RMweb

Gadgets technophobes despise

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Gas fired "barbecues".

:devil:

Too right! I tried to convert one of these to charcoal firing when the gas ran out but the damn thing melted through within 20 minutes of lighting!

• RMweb Premium

Leaf blowers. Why can't these people just use a bl@@dy broom!  :angry:

On the same theme, those that use the garden hose, instead of a broom to clean a concrete driveway.

My son packed a small rucksack to take to an Air Cadets training camp last year. I filled an identical one to the brim with pea shingle and swapped them over. The look on his face as he went to pick it up was a picture. I'd hazard about 35kg. Yes, I know... I'm cruel...

:jester:

Only 35 kg?  That's about 5 days worth of stuff, - IMP's, ammo, rifle, winter gear, ect.  It doesn't help that 20 years ago (the last time I had to ruck everywhere....NAVY !), the CF kit was much heavier than what I had civvy kit.  (sleeping bag/bivvy/stove) & we were mandated for some stuff.  (clothes, mostly).  I don't think they added rocks, but bloom'n heck, when you are walking everywhere, the ~70 lb on your back adds up quickly.  I did my field phase in the middle of the summer, in wintertime they issue sleds to load the winter kit on, because you cannot effectively walk with it all.

James

• RMweb Premium

Although electric bikes don't appeal to me, I do think they're a worthwhile idea if they get more people cycling and help less fit people to cycle. As has been said, cycles are not just toys or keep fit tools, they are also a means of transport.

I think many of these tech arguments are nuanced, it is not so much technophilia or technophobia but more questioning the suitability of certain applications or the idea of premature replacement in many cases. I'm a great fan of DCC for model trains but I just don't find sound at all convincing. So I've converted to DCC but without sound. I have an Android smartphone which is a very powerful tool but see no reason to replace it on an annual basis. I have a lossless portable audio player which is wonderful. I think modern cars are light years ahead of cars from not that long ago and that is largely down to the on-board technology.

The tech that really leaves me cold at the moment are these smart watches which seem pointless to me. And I am an Apple sceptic not because I don't like their technology but more because I don't like the quasi-cult like behaviour they seem to cultivate in some of their fans. But that's just me.

• RMweb Premium

Brushes, shovels, leaf-blowers or sucking gadgets....bollokks. After you've trimmed the hedge and cut the grass and filled the pavement with leaves, yer spinning-sucking lawnmower is your best friend. 

All nicely chopped up for the compost bin.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Another thing which occurs to me is that "cabin baggage" should be capable of being easily lifted into the overhead locker.

Given the increasing and at times, farcical quantities of stuff people bring, anything encouraging MORE cabin baggage should be vigorously discouraged!

As well as this people who leave a trail of devastation behind them as they walk down the aisle of trains and airliners wearing back packs. Especially when they swivel around and turn their back packs into an offensive weapon if anybody is sitting in an adjacent seat. I use a lap top back pack myself and it is hardly onerous to take it off my back and to use the carrying handle/loop when on a train or aircraft and make sure it doesn't bounce off passengers etc.

All nicely chopped up for the compost bin.

Keith

And nicely mixed too, so the grass clippings don't form a claggy layer, and the leaves rot down properly. Ideally, you need some shredded paper or card adding to the mixture, but you get funny looks tipping the contents of the shredder on the lawn before you mow..

• RMweb Premium

Actually, they're a means of transport that can also be toys or keep fit tools.

Ordinarily I'd agree, but I have to say that I know an awful lot of cyclists who ride serious mileage but only ride their bikes for sport or keep fit and never as a working mode of transport.

• RMweb Gold

I'd hesitate to classify any rucksack I could get 35kg into as "small"...........

we came back with a packed small rucksack with our clothes plus model purchases work boots we needed for a tour of two railroad workshops (N scale stock wedged into them ) freebie posters in a tube and loads of sound decoders etc. It's amazing how compact you can travel for two weeks if you put your mind to it and we had clean clothes every day.

Well, I have just seen a motorised lipstick. That strikes me as perhaps a redundant step in labour saving over the usual small twist? Japanese of course.

Are we absolutely sure it was a lipstick?

we came back with a packed small rucksack with our clothes plus model purchases work boots we needed for a tour of two railroad workshops (N scale stock wedged into them ) freebie posters in a tube and loads of sound decoders etc. It's amazing how compact you can travel for two weeks if you put your mind to it and we had clean clothes every day.

I remember years ago we managed to get a cast iron brake block if not to the top of but certainly well on its way to the Welsh Black mountains via a colleagues' rucksack .................. it had been so heavy even prior to our "present" that the chap just hoisted it on and left the office without comment - love to have seen his face - not a mention of it afterwards  

ANYTHING involving the use of a "app" .......................................

ANYTHING involving the use of a "app" .......................................

My daughter's just downloaded an app that lets her know when her phone's ringing. Seriously... I think it's meant for when you're immersed in gaming.

I have visions of a miniature Acme rubber mallet popping out of the side of the phone and whacking her on the head. Apparently "it's the best app ever, Dad". Go figure.

I shall now slip quietly back into obscure technophobe grump mode from whence I came.

• RMweb Gold

My daughter's just downloaded an app that lets her know when her phone's ringing. Seriously... I think it's meant for when you're immersed in gaming.

I have visions of a miniature Acme rubber mallet popping out of the side of the phone and whacking her on the head. Apparently "it's the best app ever, Dad". Go figure.

I shall now slip quietly back into obscure technophobe grump mode from whence I came.

I am reminded of Rowan Atkinson's sketch on Not The Nine O'Clock News where he demonstrates a headset with a similar purpose.

Archived