The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Beautiful / good looking cars

Rugd1022

Must admit I do have a soft spot for some 60s/70s Alfas, Lancias and Fiats.

The nissan Murano is definitely one of the better looking 4x4s.

Can't get my head around the Princess though. I had the misfortune to be driving one for a couple of months and was genuinely embarassed to be seen in it.

The Princess WAS a looker back then. It was the first car I bought brand new, back in November 1975. ... But the Princess wedge shape to me, aged 23 back then was just sooo "modern image" compared with other cars.

It did look nice compared with other 1975 cars. Now? Sadly, less so I suspect.

When released I have to agree. It stood out in the crossover category as something different.

The cabriolet version is hideous.

• RMweb Gold

it was quite 'space age' looking when it first came out 12 years ago, always liked them from day 1 and i think its stood the test of time looks wise, almost like a quashquai on steroids, mine is 11 years old had done 190000 miles but i only gave £2k for it which when you consider it was about £25k new in 2005 is a bargain, ive not had to spend much on it, an engine temp sensor and rear pads were essentials and i replaced the seized rear wiper motor with one from a scrappy

the only thing that lets it down is the lack of what we would consider to be 'standard' technology these days, things like auto wipers, auto lights, daylight running lights etc, when i got it it had a cassette player fitted as standard running a Bose setup which ive swapped for a cd/ipod/bluetooth headunit but it also has things like a separate built in sat nav and reversing camera screen, real double standards!

agreed, the cabrio is awful!

i do like the new shape one though, think they do it as a diesel too, will have to wait another 12 years til i can afford one of those though!

• RMweb Gold

My all-time favourites:

Sports Cars: Austin Healey 3000, Jaguar XK150 - preferably the FHC, AC Cobra, Aston Martin DB4GT Zagato - Best looking and one of the rarest cars ever.

Saloons/GTs: Sunbeam Rapier (Mk4 or 5, I think - the one with the turned out fins from the early-mid 1960s); I learned on my dad's Minx, wanted a Rapier but never did get one. Vauxhall Firenza 2300 Sport SL - mine was a bit of a dog by the time it got to me but still quick and the shape was so much more Pony Car than the rather bland Capris, most of which only had 1300 or 1600 motors anyway.  BMW 635 CSi - I once nearly bought a 628 but decided it was half measures - silly move, same gorgeous shape and the 2.8 more than quick enough to get me banned!  Ultimate Fantasy - Jensen Interceptor or preferably FF. 

Current Cars: My favourite is the Porsche Cayman. Mind you, I saw a new Mustang 5.0 in the station car park on Tuesday and I definitely wouldn't say no. 

John

... BMW 635 CSi - I once nearly bought a 628 but decided it was half measures - silly move, same gorgeous shape and the 2.8 more than quick enough to get me banned! ...

Tried a 628 once. It was slow by comparison, and automatic gearbox didn't really help. Never a big seller in the UK - 1600 at most. On the other hand, it drank marginally less than a 635.

• RMweb Premium

The E Type has to be one of the all time best looking cars. Also agree about Miura.

Best of the BL cars I think was the SD1 Vitesse.

Original Range Rover is also a style icon (unlike the current vent in doors one).

I am not a fan of overblown, over obvious grills, a lot of cars are spoilt by overdone ones, especially where the front end is almost distorted to fit a large chrome device off a pre war car.

Enjoying your responses gents, keep 'em coming!

The urge to add the Miura in my OP was very strong, I was wondering how long it would be before one of you mentioned it. Still achingly beautiful in the flesh fifty years after it was introduced. Italian exotics are an easy and very obvious choice of course, but the fact that they really ​were ​so exotic in the '60s and '70s is what set them apart from the run of the mill stuff your Uncle Reg used to buy. They conjured up images of a truly jet set lifestyle, posh, unattainable dolly birds with perfect blond hair and the Milk Tray man! As a nipper I recall one of our neighbour's relatives would turn up in some seriously expensive machines on family visits, the likes of which I'd only ever seen in magazine picture or on the telly, heady stuff for me living on the very edge of a council estate, the most impressive by far being the dark blue Maserati Bora he rocked up in one Sunday morning. I was about eight years old at the time and circled it on my bike just staring at it, looking in through the windows at the oh so chic white leather bucket seats. I thought the stainless steel roof panel gave it an air of science fiction too. When he came out of the house, jumped in and fired it up my little face must have bee na picture, and then he drove off leaving a whiff of hot oil and petrol in his noisy wake. Subsequently he appeared in an orange Porsche 914 which looked like a giant Dinky toy on its Fuchs alloy 'whizz wheels' and a lime green 911 Targa, but the sight (and sound) of that fabulous Maserati has stayed with me ever since. It made our next door neighbour's tatty 'Mk1 Mini Traveller look Victorian!

The rear aspect of the Bora is perhaps not its best view but I'll never tire of its sharklike front end...

post-7638-0-72606400-1467993709_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tried a 628 once. It was slow by comparison, and automatic gearbox didn't really help. Never a big seller in the UK - 1600 at most. On the other hand, it drank marginally less than a 635.

I must admit, the auto was what put me off as I prefer to stir my own - did all the 628s have slushboxes?

I must admit, the auto was what put me off as I prefer to stir my own - did all the 628s have slushboxes?

The auto was standard, but you could specify a 5-speed manual (supposedly 2 secs quicker to 60 than the auto). Manuals very thin on the ground, and I've never seen a manual 628.

Can't remember if limited slip diff was an option for 628s; it certainly was for the 635.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif Mazda6.jpg

I think Mazda did well with this one

and unlike most picture in this thread, it belongs to me... well my company... but bare in mind that in Denmark one like this cost £45,000 because of out 180% car tax.

Just finished reading the Brooklands Road Test book on the Ford GT40 and about to order the one on Lolas! (note to self, must track down and purchase the Tamiya T70 kit one day).

Another lovely looking and rare piece of exotica here, only ever seen two in the flesh, both parked up in Kensington in the early '80s a couple of days apart - Monteverdi 375...

post-7638-0-92400400-1468002583.jpg

And a cheeky / gratuitous Miura pic, as if an excuse were ever needed...

post-7638-0-19968000-1468002924_thumb.jpg

Edit : just remembered - there's a yellow Lola T70 in the collection at Coventry Transport Museum.

Archived