

Cheers Darren NSE DAZ

Edited by NSE DAZ

• RMweb Gold

Further to this.

That enormous coupling...it's non standard looking job. Not the usual bar or NEM pocket. So you might have the devils own job of coupling a couple of coaches in between without even considering any wireing issues. It would be interesting to know more about this coupling. Email to Kernow perhaps? I know I should have asked them yesterday ;)

Griff

• RMweb Premium

An additional point from that 4Rep/TC combination is that the Rep has at some point been turned as the usual operating practice was for the brake first to be at the London end and the buffet vehicle to be at the country end of the unit.

Further to which the Rep was normally at the London end of the train with one or two TC units at the country end.  Exceptions did occur with the Rep amidships.  Normal SR practice was to have a 12-car train which included a catering vehicle to have that unit marshalled in the middle such as Cor-Res/Buf/Gri - Cor, Cep-Bep-Cep and Cig-Big-Cig.  With the need to sometimes have 8 cars working through west of Bournemouth this was not adopted with the LSWR main line electrification and the Rep was almost, but not always, at the Waterloo end with the restaurant car third along.  Dining passengers were served at-seat in the adjacent DMSO.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for reference on the question of cost you could always order a Britannia Pacific 4-TC.

http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/4tc.htm

Hi Martin

I have already commented on the DEMU forum to your post but for those who are not DEMU members I will repeat my reply on here.

The Britannia Pacific Models 4TC is £320, and they state that there is a two to five month delay from ordering to delivery (fair enough as each model is built to the customer's specification).

It saddens me in some respects, the likes of Britannia and MJT (in kit form) have been producing these for some time  and I bet their sales have been lowish. Then all of a sudden there is an RTR model and forums like this start to jump up and down "Just what I want :locomotive: :locomotive: ", "How much?" and "Not in the livery I want!".

Well I am off back to the North side of the Thames where the catenary is not on the ground. As much as I like SR EMUs 4TC is just outside my time period and well outside my modelling areas.

• Like 1

Living up north I never knew these things existed so they are essentially coaching stock with cabs! Looks good but not something I would be looking to purchase but good luck to Bachmann/ kernow anyway.

Surprised no one has mentioned price yet

Mark

Living up north I never knew these things existed so they are essentially coaching stock with cabs! Looks good but not something I would be looking to purchase but good luck to Bachmann/ kernow anyway.

Surprised no one has mentioned price yet

Mark

You're the first! ;)

• Like 1

Very tempted by this in NSE.

Apologies for the terrible quality (scan of a print) but here is a 3TC in NSE at Southampton in either 1991 or 1992 (83301 was there on the same day with the red and blue 4TC).

post-28887-0-38135200-1466334059_thumb.jpg

Teabag

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have had a very prompt reply from Kernow.

I believe the couplings at the outer ends of the sets are standard but not having seen it myself I could well be wrong, it's wired throughout using connectors similar to the Bachmann Blue Pullman, these allow full electrical connectivity meaning only one DCC chip is required for the whole unit while also allowing relatively easy uncoupling should it be required. These are quite large but seem to be very effective at pulling, propelling and of course electrical connectivity as mentioned above.

Thanks for your enquiry

So they are similar to the ones on the BP

Griff

• RMweb Gold

With Bratchell Models offering a 455/8 and 455/9 (OK, they're not RTR, but are painted already), Kernow (or anyone else) would have to be really sure they'd get their investment back, and in these troubled times they might not wish to perhaps. They might well be better following on with a 4REP to complement the 4TC and other similar units.

I'd rather someone were to release an (or several) Electrostar(s).

I have to admit I gulped when I saw the price myself. I'm not a southern region modeller so I won't be buying one. As has been said it works out about £70 per coach. But If someone was to make a class 303 at about £70 a coach I would definitely buy one or two or three. However they would need a motor in them. So it would probably end up costing more.

• Like 1

One Blue & Grey set duly ordered.

Hopefully will be able to order other livery's when funds permit.

Well done Kernow & Bachmann, wish you every success in this joint venture.

Thanks,  D7100.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just for reference on the question of cost you could always order a Britannia Pacific 4-TC.

http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/4tc.htm

Mmm a "bespoke handcrafted model" for £320 . Compares pretty favourably on price. Helps give some perspective. Thanks for link. Will have a look to see what else on offer. Must admit had never heard of Britannia Pacific.

Further Edit. Great I didn't realise they offer ready to run Glasgow Blue Train and DBSO . We still need to know what price Bachmann will charge for their forthcoming DBSO , but based on the 4TC cost I'm not encouraged. Looks like Britannia Pacific could well be less expensive for a tailor made model. Thanks again for link

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Apologies for the terrible quality (scan of a print) but here is a 3TC in NSE at Southampton in either 1991 or 1992 (83301 was there on the same day with the red and blue 4TC).

attachicon.gifScan10001.JPG

Teabag

That will be the resurrected 8001 that was reintroduced for the Kenny Belle.  Perhaps it was on its way from Bournemouth to Clapham?

Still looking for a photo to see if a Dutch one was seen with an NSE TC.

Scan10001.JPG

Teabag

When and where was the red and blue 4TC converted for research use and where did it get to on its travels? Jim

That will be the resurrected 8001 that was reintroduced for the Kenny Belle.  Perhaps it was on its way from Bournemouth to Clapham?

Still looking for a photo to see if a Dutch one was seen with an NSE TC.

It is possible but I can't help with any photos.

I do know that Dutch 33s have hauled NSE coaches and there are photos of that occurring, just not sure about any TCs.