Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

Thanks for letting me know about the SR van. Fascinating van - alas, I guess it was probably scrapped before my period, the 1950s, so even if I could locate a surviving 3D one, it would be too anachronistic even for my interpretation of Rule No 1!

David C

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2024 at 15:01, David C said:

Thanks for letting me know about the SR van. Fascinating van - alas, I guess it was probably scrapped before my period, the 1950s, so even if I could locate a surviving 3D one, it would be too anachronistic even for my interpretation of Rule No 1!

David C

Not at all - four survived into BR ownership and the last one lasted until 1956. Rails did do a version in BR livery.

• Informative/Useful 2

In re the 3D printed vans, I personally think a lot of makes are misusing 3D printings benefits.   I'd wager there'd be at least some reduction of cost if some of these cottage builders or shops produced with resin, and only printed prototypes.

(Sorry for the drift.  Seemed like a suitable time to pose.  Great pics as usual!)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

In re the 3D printed vans, I personally think a lot of makes are misusing 3D printings benefits.   I'd wager there'd be at least some reduction of cost if some of these cottage builders or shops produced with resin, and only printed prototypes.

Don't forget you're paying for design and intellectual property.  The materials, I guess to a degree, are negligible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

That’s a lovely scene with Broom Hall John thank you.

I’ve spent the afternoon reading again “The great way west” from 1975 and “GWR then and now” from 1994.

Your photos fit into that very nicely. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The pose of the footplate crew is very typical, the fireman wearing his firing jacket - in BR days you had to do 300 turns to be issued with one, don't know about GWR ...

The driver leaning over the reverser looking out of the forward cab window or is he adjusting the lubricator?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, John Besley said:

The pose of the footplate crew is very typical,

19 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

ModeIu if I'm not mistaken.

Modelu indeed - haven't they been a godsend to the hobby? I'm glad Broome Hall's crew pass muster. I think it's 63 years since I was on the footplate of a loco in steam, a Hall as it happens. While waiting at Kingswear for its departure time back home to Taunton the driver invited me into the cab and asked me whether his engine was "one of Mr Churchward's" or one of Mr Collett's. Happy days. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

That starter is properly pulled orf

Yeah - positively droopy.  Trouble with the first generation Dapol plug 'n' play signals is that they tend to droopiness after a few years even when in the 'on' position.

Bit like many of us maybe.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 7

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I am not looking forward to getting old...

Provided your health is good , the secret to enjoying old age is … Fizz!

That is :

Physical activity 

Intellectual stimulation 

Some form of Spirituality

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just been online to order one of those nice ex-Caledonian Railway vans. <Groan>  Seems to be something new to order every other day. Are these people at Rapido and Accurascale trying to bankrupt me?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

So let’s all stay in the mid-1930’s

In my head I am still in my mid 30’s but the old bod is not so easily fooled having reached the life stage that Billy Connolly coined. You know your old when getting out of the chair provokes an “oooooh ya Buddha”

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Are these people at Rapido and Accurascale trying to bankrupt me?

Did you notice the slight price increase John 😟 , having said that we really have never had it so good.👍

• Agree 6