RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

If we had an ATC recording, it might throw some light on the subject.

I'm not in any way trying to 'discredit' the pilot - simply trying to get to grips with something I have never seen nor heard of. I can't see for certain, but he doesn't seem to be following any yellow lines either.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure there is much light to shed… I’d bet good money that it went something like this:

BA Airbus is cleared to line up on runway 27 Right. MH A350 is cleared to line up after it. The BA Airbus isn’t cleared for take off immediately (if the previous departure was a heavy, or on the same departure route, a delay is to be expected). The A350 enters the runway (correctly) and perhaps doesn’t realise the BA isn’t going to go straightaway so keeps inching forward expecting it to go any second and ends up where it does. Pure speculation, of course, but extremely plausible. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Conditional line up clearances are pretty much the norm at LHR.  Nothing really to comment on that already hasn't been said. 

Steteve

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I knew I had seen something about this in the Heathrow procedures before, but didn't want to comment until I had found it/proved I hadn't imagined it.

Paragraph 2 deals with conditional  line up clearance. "...may cross the runway holding point...upon receipt of clearance. There is no requirement for the subject aircraft to have commenced it's take-off roll before entering the runway.

This being the case, I'm not sure we can call into question the airmanship of the second aircraft.

Best

Scott..

image.png.d6d7214d79908e16598e88a906c78904.png

You are mixing up a written procedure from jepp and airmanship , they are totally different concepts . The key is " may " and " commensurate with safety ", not " must " ( and the capt has final say anyway )

As an example the highway code may say I can drive at 70 mph in reduced visibility , I won't and I'll use my judgment to go slower .

That judgment and situational awareness is " airmanship " in an aircraft 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I am aware of the difference between the two, and I'm not mixing anything up.  There is no argument.

All I'm trying to say is that a) in response to the initial post from Brian,  there is procedure for what we saw on the video and b) it's not really correct for us to comment on the airmanship of an individual or individuals when we weren't there and aren't party to all the information.

Ever wished you hadn't bothered sharing information?

Best

Scott.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

As noted in my earlier post, I was not in any way trying to 'discredit' the pilot; simply trying to understand something I had not seen nor heard of before.

I suggest we now cease discussion but thanks for all the contributions.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No pictures, it all happened too quickly.  What looked like a DH Vampire spotted over Gloucestershire this morning.  Is that possible, and if not, what was it.  A quick look on Flight Radar drew a blank (nothing in the area at the time).

Adrian

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, figworthy said:

No pictures, it all happened too quickly.  What looked like a DH Vampire spotted over Gloucestershire this morning.  Is that possible, and if not, what was it.  A quick look on Flight Radar drew a blank (nothing in the area at the time).

Adrian

I think @Lambton58 was visiting the home of Vampire T11 WZ507 at Coventry the other day, so he may be able to say if it was likely to be that aircraft.  It seems to be the only one flying in the UK.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I think @Lambton58 was visiting the home of Vampire T11 WZ507 at Coventry the other day, so he may be able to say if it was likely to be that aircraft.  It seems to be the only one flying in the UK.

Yes, looking at Flickr WZ507 was up yesterday.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Not just the UK - she's believed to be the only flying Vampire in the Northern Hemisphere according to the Vampire Preservation people's website .   

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Time certainly flies, I was based in Atlanta (Marietta) and used to change FADEC software on those C-130Js on the assembly line and flight line before delivery......now they're going to be retired, just like me!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

USAF B-1B Bombers currently on deployment.

I have to say that, for a machine that is capable of wreaking death and destruction on a huge scale, it is an exceptionally beautiful aircraft.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I have to say that, for a machine that is capable of wreaking death and destruction on a huge scale, it is an exceptionally beautiful aircraft.

I guess that’s any warplane , although the current 5 th generation fighters are getting so ugly only their mothers Would  love  them . The typhoon is way prettier than the F35 in my view .

• Agree 1