Cooper craft - Cautionary notes for customers - Its fate and thoughts on an alternative

Edwardian

• RMweb Premium

Phoenix don't appear to be selling anything at the moment: http://www.srg.org.uk/phoenix/

"The SRG is in the process of reviewing the stock and tooling for the kits over the winter of 2015/6, prior to a re-launch of the range in 2016."

Hi David

It is Phoenix Precision Paints that are making and selling the Exkirk Kits 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just filed papers against Dunn at the Small Claims Court. We will see what happens next.

Throwing good money after bad - but sometimes it is the principle that matters.

Any update on this please?

I thought they only made the two Bulleid coaches to make up a three car set?

The 1945 59 foot stock - set numbers 963-980 for Waterloo-Bournemouth-West of England.

Jason

Not forgetting the final years of the S&DJR

Edited by Ceptic

• RMweb Premium

I thought they only made the two Bulleid coaches to make up a three car set?

The 1945 59 foot stock - set numbers 963-980 for Waterloo-Bournemouth-West of England.

Jason

Ah, thanks, I thought there were more in the range for some reason.

Any update on this please?

At the risk of dragging this thread back on topic -

Me v Cooper Craft (Paul Dunn) – the story so far.

The first step in this protracted procedure was to issue a pro forma “Letter before Small Claims Court claim”, which was sent to Dunn on 9 April 2017 and gave him 28 days to respond. For various reasons, I gave him much longer than 28 days but eventually paid my £25 and Judgement was entered on 5 July 2017. There was then a problem as the Registry of Judgements queried Dunn’s address – only telling me this on 27 July. After much searching on the web, I found his full address appears to be “Willows”, Broom Lane, Oake, Taunton TA4 1BE and this was advised to the Court on 2 August. I then felt I had to wait a month in case any more queries were raised.

With no further contact from the Courts & Tribunals Service, I wrote to Dunn on 31 August giving him until 18 September to pay what I am owed plus Court costs to date. I advised Dunn that, if I did not hear from him by 18 September, I will proceed to enforcement.

Up to today, there has been no contact from Dunn.

Enforcement costs £77 (for which Dunn will be liable) any will likely involve Court Officers calling at his home to obtain payment in cash, or to seize assets to the full value of the amount owed. The enforcement fee is no small sum (which I can ill afford to throw down the pan), but having come this far, I feel I have no option but to carry on regardless. Chances are, he will plead he has no money or assets – but I know from posts here he is still trading and has stock. If he tries a “sob story”, he will get no sympathy out of me!

I really do not understand this guy. He is either very stupid in ignoring debts, or feels he can get away with his actions as the amounts are small and we are unlikely to take the time, trouble and expense of Court action. However, I feel somebody must take a stand – and I’m drawing the short straw.

Looks as if I may well find myself with several dozen Cooper Craft kits – or even the moulds for the Slater’s GWR clerestory coaches! E-Bay will be busy.

I will keep you all informed.

The first step in this protracted procedure was to issue a pro forma “Letter before Small Claims Court claim”, which was sent to Dunn on 9 April 2017 and gave him 28 days to respond. For various reasons, I gave him much longer than 28 days but eventually paid my £25 and Judgement was entered on 5 July 2017. There was then a problem as the Registry of Judgements queried Dunn’s address – only telling me this on 27 July. After much searching on the web, I found his full address appears to be “Willows”, Broom Lane, Oake, Taunton TA4 1BE and this was advised to the Court on 2 August. I then felt I had to wait a month in case any more queries were raised.

With no further contact from the Courts & Tribunals Service, I wrote to Dunn on 31 August giving him until 18 September to pay what I am owed plus Court costs to date. I advised Dunn that, if I did not hear from him by 18 September, I will proceed to enforcement.

Enforcement costs £77 (for which Dunn will be liable) any will likely involve Court Officers calling at his home to obtain payment in cash, or to seize assets to the full value of the amount owed. The enforcement fee is no small sum (which I can ill afford to throw down the pan), but having come this far, I feel I have no option but to carry on regardless. Chances are, he will plead he has no money or assets – but I know from posts here he is still trading and has stock. If he tries a “sob story”, he will get no sympathy out of me!

I really do not understand this guy. He is either very stupid in ignoring debts, or feels he can get away with his actions as the amounts are small and we are unlikely to take the time, trouble and expense of Court action. However, I feel somebody must take a stand – and I’m drawing the short straw.

Looks as if I may well find myself with several dozen Cooper Craft kits – or even the moulds for the Slater’s GWR clerestory coaches! E-Bay will be busy.

As the person invoking the enforcement, do you get to choose what it taken in lieu of money?

• RMweb Premium

As the person invoking the enforcement, do you get to choose what it taken in lieu of money?

Hi Guy

I think the bailiffs choose what they can get a quick return on, because they need paying. So the telly and car would be picked in preference to the pile of brass plates with groves cut in them, unless the scrap price of brass is high when they visit.  

Don't know. I'm only speculating, if Dunn has no cash or valid credit/debit card available when the "repo men" call, they will take assets to the value of the debt. IF I have that choice, I'll probably take kits as I suspect the moulds are just scrap iron.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Paul Dunn's behaviour really is unfathomable.

Thanks for keeping us all informed.

Paul Dunn's behaviour really is unfathomable.

He's always stated quite clearly that model railways were of secondary interest to him in contrast to his interest in restoring the real thing.

• RMweb Gold

Don't know. I'm only speculating, if Dunn has no cash or valid credit/debit card available when the "repo men" call, they will take assets to the value of the debt. IF I have that choice, I'll probably take kits as I suspect the moulds are just scrap iron.

Perhaps the bailiffs can be steered towards the kits you would like the most?  :scratchhead:

I'm sure we could offer suggestions.  Would you like a list?  :jester:

• Like 1

.... IF I have that choice, ....

....which you won't. It'll be what the enforcement officers come away with (and can liquidate). Will be interesting to see if he pretends to be out if they call....

He's always stated quite clearly that model railways were of secondary interest to him in contrast to his interest in restoring the real thing.

This in itself raises more questions, such as "why take over a business that you have appear to have no real interest in running"? Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2