The TSO (vice RSO) project is now underway; I didn't want to overlay the etched brass sides onto modified Triang sides as this leaves the body too wide, so they have been mounted on plasticard backing around the edges (using contact adhesive) so they fit the shell in the same fashion as Triang sides. When glazing is fitted this will form the top edge which locates in the slot along the roof edges. The chassis has had the bogie centres reduced as per the other conversions, and a start made on adding detail. Progress so far:

post-28743-0-34577600-1517524024_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-77007000-1517524053_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-14923500-1517524255_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-63283500-1517524291_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-50497000-1517524331_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking the interior will have to be another scratch job as I can't think of any RTR interior which will match the awkward window spacing. Still, fixed seating will be easier than loose chairs. . .

• Like 7

After cleaning up the sides and re-modelling the roof I have applied some primer, same rattle can used for both the roof and sides with differing colour results strangely, as can be seen! The roof will be coated with my usual dark grey car plastic bumper spray later, as will the inside of the coach sides to remove the shiny brass finish.

post-28743-0-40457400-1517684313_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-54443100-1517685423_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-79398600-1517685475_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-39006900-1517685540_thumb.jpg

An unusual feature of this particular Triang donor coach was the flat top of the coach end, above the corridor connection, which required filling when I added the top gangway cover. Neither of the previous 2 conversions had this.

• Like 3

Yes I removed the steps other than the bottom 2, including the large one above the gangway; the flat area needing filling was under the roof end on the otherwise curved top of the coach end (seen in the "virgin brass" photos earlier), which I'd not come across before.

I'm gradually removing end steps on all my Mk.1s.

Does anyone know if etched window surrounds are available for Mk.1s? (I mean just the surround, not full windows with vents etc) As most Mk.1s seemed to have them in later life and I have a few coaches which would benefit from them if they were available.

Thanks all for the likes and comments too.

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69

Martyn,

Just, in a different post, seen you were at Stafford show today.

You could have bought some of these:

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/nononsensekits/nnknononsensekits/etched/4-00-30

Etched in stainless steel IIRC.

Thanks Andy, typical, I spent some time looking at bits on their stand and totally missed these! No rush so will hopefully see them again at York next month. Cheers for the heads up!

• Like 1

They were and have been in the same place on the stand each time I've seen them. Middle rear display board, about 1/3 up from bottom IIRC.

Southern Pride do some vinyl adhesive ones, not seen 'em though, and I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere on RMWeb that they can bit a bit of a so and so to apply.

Good Luck.

Edited by leopardml2341

They were and have been in the same place on the stand each time I've seen them. Middle rear display board, about 1/3 up from bottom IIRC.

Southern Pride do some vinyl adhesive ones, not seen 'em though, and I'm pretty sure I've read elsewhere on RMWeb that they can bit a bit of a so and so to apply.

Good Luck.

Thanks, I suspect the etched ones may be better for my needs, as they will need to be painted and applied to already finished coaches using the trusty matt varnish. Sizing will be pretty critical too I guess.

I picked up these Replica TSO interiors along with other useful coach bits at Stafford show. Each bay will need cutting along the seat backs and a plasticard spacer spliced in to get the correct spacing in lieu of having no centre door, hence the new saw blade!

post-28743-0-77435300-1517774255_thumb.jpg

Also a nice new book for bedtime reading!

post-28743-0-98183900-1517774386_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

On the Tri-Ang coach ends it was rather 'over engineered' then :)

Hi Andy

I am going to disagree with Martin but agree at the same time. Tri-ang coach ends are correct for pre-25KV OLE. So all the steps including the one above the gangway are right. Post the advent of 25 KV OLE they were removed to prevent railwaymen accessing the roof and being zapped. So the answer is no and yes depending on your own modelling period. People like myself who model the early 1960s need to look at photos of trains in the area and time frame we model to see if the steps are present or not. The LMR (LNWR lines), ER (GER & LTSR lines) and ScR around Glasgow would have been the first to remove the steps.

• RMweb Premium

Hello Clive,

Agree entirely, it's just that for (too many) years, I didn't realise that the monstrous moulded projection was 'meant to be' a step! :D

What gave it away is seeing pictures of blue era coaches with the step brackets but no steps.

I picked up these Replica TSO interiors along with other useful coach bits at Stafford show. Each bay will need cutting along the seat backs and a plasticard spacer spliced in to get the correct spacing in lieu of having no centre door, hence the new saw blade!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180204_194740_1.jpg

Also a nice new book for bedtime reading!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180204_195830_1.jpg

Will be looking for that book at the Glasgow show, would be surprised if Douglas Blades  doesn't have a stock for sale!

JIm

• Like 1

Will be looking for that book at the Glasgow show, would be surprised if Douglas Blades doesn't have a stock for sale!

JIm

Booklaw although advertising it as a new release didn't appear to have any on their stand at Stafford on the Sunday afternoon (I didn't ask as they were busy; before I returned I noticed this one on Charlie Petty's stand so snapped it up). Worth every penny I have to say for the quality of the photos!

• Like 1

Will be looking for that book at the Glasgow show, would be surprised if Douglas Blades  doesn't have a stock for sale!

JIm

Booklaw although advertising it as a new release didn't appear to have any on their stand at Stafford on the Sunday afternoon (I didn't ask as they were busy; before I returned I noticed this one on Charlie Petty's stand so snapped it up). Worth every penny I have to say for the quality of the photos!

Must be popular - they had plenty on Saturday morning.

I was tempted but came away with this:

https://www.strathwood.co.uk/diesel-electric-titles/seventies-diesel-electric-days-remembered-1

instead - now to start saving for Vol 2

• Like 1

A fairly quick job this morning was to fit door hinges to the TSO, not many left on my ancient PC fret of such items but thankfully what appears to be the same fret is still available via Wizard Models, as I will need more when I get around to doing the outstanding class 126 vehicles.

The hinges are affixed with matt varnish as usual, which gives time to adjust them (the wonky top one in the rather cruel photo was adjusted after I noticed it). The holes for the door handles have been drilled through but the handles will be added after painting, using epoxy resin applied from the back to fill any gaps around them, and then touched in as required, as this makes masking the basic colours and adding lining much easier.

post-28743-0-81330500-1517834286_thumb.jpgpost-28743-0-33834100-1517834315_thumb.jpg

After this was done I contemplated the work needed to the Replica TSO interior - the first seating bays at either end are in the correct position. The unwanted centre door section is 11mm; with six cuts along seat backs and 2 to remove the doorway section required to leave the central 6 bays this means a fillet of approx 1.5 mm per bay so 60 thou plasticard fillets should be fairly spot on if the razor saw doesn't remove much material.

post-28743-0-66210300-1517835219_thumb.jpg

Some additional trimming of the floor and vertical surfaces will be needed to fit the Triang shell too no doubt.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

looking good so far Martyn.

just for info, I had a quick look at the Parkin book - the RSO without centre doors had a seat pitch of 6' 7​1/2​" compared to the standard 2nd class pitch of 6' 3".

Your method should give the same effect without having to cut through tables and with the cuts hidden behind the body panels

Edited by keefer

looking good so far Martyn.

just for info, I had a quick look at the Parkin book - the RSO without centre doors had a seat pitch of 6' 7​1/2​" compared to the standard 2nd class pitch of 6' 3".

Your method should give the same effect without having to cut through tables and with the cuts hidden behind the body panels

Many thanks for that useful info Keefer. Yes, cutting through the seat backs seemed the easiest idea; the moulding is hollow underneath so it was fairly straightforward, although a couple of cuts weren't as straight as I had hoped, but nothing a little filler won't disguise. The 1.5mm plasticard (4.5" to scale of course) proved just right allowing for a fraction lost during cutting. Each bay was numbered with a marker pen underneath to keep them in the correct alignment and relationship. Just waiting for the Plasticweld to harden off before appling filler to a few joins and then cleaning up.

post-28743-0-52776500-1517845842_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Martyn.

• Like 6

Looking good, Martyn.

How will you be doing the white separator line?

Thanks Andy, I will be using the HMRS lining again for this one. Any ideas which of this group of low numbered 37xx batch were Scottish Region in 1970s by any chance? Edited by Signaller69

• RMweb Premium

Any ideas which of this group of low numbered 37xx batch were Scottish Region in 1970s by any chance?

Dia.92 TSO were 3700-3720, all initially LMR allocated (3700-5 in May '51 and 3706-20 in June '52)

The only info I have for the '70s is the 1979 Platform 5 book (correct to 18/6/79) - M3705, M3707, E3712, E3715, M3717 and M3718