The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2024 at 23:58, newbryford said:

And at the opposite end - I know the F117 is meant to be small in terms of radar signature, but it surprised me how physically small it was as well. The US flag was larger than the plane.

I found it a very imposing aircraft on display (RIAT, 2007)DSC08133.JPG.0daa64fea5fff5d303b96308941d995a.JPG

DSC08141.JPG.b9a1d9464fed2386f0a39debfd89eee8.JPG

DSC08142.JPG.c84a22b0b9111299da3d8cdb8c8cbb6c.JPG 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2024 at 23:03, PMP said:

It’s odd how you get used to the size of them with familiarity, I used to think 146/737/a320’s were big. After a few weeks working in their vicinity they become the norm and you get used to them.

12B210E7-8927-47AE-8F23-3602F174D524.jpeg.f9251d735e212a1a8bc148cba250a439.jpeg

And then once you’d got used to them something a bit larger would turn up to redefine ‘big’.

There is no sad icon

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Looks like long delays inbound at LHR (due weather?). I heard at least two planes say that they were approaching minimum fuel in the holds and might have to divert to LGW.

Inbounds Delta 3 (JFK) and United 924 (IAD) just completed a circuit over Bristol. And Speedbird 24R (ORD) is just doing the same.

Brian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Looks like long delays inbound at LHR (due weather?). I heard at least two planes say that they were approaching minimum fuel in the holds and might have to divert to LGW.

Inbounds Delta 3 (JFK) and United 924 (IAD) just completed a circuit over Bristol. And Speedbird 24R (ORD) is just doing the same.

Brian

Nothing out of the ordinary there Brian.

Just a typical bad weather day.

We get them for a few days every year.

Most planes landing, with a few diversions early on (BA diversions to Gatwick and Stansted).

A go-around for a BA flight from Jersey a few minutes ago, but most planes are landing.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ron

Indeed, a 'typical bad weather day' - but I haven't seen one like it for a while, so I thought it was worth a mention. (Not that I am able to watch every day for all day!)

QNH was 991.

Brian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Don’t see why the weather would cause anything at present

easterly , 5 kts, 2000m viz, broken at 400’ 7/7.

might be a bit saucier later on with the wind straight across 15 G 25

No doubt that cockney can turn up and start shouting his clap trap at the aircraft .

Was it worse earlier on ?

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Brian

G-ONEE (OneAir B744) diverted to Amsterdam.

Edit: HGO211 was an outbound flight.

Edited by 298
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yesterday I saw a four engined aircraft, not a B747, approaching Tampa from the north - I was below so couldn't see a logo.  I assumed it to be a Virgin A340 but then learned that they have been retired.  It could have been a KC-135 going into MacDill which is just south of Tampa.....however I think it was a widebody.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think based in the Philippines, used to be a Continental operation?

Not the Philippines, but based in Guam, Micronesia. (a US overseas territory).

From Guam, United 737's fly to a few Japanese destinations (Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka), as well as Manila in the Philippines, Saipan (Mariana Islands), Micronesian islands of Colonia and Palau, .....plus the 15 hour long island hopping service (Five intermediate stops on the way), right across the central Pacific, to Honolulu.

It was a long standing Continental Airlines operation, dating back to the 1960's if I'm not mistaken, and continues following the merger of Continental into United.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

I think based in the Philippines, used to be a Continental operation?

Ah, The proud birds with the yellow tail. I once flew back from Clark to Travis on a Continental military charter. There was a mid-flight fuel stop; Agana, Guam? I no longer remember.

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2