Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

8 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Just to bring some physics into these descriptions of vertical climbs by Vulcans which I'm sure looked impressive from beside the runway.  The empty weight of a Vulcan was almost twice the available engine thrust, so with fuel on board it would be about three times the weight......  Current fighters do actually have more thrust than weight and of course so did the Harrier so can climb vertically.  Noise wise, the Olympus was a pure jet designed in the early 1950s so was incredibly noisy but probably not as much as the reheated versions in the TSR2 or the Concorde.

Best disappearing display i ever  saw was at RAF Finningley in the late 1960's.

English Electric Lightning sat at the end of the runway, Power with reheat lift off the runway flying parallel with it, undercarriage up, lift the nose to vertical and it disappeared out of vision. Never ever seen anything like it since !

Awesome 

Edited by johnd
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I took these two shots at Fairford display in 1999.....the first shot was a F111 who went by fairly slowly and then put his afterburners on, quite a dangerous manoeuvre according to the commentator, but very effective I must say.....the second shot was when the two Russian jets (cannot remember what they were) collided when they got a bit too close to each other, I managed to get this shot just after impact, thinking I had taken the shot of the year I rushed of to Taunton next morning to get my film developed (no digital stuff then) only to be told that another lad had been in already with a shot of both aircraft and pilots in the shot......I skulked off home thoroughly dejected but it is still probably the best picture I took......and one of the best airshows I went to, we flew from Bristol to fairford in an air Atlantic DC3, what a day.........dave brighty.....

CB29622C-03B1-4D3E-AB12-36F0DE405F6E.jpeg

AE5871EE-A2AB-46B6-B926-A9C44511A58E.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, Brighty1674 said:

I took these two shots at Fairford display in 1999.....the first shot was a F111 who went by fairly slowly and then put his afterburners on, quite a dangerous manoeuvre according to the commentator, but very effective I must say.....the second shot was when the two Russian jets (cannot remember what they were) collided when they got a bit too close to each other, I managed to get this shot just after impact, thinking I had taken the shot of the year I rushed of to Taunton next morning to get my film developed (no digital stuff then) only to be told that another lad had been in already with a shot of both aircraft and pilots in the shot......I skulked off home thoroughly dejected but it is still probably the best picture I took......and one of the best airshows I went to, we flew from Bristol to fairford in an air Atlantic DC3, what a day.........dave brighty.....

What was dangerous about the F111 display was that the afterburners were lit whilst the aircraft was jettisoning fuel.  The stunt was ultimately banned I believe after a bit of singeing of Aussie derrière.

Charlie

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Brighty1674 said:

Nice one .

im trying to find the TV of the second Russian pilot punching the first . It’s out there somewhere  - I seem to recall though that the collision was much earlier - 1993 I think 

Edited by rob D2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Brighty1674 said:

Mig 29's

Rob

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The Red arrows still do (for synchronising) and Blackburn Buccaneers (to look cool) used to select U/C up before the take-off roll started. As soon as weight off the WOW switch would motor it up.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Andy7 said:

The Red arrows still do (for synchronising) and Blackburn Buccaneers (to look cool) used to select U/C up before the take-off roll started. As soon as weight off the WOW switch would motor it up.

I’m not sure I believe the red arrows would do that routinely ( although I heard of in olden days  fighters doing it )

The reason being that if you hit a bump in the runway and the weight comes off just enough, you suddenly have an embarrassing and expensive problem .

Also if you abort the take off, you are left with the gear lever in an unsafe position .

Edited by rob D2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not sure I believe the red arrows would do that routinely

I'd agree, but with the issues they found in deviations from established procedures in the ejection seat accident its possibly not as far fetched as we like to think might be the case.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, johnd said:

English Electric Lightning sat at the end of the runway, Power with reheat lift off the runway flying parallel with it, undercarriage up, lift the nose to vertical and it disappeared out of vision. Never ever seen anything like it since !

I believe it was standard practice at Leuchars & probably at other quick response interceptor sites.  Site at west end of runway facing east in the cockpit, ready for a hurle.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, johnd said:

Best disappearing display i ever  saw was at RAF Finningley in the late 1960's.

Awesome 

Slightly better one (IMHO).

Late 70s, RAF Binbrook, dusk.  Two Lightnings set off down the runway, and hit the burners.  All you see is two balls of flame disappear into the distance.

Adrian

An incredible collection of warbirds in a unique formation. For context, these are mostly aircraft from the Temora Aviation Museum. Ownership of these warbirds was transferred to the Royal Australian Air Force in 2019 as the Temora Historic Flight. Earlier this month they were incorporated into the newly reformed No. 100 Squadron, which comprises the RAAF Heritage Flight based at Point Cook (the airworthy aircraft from the RAAF Museum) and the Temora Historic Flight. The Temora flying club pilots were inducted into the RAAF Reserve.

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I’m not sure I believe the red arrows would do that routinely ( although I heard of in olden days  fighters doing it )

The reason being that if you hit a bump in the runway and the weight comes off just enough, you suddenly have an embarrassing and expensive problem .

Also if you abort the take off, you are left with the gear lever in an unsafe position .

It’s most certainly not best practice and is rather risky for sure.

The switches only make on full oleo extension, so it would have to be a very impressive bump. Also there is (don’t quote me) a switch on each main, only when both make will it operate.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Lochgorm said:

What was dangerous about the F111 display was that the afterburners were lit whilst the aircraft was jettisoning fuel.  The stunt was ultimately banned I believe after a bit of singeing of Aussie derrière.

Charlie

Nope, our F111’s were doing the fuel “dump-and-burn” until the aircraft were retired in 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping#Dump-and-burn . Brisbane has an annual fireworks and FM radio concert that was basically created around the Pigs (F111) dump and burn called Riverfire (https://riverfire.com.au), the show hasn’t been the same since the pigs were grounded and buried.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As it’s 88 and possibly a celebration, I wonder if it’s the BAe Tornado radar target trial contract? In

one of the formations there’s a Tornado tucked in with three lightnings. The Saudi’s had finished by then and RAF had a few left IIRC

• Informative/Useful 2