The BT cab is supposed to be the same type, it is just a very bad model.

Road Transport Images do produce the correct 1964 version

http://www.roadtransportimages.com/online-shop/item/103-bmc-fj-1964-f-c-cab-with-vac-glazing

Thanks for that, yes spot on, there was me scratching my head how I missed that when I realised I had searched the site under Leyland and hadn't considered BMC! Will see how my "bash" turns out (as it hasn't cost anything) and if I can't live with it I will order the one linked.

Thanks.

Martyn

Almost finished the MacFisheries lorry now, quite happy with how the cab has turned out after a fair bit of further work so will probably keep it. Just needs the cab interior sorting and glazing now (it is still only loose fitted in the pics) and cabside crests (railway ones from my transfers collection will suffice) and the circular van side logos added. And the obligatory weathering to finish!

post-28743-0-80179600-1513851809_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-97725200-1513851840_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-17263700-1513851880_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-14943600-1513851925_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-01693700-1513851966_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Compliments of the season to all.

With all modelling having ceased over Christmas (my modelling area being sacrificed to a larger dining table), it was nice to get to Llandudno Swapmeet today to regain some modelling mojo. I came away with this haul of old coaches:

post-28743-0-67116900-1514397101_thumb.jpg

Top are 3 Trix short Mk.1s for butchering to complete my Class 126 DMU set;

A Mainline RMB for tidying etc but otherwise to use as is; and 2 Triang Mk.1s to butcher into a BFK (I have some Replica windows ready for this if they fit).

The best bit is they were all £3 each, except for one Trix coach at £5.50. Happy days!

Now, where did my toolbox go???!

• Like 7

Made a start this afternoon on producing a cut & shut Mk.1 BFK (Dia.161) using the Triang BSK & CK purchased for £3 each the other day. Apart from the price, the nice thing about the design of Triang Mk.1's is that the chassis and roof make the perfect jig when it comes to gluing the body side sections together, making such conversions ideal for a first time cut & shut project; you can take it as far as you feel comfortable in terms of altering other details such as the roof and underframe, bogies, end detail etc - in short the sort of project I like! I used photos freely available online as well as the Barrowmore BR hauled stock drawings.

The state of play this afternoon:

post-28743-0-69734400-1514583496_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-07159400-1514583531_thumb.jpg

A long strip of 3mm wide 40thou plasticard was glued inside along the length of the side to reinforce the joins (just below the windows). Filler yet to be applied to the joints.

If running with other Triang coaches it could be left as is after a repaint. However for my needs I intend to mix this vehicle in with modern Bachmann coaches so it is my intention to fit new vents to the roof, lower and move the bogies inward 2mm at each end to give correct bogie centres (may swap them for some spare Bachmann Commonwealths), remove the top 4 end steps and fit new buffers at each end, improve the underframe detail (mainly using bits from my spares box) and flush glaze the windows (after repainting in blue/grey livery - unfortunately the Replica windows are a tad small to fit nicely, so will have to resort to SEF or cut each window pane individually as with the Class 126).

If it turns out well I may do a couple of other conversions to produce a RSO (Dia 56) and BSO (Dia 183) if I find some more cheap coaches.

Edit re flush glazing comment.

Edited by Signaller69
  • Like 8

Looking forward to seeing an RSO conversion :)

May be some while yet, but its on my to do list! Window spacing needs some research, I think they are the same as 1st class spacings but not 100% sure. Unfortunately the diagram isn't covered in the BR Diagram book 200 on the Barrowmore site (presumably all had been long withdrawn by the date of publication).

Almost finished the MacFisheries lorry now, quite happy with how the cab has turned out after a fair bit of further work so will probably keep it. Just needs the cab interior sorting and glazing now (it is still only loose fitted in the pics) and cabside crests (railway ones from my transfers collection will suffice) and the circular van side logos added. And the obligatory weathering to finish!

attachicon.gifIMG_20171221_101214_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171221_101246_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171221_101314_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171221_101356_1.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20171221_101717_1.jpg

You made that out of a Ford D Wagon cab??

Respect!

Looks like the old BMC cab to me!!

Being an old fat beggar!! I have to ask, You are going to move the seats apart aren't you??

On a different topic, the cut and shut Hornby Mk1s have got my juices flowing! I was looking at ways to do a 'Collars and Cuffs' set using some Hornby Mk1 coaches that have been in my custody for 40 odd years! Seeing what you have done has definitely got me thinking!

Collars and Cuffs is my old mate Mikes phrase to describe running old stuff, allbeit detailed, in a set by itself. It works.

Look at at least one suburban train on 'Liverpool Lime Street'. Graham Farish suburban coaches! Might be generic, but they work in a set by themselves! What is more, you can run them amongst more modern stock and it works 'cos they are in their own set.

What I am drivelling on about is, you are modelling like we used to do in the '70s. You mucked about with stuff to make what you wanted. Lord and Lady, it felt good when it worked!!

Keep up the good work,

Chris.

• Like 1

IIRC, the RSO has one more window than the RFO......

Thanks also had 2 toilet cubicles opposite each other at one end; basically looked like a standard SO/SK bodyshell but without the centre doors on either side, which of course affects the window spacing. . .

The original RSO and RFO had no centre doors or vestibules. For the RFO this gave the same window spacing as an FK, but there was no direct equivalent for the RSO in the TK/SK, each bay being a bit wider. I might have a small diagram in an old coaching stock abc.

Thanks Bernard, I did wonder if the window spacing was more than standard 2nd class but less than standard 1st class, which could well be the case. Mousa Models do etched sides for this diagram if I get really stuck but that would be cheating. . . ! I have a few photos to go from in books but would love to see a copy if you find the Diagram arrangement.

Cheers.

You made that out of a Ford D Wagon cab??

Respect!

Looks like the old BMC cab to me!!

Being an old fat beggar!! I have to ask, You are going to move the seats apart aren't you??

On a different topic, the cut and shut Hornby Mk1s have got my juices flowing! I was looking at ways to do a 'Collars and Cuffs' set using some Hornby Mk1 coaches that have been in my custody for 40 odd years! Seeing what you have done has definitely got me thinking!

Collars and Cuffs is my old mate Mikes phrase to describe running old stuff, allbeit detailed, in a set by itself. It works.

Look at at least one suburban train on 'Liverpool Lime Street'. Graham Farish suburban coaches! Might be generic, but they work in a set by themselves! What is more, you can run them amongst more modern stock and it works 'cos they are in their own set.

What I am drivelling on about is, you are modelling like we used to do in the '70s. You mucked about with stuff to make what you wanted. Lord and Lady, it felt good when it worked!!

Keep up the good work,

Chris.

Thanks Chris, yes I started chopping models up in the 80s as a teenager, been at it ever since, as they might say in a Carry On film (another interest of mine)! I'm all for recycling cheap unwanted models into something a bit different!

Martyn.

• Like 1

Here's the diagram:

post-1877-0-78985700-1514646937_thumb.jpg

Built at York lot 30014 to dia.56, numbers initially were: E1000-2, M1003-5, S1006 & W1007-13.

There were also 21 TTOs* bodily identical to dia.92 with fixed 2+2 seating. The Southern Region 'Boat Train Second Opens' dia.90 were similar but had a door in a middle bay and fixed 2+1 seating.

Looking at the later standard dia. the two non-smoking bays are marked as 12' 61/2" long, so you can see the difference in spacing is about 2" per bay.

* When built they would have been Tourist Third Opens, reclassified Second from 1956. The SR ones were always 2nd (and were the only BR coaches to have a '2' on the doors) to match the SNCF end of things.

P.S. I built a BFK from Triang-Hornby Mk.1s about 40 years ago. I think I might still have it. If I have I'll take a pic.

Edited by BernardTPM

Here's the Triang-Hornby Mk.1 BFK conversion along with an RMB to SK I did.

post-1877-0-07221000-1514652068_thumb.jpg

The joins were done in line with the edges of the windows which save having to smooth off between them or along door lines, with hinges sliced off before cutting where necessary, then stuck back on. Also I spliced another set of four 1st windows from another CK side. Even so, I always see the joins in my teenage stuff!

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 3

Here's the diagram:

RSO.jpg

Built at York lot 30014 to dia.56, numbers initially were: E1000-2, M1003-5, S1006 & W1007-13.

There were also 21 TTOs* bodily identical to dia.92 with fixed 2+2 seating. The Southern Region 'Boat Train Second Opens' dia.90 were similar but had a door in a middle bay and fixed 2+1 seating.

Looking at the later standard dia. the two non-smoking bays are marked as 12' 61/2" long, so you can see the difference in spacing is about 2" per bay.

* When built they would have been Tourist Third Opens, reclassified Second from 1956. The SR ones were always 2nd (and were the only BR coaches to have a '2' on the doors) to match the SNCF end of things.

P.S. I built a BFK from Triang-Hornby Mk.1s about 40 years ago. I think I might still have it. If I have I'll take a pic.

Thanks Bernard, that is very useful info. I know from photos some of the RSO's ended up in Scotland in the early 70s which is my area of interest, presumably downgraded to TSO/SO's on KoL line trains.

Your BFK looks superb, thanks for the inspiration!

• RMweb Premium

Replica windows work well on Triang cuts and shuts.

I have a detailed RMB running on Replica Commonwealths with MJT vents, Replica glazing and my own gas cabinets.

Air braked as well

• Like 2

Replica windows work well on Triang cuts and shuts.

I have a detailed RMB running on Replica Commonwealths with MJT vents, Replica glazing and my own gas cabinets.

Air braked as well

Thanks Martin, I've been looking in on your projects, the gas cabinets really look the part. I tried Replica glazing after cutting the toplights out of a spare CK window (a very early Triang scale length one) and found them too loose a fit to be honest and not especially flush, maybe the Hornby RMB has slightly smaller window sizing? Keep up the good work, your coaches always look good.

Today I have started looking at the Triang underframe. Whilst not up to current standards I'm hoping a bit of work will lift it. First job is to correct the bogie centres - Triang use 190mm but it should be 186mm. So the bogie rivets were sawn through and the bogie bosses filed down flush with the level of the solebars. Small pieces of 1mm plasticard were then glued over the bosses and short lengths of 5mm diameter plastic rod (to suit Bachmann and Triang bogies), glued in place 2mm inbound of the original hole. These will be shortened as required before drilling to accept a small screw and washer to retain the bogie. Just this exercise gives a better look already. I have some spare Replica and ABS vac brake sets to add along with other bits, footsteps etc in due course, although this may wait until the bodysides have been cleaned up and primed.

post-28743-0-66507200-1514735697_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-60174900-1514735727_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-04428900-1514735778_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-78825600-1514735822_thumb.jpg

Bachmann Commonwealths are shown in the photos, though the original BR1 bogies may be retained with newer Hornby scale wheelsets.

• Like 5

An idle thought occurred whilst thinking about the RSO; I fitted the unwanted 2 half-BSK sides to the Triang chassis. As suspected this results in the windows being too close together by about 2mm per window bay - or 15mm overall, being roughly the size of a lavatory compartment:

post-28743-0-54128200-1514738865_thumb.jpg

Triang 1st class compartment spacing is actually closer, but just a little too long to fit the end lavatory compartment in comfortably. So it would be a LOT of cutting and shutting! Suddenly etched sides seem more appealing for that particular vehicle!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bernard, that is very useful info. I know from photos some of the RSO's ended up in Scotland in the early 70s which is my area of interest, presumably downgraded to TSO/SO's on KoL line trains.

Your BFK looks superb, thanks for the inspiration!

There were also 4 dia.60 RSO cars, introduced to the ScR in 1960 (no. 1014-17) - these basically had the same body as the TSO/SK, but with 2+1 fixed seats (similar to a normal SO)

There were also some RSOs converted from mk1 dia.73 FO (1058-1070) but this was in 1976. The FO used was the one with the normal centre door.

There were also 4 dia.60 RSO cars, introduced to the ScR in 1960 (no. 1014-17) - these basically had the same body as the TSO/SK, but with 2+1 fixed seats (similar to a normal SO)

There were also some RSOs converted from mk1 dia.73 FO (1058-1070) but this was in 1976. The FO used was the one with the normal centre door.

Thanks. I wonder, were the Dia. 73 RSO (ex FO conversions) intended to replace the Dia. 56 when the latter were withdrawn? As the Dia. 56 seem to have been early casualties?