Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layouts or articles in magazines that have inspired you.

Guest eddie reffin

In a "best layout you never saw in the flesh" moment, I would also like to add New Annington as another. I saw plenty of photos but never the real thing.

I did pick up a copy of a Model Rail special about painting and weathering which I have found invaluable. But it's about doing the practice stuff which is of more interest to me rather than the endless reviews etc that are across all the titles.

Most of my modelling ideas and research come from getting access to various real locations through my job or on here. Not always they way you would imagine either. I look at some threads and think, "WTF!" We all start somewhere and I certainly have a lot to learn but a very small number of people on t'interweb can't accept any form of constructive criticism! But that's me just taking it way off topic!

Just to add another layout- Dudley Heath N gauge layout. Amazing use of space to have a two sided layout.

• RMweb Gold

Not forgetting the many layouuts in EM, P4 and 7mm by Ken Ashberry and his Ashdon and Midport layouts......

post-17779-0-03820100-1467905182_thumb.jpg

And then Pendlebury  by Bert Topping in the 1970`s in early P4 and that ....... tree....

post-17779-0-52333500-1467905194_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

As for what sort of layout articles I'd like to see - some "switching" microlayouts could be interesting, especially if they include tricks to maximise the amount of action that could be packed into a small space - especially if the articles include layout plans and detailed information on how they were built (with emphasis on wiring and board construction - and how to build any "technical" bits, like traversers).

Have you seen my article in RM last year (Sept or Oct - memory is playing up!) explaining the theory of how 'Enigma Engineering' works?  Nothing particularly original but hopefully the sort of thing you are mentioning.

I have LOADS of layouts that influenced me over the years, especially in the late 50's when I first started modelling and then again in the 70's when I got back into it.  To many to list here!

• RMweb Gold

I agree that Asdon and Midport was an early inspiration. I first came across it when I got a little Ian Allen book on model railways, and it had some pictures in there. As a youngster, I used to get old copies of the Modeller etc, and came across Berrow/East Brent too.

Eastwell Ironstone in a mid-late 90s BRM springs to mind as an inspiration.

Other nice stuff over the years but Eastwell Ironstone is the only one that really sticks in the mind.  And still has me scheming industrial railway ideas probably a decade now since I regrettably binned my copy of the magazine.

Oh, and the few Alpraham Sidings articles which I have so far read, by Don Rowland in MRJ.  Equally inspiring.

Edited by Jamie
  • Like 1

There are two layouts from issues of Railway Modeller which that inspired me to build an end-to-end shunting layout.  Rowthorne is a countryside station which typically sees a first generation multiple unit or a steam locomotive with a pick up freight.  Pallet Lane is a station in an industrial city and features a cement plant.  Both are a similar size and have a run around loop, a couple of sidings and a hidden fiddle yard.  The modelling skills that built the layouts are evident in both, so it's well worth looking at a few photographs, both layouts can be found online.

The creator of Rowthorne gave an interview for the RM Christmas DVD.  He explained how, when placing scenery on the layout, he would start placing scenery at one end, then decide what would "Fall into place" next; this sounds like a good approach to me.  Pallet Lane has a topic on this forum.

One of the first Toddlers I read contained an article by John Charman on Charford and that inspired an enduring love of the ex-LSWR lines.  However, I shifted my interest back from the Southern to the LSWR period.

A later article on timetables for Charford, together with articles on the layout and stock working on Portreath, gave me an interest in proper operation of lay outs, such that after retirement I have qualified as a signalman at the Bluebell Railway.  Looking at an index of Toddler articles, I must have been only 8 at the time of the original article, as it appeared in April 1955(!), so perhaps it was the later on in December 1959 (I am in holiday and don't have access to my store of old RMs).  John Charman wrote many other inspiring articles on building Charford (originally built in a caravan!) as listed in this RMWeb post.

Mick t

For me it was P D Hancock, that mix of narrow gauge and Scottish standard gauge steam had me captivated.  I am fortunate that many years later I find myself as custodian of much of what survives of Craigshire and the Craig and Mertonford.  

The1950's were a golden era for the Edinburgh and Lothians MRC which included amongst its members, P D Hancock, Ken Northwood, John Charman, Sir Eric Hutchison and Don Rowland.   As custodian of Craigshire I have been undertaking research into P D Hancock and his work and have what I hope is the definitive list of P D Hancock's articles.  As time permits I am delving into the work of Ken, John, Don and Sir Eric and I am particularily grateful to the link to the archived RMWeb post containing a list of the articles by John Charman.  A few more gaps have been filled.  Does anyone out there have a list of the articles by Ken Northwood and Sir Eric [whose work goes back to 1925] and for that matter, Don Rowland.  I already have a list of articles but I suspect there are gaps.

Malcolm

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
  Does anyone out there have a list of the articles by Ken Northwood and Sir Eric [whose work goes back to 1925] and for that matter, Don Rowland.  I already have a list of articles but I suspect there are gaps.

Malcolm

Perhaps start 3 threads (one for each), with what listings you already have and I'm sure other will come along and add to them.

Edit to include.

Some of these I could add to, but no point repeating what you already have.

Edited by kevinlms

Another vote for the work of Chris Ellis in Scale Model Trains which first appeared when I returned to the hobby in 1982. Small layouts, good 'how to' articles and the fact that there are railways outside of BR.

Others would the Model Rail section of Rail magazine as it showed D&E modelling rather than the constant stream (or so it seemed) of steam BLTs that were in the other mags.

Martin Brent's Arcadia also took my eye along with Ian Futers Newcastle Haymarket, which I was able to operate a couple of tomes.

steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hursley and Petherick for me. Showed exactly what could be done when you consider the scene as a whole rather than just cramming lots of track on to a flat board.

Sadly much of the "how realistic are you models?" photo thread shows that many folk consider realism is gained by photographing in B&W rather than modelling how the real world looks and works.

• Like 2

Hi All

Eric Kidd's Longdrem and Pinkhill branch indicating railways around Edinburgh in the 1950's did it for me.

Great layout with lots of detail and a fabulous collection of locomotives as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Steve (Grantham) for reminding me of the late, much missed Martin Brent. Most of his models (Winchelsea Road, Arcadia, Rye Harbour - my favorite! - and Hope Mill) were of an area of the country I was largely unfamiliar with, yet captivated by his models I was inspired to seek it out. The old Model Railways featured the first three of those layouts. They were all fabulous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The late David Lloyd's Augher Valley, in, I think April 1964 RM. Then Vivien Thompson proving LB&SCR was a viable prototype.

I managed to find an online copy of the Augher Valley text and re-read it recently with pleasure. David mentioned the scenery being the work of a gifted friend, Peter Midwinter. I believe we have one such-named member, although he does not post under that name, and cannot recall his handle here. Are they one and the same? The article, and hence the modelling, is now more than 50 years old!

• RMweb Premium

I managed to find an online copy of the Augher Valley text and re-read it recently with pleasure. David mentioned the scenery being the work of a gifted friend, Peter Midwinter. I believe we have one such-named member, although he does not post under that name, and cannot recall his handle here. Are they one and the same? The article, and hence the modelling, is now more than 50 years old!

I believe that they are indeed one and the same. He goes by the name of 'trains 12' here.

Four in particular and in alphabetical order;

Berrow & East Brent. Mac Pyrke. I operated this with Mac at a MRC exhibition 1977/78?. Strict sequence operation and impeccable running.

Borchester. Frank Dyer. I saw at another MRC exhibition 1949/9, run to a sequence and most enjoyable to watch.

Buckingham. Peter Denny. A complete railway nicely done from inception, execution to operating.

Tyling. Ken Payne. My first introduction to modelling the GWR. Neat and orderly.

With then came fine RM articles, C J Freezer knew what he was doing.

Of course, there are others but these are toward the top of my list.

• Like 2

The layout which impressed me when I first saw it at a Bristol exhibition (Whiteladies Road I think) was Borchester Market, wonderful stuff.  Frank Dyer then wrote some highly detailed articles covering model railway operation for MRJ in the late eighties, well worth reading.  It was the operation of the railway which made a pleasure to watch, quite simply it looked like the real railway.  Sadly Frank is no longer with us, but the layout lives on in the care of Newhaven MRC.

• 2 weeks later...

Four in particular and in alphabetical order;

Berrow & East Brent. Mac Pyrke. I operated this with Mac at a MRC exhibition 1977/78?. Strict sequence operation and impeccable running.

Borchester. Frank Dyer. I saw at another MRC exhibition 1949/9, run to a sequence and most enjoyable to watch.

Buckingham. Peter Denny. A complete railway nicely done from inception, execution to operating.

Tyling. Ken Payne. My first introduction to modelling the GWR. Neat and orderly.

With then came fine RM articles, C J Freezer knew what he was doing.

Of course, there are others but these are toward the top of my list.

Not to mention all of your articles, John. :imsohappy:

• 3 weeks later...

I remember Ian Futers early 70's diesel depot layout and all the MTK type2's. Another small layout which appeared around the sametime was an American N scale one by David Jenkinson's son,Seattle and Carlisle? The colour art work Roy Link used also inspired me , I remember one N gauge plan in an urban setting, Passing Trains I think.

late to the game but mine are:

Garsdale Road; I still have the RM that I use to read constantly though rather battered now.

Bredon; For the compactness and photography of the layout made me think I could achieve something in my bedroom in small space.

Pendon; taken as a small kid and had a lasting effect on me specially the bridge scene.

Littleton Curve; just caught the imagination and the scenics were pretty mind blowing at a young age. Got to see it long time later in reality and still as good.

MRJ; though i came to this later in life I have been inspired by may things over the years and still read regularly back issues pulled out at random.

Allan Downes and Iain C Robinsons amazing buildings and scenery in RM 80's just blown away and now seen them on here :)

Theres numerous others including stuff in CM that shaped my Swiss addiction but these are the ones I remember being influential in my early years.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this layout in a number of threads but...

For me it has to be Ivydale (All Hallows) featured in the December 1996 Railway Modeller. It was a Gauge 3 standard gauge light railway terminus, so simple but so effective. Given the scale, it was a true micro layout (12' by 2') but is just packs with atmosphere and feeling - it is everything I would like to aspire to in my modelling. I keep going back to this article all the time and it is my goal to attempt something similar in O Gauge over the next few years. The trackplan is based on Wantage and can be operated by a small tank engine a couple of 4-wheel coaches and a handful of wagons, right up my street and well worth a look if 'backwater' railways are your thing! It is still inspirational 20 years on :)

• Like 1

I remember Ian Futers early 70's diesel depot layout and all the MTK type2's. Another small layout which appeared around the sametime was an American N scale one by David Jenkinson's son,Seattle and Carlisle? The colour art work Roy Link used also inspired me , I remember one N gauge plan in an urban setting, Passing Trains I think.

You've just reminded me what a revelation Ian's 'Lochside' terminus was back in 1980 when it was featured in Railway Modeller!

You've just reminded me what a revelation Ian's 'Lochside' terminus was back in 1980 when it was featured in Railway Modeller!

I mentioned that a few pages back. All those dirty diesels when the prevailing "wisdom" at the time was P4 had to be pre-grouping with immaculate locomotives.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Just to throw in a further one...another inspiring one for me was 'Horselunges' - light railway atmosphere again, this time in P4 and exquisitely modelled.it appeared in the RM around 1996 time if I remember rightly. I did manage to see this layout in the flesh around a decade ago and it didn't disappoint at all!