Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

There's definitely demand for at least the kirk kits - they rarely go for less than £20 on ebay and sometimes go for over £30.

Then there's the strange ones - either people are getting carried away or they've not looked at the pictures of this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Model-Coach-Ian-Kirk-8813-L-N-E-R-Buffet-Car-Kit/282677938368

No sides?

Possibly they want the floor, ends and roof to go with etched sides. Still, £21 seems a bit steep for an incomplete shell.

Well I for one would love to get hold of a roof from a suburban coach to cut up for a D&S pidgeon van I have as the styrene roof is totally the wrong profile and I have looked at the roof from a Kirk kit that is the right profile which would save a lot of effort!

• RMweb Gold

Possibly they want the floor, ends and roof to go with etched sides. Still, £21 seems a bit steep for an incomplete shell.

It's silly money for an incomplete - which make me think it's not been read properly. Yes it's less than buying metal parts for the same thing - but then you get much better quality parts ;)

There's definitely demand for at least the kirk kits - they rarely go for less than £20 on ebay and sometimes go for over £30.

Then there's the strange ones - either people are getting carried away or they've not looked at the pictures of this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Model-Coach-Ian-Kirk-8813-L-N-E-R-Buffet-Car-Kit/282677938368

No sides?

Demand for a discontinued kit may not translate into a reintroduction/new kit for a model. Some may be trying to buy it just in case they might need one, or the fact that two or three modellers are willing to pay over the odds to get it

The reintroduction of the Southern coach kits will be a good test to see if there is still a demand for reintroducing discontinued items 

• RMweb Premium

Hi Doug,

What about this in the absence of the Kirk roof?

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2971V.php

Gaz.

Well I for one would love to get hold of a roof from a suburban coach to cut up for a D&S pidgeon van I have as the styrene roof is totally the wrong profile and I have looked at the roof from a Kirk kit that is the right profile which would save a lot of effort!

• RMweb Gold

Wizard Models list 3 Gresley carriage roofs.

• RMweb Gold

I do like the kirk kits - there's a lot of choice. I built a few many years ago and got some good results. I prefer the idea of etched kits but haven't tried one yet. Would really like to see the range available again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have one of he aluminium roofs but it is not a great fit on the van but the Kirk roof is.

I have some other stuff to be done at the moment to be too concerned. If I finally find a good roof I will grab one.

• 3 weeks later...

More on the saga of me v Paul Dunn.

On 2 October I requested a “Warrant of Control” and this was issued on the following day, being passed to the County Court at Taunton for execution. This morning, I received the following from the Court:

“The bailiff has visited the debtor’s address and spoken with the debtor who has refused to allow the bailiff peaceful entry. The bailiff manager has also visited the address and met with a similar response. The debtor is entitled to refuse the bailiff entry to domestic premises and in the circumstances, the bailiff has not has an opportunity to establish whether the debtor has goods which can be taken into control. The bailiff can take no further action unless you are able to provide further information to re-issue the warrant (for example, giving a description and location of other goods which belong to the debtor). You may have to pay a fee to reissue the warrant.

The warrant has been returned to the Court which issued it”.

I think it is abundantly clear than Dunn, far from sticking his head in the sand, is well versed on how to avoid his business liabilities. He is nothing less than a crook, a shyster and a con-man and anybody dealing with him, other than face-to-face, will never see either the goods they ordered or their money.

And if he wants to sue me for libel and defamation, I will be delighted to hear from him.

• RMweb Gold

"The bailiff can take no further action unless you are able to provide further information to re-issue the warrant (for example, giving a description and location of other goods which belong to the debtor)."

Well, if he attends an exhibition, he'll have a stall and stock.  A description could be "model railway kits and components" perhaps?

Amazing that the law works this way.  Does it also prevent the bailiff seizing a car or other vehicle parked on a domestic drive?  Or does that not apply because it might be worth much more than the debt?

• Like 1

....I think it is abundantly clear than Dunn, far from sticking his head in the sand, is well versed on how to avoid his business liabilities. He is nothing less than a crook, a shyster and a con-man and anybody dealing with him, other than face-to-face, will never see either the goods they ordered or their money.

And if he wants to sue me for libel and defamation, I will be delighted to hear from him.

Remember: you read it here first!

Is it not possible to apply for a Freezing Order?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"The bailiff can take no further action unless you are able to provide further information to re-issue the warrant (for example, giving a description and location of other goods which belong to the debtor)."

Well, if he attends an exhibition, he'll have a stall and stock.  A description could be "model railway kits and components" perhaps?

Amazing that the law works this way.  Does it also prevent the bailiff seizing a car or other vehicle parked on a domestic drive?  Or does that not apply because it might be worth much more than the debt?

A debtor is entitled to keep "tools of trade" which includes vehicles worth (IIRC) less than £1000.

And according to the Sheriffs are coming program, the sheriffs cannot enter a domestic property by force, either by going through an open door or being invited.

Can make forcible entry only on business premises.

No idea if he is going to shows now, if so inform the bailiffs of where and when 

Lots of good and helpful comments there – much appreciated.

As for bankruptcy petitions, freezing orders or taking a charge over property – first, the amount owed is really not worth it and second, these would probably involve the expense of a Solicitors – which again is simply not worth it.

I am annoyed I have thrown good money after bad but take the positive view that I have exposed Dunn for the unsavoury character he clearly is. Anybody dealing with Dunn through the Cooper Craft web site can now be in no doubt he is a person lacking in any conscience or moral compass. He will take your money and give you nothing in return.

Getting the bailiffs to approach him at a show may well be the best option – subject to knowing he will attend (the web site has not been updated for years, so it’s a question of trawling through show web sites to see which he is attending) and then giving the Court enough notice so they can take action. In the end, I’ll probably find that bailiffs do not work on Saturday!

What I propose to do in the short term is contact his web site provider, acquaint them with the situation and suggest this is not the sort of business they should be hosting. You will know if I am successful if the web site disappears.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it the Nottingham exhibition he attends, next one 17th & 18th March 2018?

He has in the past, he has attended Scaleforum and the Taunton show, but he was absent this year from both. I didn't get to RailWells this year so I don't know if he was there.

What I propose to do in the short term is contact his web site provider, acquaint them with the situation and suggest this is not the sort of business they should be hosting. You will know if I am successful if the web site disappears.

I fear you will be wasting more time. I have already tried this and made them aware that they are providing hosting for a trader who does not have the capacity to honour transactions made via their services and equipment.

They passed the buck and are obviously quite happy to continue hosting the site as long as they see some of his money (and stuff those who don't).

I certainly would not allow him to trade at any event I have anything to do with whilst there are unresolved complaints and legal action and would hope that other exhibition managers would take a similar view.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Lots of good and helpful comments there – much appreciated.

As for bankruptcy petitions, freezing orders or taking a charge over property – first, the amount owed is really not worth it and second, these would probably involve the expense of a Solicitors – which again is simply not worth it.

I am annoyed I have thrown good money after bad but take the positive view that I have exposed Dunn for the unsavoury character he clearly is. Anybody dealing with Dunn through the Cooper Craft web site can now be in no doubt he is a person lacking in any conscience or moral compass. He will take your money and give you nothing in return.

Getting the bailiffs to approach him at a show may well be the best option – subject to knowing he will attend (the web site has not been updated for years, so it’s a question of trawling through show web sites to see which he is attending) and then giving the Court enough notice so they can take action. In the end, I’ll probably find that bailiffs do not work on Saturday!

I seem to recall AndyY contacting his web host as a way to limit his activities. Might be worth sending him a PM?

Whoops, Posted at the same time as Andy replied

I was wondering if Worldpay was contacted as they are the organisation taking payments?

Edited by Ryde-on-time
  • Like 1