RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

9 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Doesn't, or did the RAF have a vintage jet flight?

Yes, it’s called “ the red arrows “ ;)

Seriously though, there used to be the “ vintage pair “ I think it was called , and I’m not sure if it was RAF but it was a vampire and meteor. That ended when they collided and half the crew was killed - must have been mid 90s.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

57 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Interesting short video from CAA.

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1QLgEg-gw

What a terrible video that explains little.  For example on a QNH based approach the rad alt will always under-read the pressure altimeter.  Really are there so many idiots who do not set airfield pressure settings when making an approach because they are a danger to themselves and other aircraft in the vicinity?  I find the need to make this video very worrying.

Charlie

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Lochgorm

It should also be taken in context with the initial report of the actual incident at Paris.

Brian

4 reds should have been a clue.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Alex Rattray ... top bloke , my old boss .

Its highlighting the important points , which are - check rad alt when it activates against baro . I've taken to saying " radalt - sensible " when this happens .

But most importantly the fact there is no " terrain terrain pull up " GPWS warning as you are in landing configuration , merely a " too low terrain " , which is a caution not a warning .

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Lochgorm said:

What a terrible video that explains little.  For example on a QNH based approach the rad alt will always under-read the pressure altimeter.  Really are there so many idiots who do not set airfield pressure settings when making an approach because they are a danger to themselves and other aircraft in the vicinity?  I find the need to make this video very worrying.

Charlie

The threat is a misset QNH , as cross checks of distance v height won't pick that up . 

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello John

As noted, the video should be taken in context with the actual incident which was in total cloud cover. Alarms went off in the Tower and these were missed apparently.

Brian

Fair enough. I was going purely on what I saw (and heard) on the video. In fact, as an ex-PPL (VFR only), I think that the PAPIs would have been foremost in my mind.

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

The threat is a misset QNH , as cross checks of distance v height won't pick that up . 

Interesting. Again, based on my extremely limited experience, I would have found the need to subtract mentally the field elevation from the QNH at a time of high workload would also be a risk. We always used the QFE on final.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello again

Reading the (trustworthy) reports, it seems that the Tower gave an incorrect QNH which the crew accepted. It seems that - on the first approach - the crew realised something was amiss and instigated a go-around. They missed the ground by about 6 feet!

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Saw a few Dutch choppers (ooh err Missus) over work (Settle, N Yorks) today.

4x Chinooks, 2x Lynx and couple of Apaches (not in that shot)

Travelling north-south - last tracked over the southern Pennine hills

(I didn't get a good pic, but ta to my mate for the pic over Clitheroe)

WhatsAppImage2023-06-01at13_37_43.jpg.b1267c922da9a72081fa6a9ca30c8cfc.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Interesting. Again, based on my extremely limited experience, I would have found the need to subtract mentally the field elevation from the QNH at a time of high workload would also be a risk. We always used the QFE on final.

The Paris event was interesting in many respects. The crew (and another) were given wrong QNH by controller, and didn’t notice mismatch between that and broadcast ATIS. Made the approach with incorrect setting in ‘poor weather’ and the controller hadn’t selected appropriate lighting configuration either. On the second approach the error hadn’t been noticed by either party until controller picked up the aircraft had descended early and queried it, fortunately the crew had just got visual and continued to land visually. 

Most Uk civil airfields now use QNH as default pressure setting, on first contact (particularly on an RNP approach) I’ve always given the QNH, there’s no requirement to do so, but it ensures the crew are prompted to cross check correct pressure setting.

Edited by PMP
Spellin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

DSC_28822.JPG.2cce0995905eb6b64ffd6dc694be3459.JPG

Not the best shot in the world (the rest are on the camera) but six Merlins taxying up and down the runway at East Kirkby on Monday was rather pleasant! Shame they weren't out on the runway a bit later for the BBMF display with the Lancaster, a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PMP said:

The Paris event was interesting in many respects. The crew (and another) were given wrong QNH by controller, and didn’t notice mismatch between that and broadcast ATIS. Made the approach with incorrect setting in ‘poor weather’ and the controller hadn’t selected appropriate lighting configuration either. On the second approach the error hadn’t been noticed by either party until controller picked up the aircraft had descended early and queried it, fortunately the crew had just got visual and continued to land visually. 

Most Uk civil airfields now use QNH as default pressure setting, on first contact (particularly on an RNP approach) I’ve always given the QNH, there’s no requirement to do so, but it ensures the crew are prompted to cross check correct pressure setting.

And we have to thank our UK government for not continuing to pay for European SBAS (EGNOSS) coverage, forcing pilots to use Baro RNP APCH procedures rather than the much safer LPV approach.  Another great Brexit related success story!

Steve

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1