Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

....which you won't. It'll be what the enforcement officers come away with (and can liquidate). Will be interesting to see if he pretends to be out if they call....

This in itself raises more questions, such as "why take over a business that you have appear to have no real interest in running"?

He never said however that it related that way to the business, just to his personal interests.

He did say at ExpoEM he'd had some new etches done (possibly Blacksmith). He's often claimed he couldn't release the Blacksmith SR kits due to castings being a big jumble he had no idea about.

• RMweb Premium

He never said however that it related that way to the business, just to his personal interests.

He did say at ExpoEM he'd had some new etches done (possibly Blacksmith). He's often claimed he couldn't release the Blacksmith SR kits due to castings being a big jumble he had no idea about.

At several shows where I have seen him, he has had a laptop on which he has been doing the artwork for etches. No idea what though.

At several shows where I have seen him, he has had a laptop on which he has been doing the artwork for etches. No idea what though.

Is that a bit pointless given the difficulties of buying anything from him, except what stock he may have at shows???

Is that a bit pointless given the difficulties of buying anything from him, except what stock he may have at shows???

Living in Australia, I had all but given up on the range.

However, a very generous friend in the UK has helped me out and purchased from shows for me.

He does not appear to be able to mould under frames, but has plentiful stocks of most of the wagon bodies (I now have another 12 4 plank GWR opens) and he also seems to have etches but minus castings - also obtained etches for a Loriot D.

That being said, I would not risk clicking the "add to cart" button myself.

Regards,

Craig W

Don't know. I'm only speculating, if Dunn has no cash or valid credit/debit card available when the "repo men" call, they will take assets to the value of the debt. IF I have that choice, I'll probably take kits as I suspect the moulds are just scrap iron.

You won`t get the choice as stated above the seized goods will be put into auction and you will be paid from any proceeds. They might even struggle to get the amount you are owed. So any idea of becoming an instant kit producer can be forgotten.

Secondhand items do not fetch much at auction 

Edited by 40F

• RMweb Gold

This is all unfortunate.

Coopercraft have been part of the scene for so long

and it is a pity to fall amongst such hostility.

This is a hobby of enthusiasts and it is not good

that a rescue mission could not be organised

Noel

Hostility ?   With respect I think you've missed the whole point of the thread and peoples experiences. 

​As a trader he has taken money, not supplied the product and not refunded when asked. He has been taken to law through the civil court and found in the wrong, and at the last post had still not refunded.

As for a rescue mission, he has been offered help to get on an even keel by people such as Ian Kirk and did not respond. I think peoples patience has run out with him, I certainly ignore the range now and either source from elsewhere or produce my own in resin or etch.  

• Like 1

Hostility ?   With respect I think you've missed the whole point of the thread and peoples experiences. 

​As a trader he has taken money, not supplied the product and not refunded when asked. He has been taken to law through the civil court and found in the wrong, and at the last post had still not refunded.

As for a rescue mission, he has been offered help to get on an even keel by people such as Ian Kirk and did not respond. I think peoples patience has run out with him, I certainly ignore the range now and either source from elsewhere or produce my own in resin or etch.  

To add to Chris P  Bacon's comments:

He was also contacted with offers of help by Andy Y from here.

One can only assume that you haven't read the whole thread!

Khris

I know of at least one other approach, so it seems there have been several attempts, all genuine, and by people with the necessary will and expertise to help.

In these circumstances, I think it is understandable if patience and goodwill have been exhausted.

Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

I do hope, and assume, that the new owner of Cambrian Kits, who may, of course, be amongst us, is better able to carry on the range than was the purchaser of Coopercraft, Slaters, Kirk etc. 

I wish him luck.  If he does need help, however, I hope he will not be backward in coming forward.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is also the point that as consumers it's not our business to interfere in how a proprietor runs their business or what they want to do with it. What is our business is that if payment is accepted for goods or services then those goods or services should be delivered. Which is not happening in this case. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have no tme for the proprietor in this case based on what has been happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Wow just found this thread. I inadvertently ordered a few kirk coach kits from coopercraft a little while back - google took me straight to the page for it rather than to the home page which has the warning about his "machine". So I paid up £60 and waited.

And waited.

And called, got told machine not working with no known repair date. So I asked for a refund.

And waited.

on the 5th request I asked him to do it there and then on the phone, and he did. This was on Monday - and it's showing in my account.

Such a shame that he has been doing this to people, good luck to others trying to get their money back.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I often wonder if the forward orders for Coopercraft would enable the plastic injection machine return to working order.

Despite some 41 pages of forum, I'd suggest that an element of goodwill still exists for the product, even if the proprietor appears hell-bent on self destruction. 

Of course, the final outcome is mostly outside of our control, but it would be nice to see the product again. The second hand market appears to be fairly buoyant.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

There's definitely demand for at least the kirk kits - they rarely go for less than £20 on ebay and sometimes go for over £30.

Then there's the strange ones - either people are getting carried away or they've not looked at the pictures of this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Model-Coach-Ian-Kirk-8813-L-N-E-R-Buffet-Car-Kit/282677938368

No sides?