• RMweb Gold

That photo shows a fairly typical hybrid twin unit, with a class 101DMBS leading, followed by a class 110 DMSL. You can tell the class of the second car from the roof vents, body side windows, the just visible four character head code box, and the tumblehome.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

That photo shows a fairly typical hybrid twin unit, with a class 101DMBS leading, followed by a class 110 DMSL. You can tell the class of the second car from the roof vents, body side windows, the just visible four character head code box, and the tumblehome.

Here is another one, half a mile further on passing over Lockwood Viaduct.

Poor quality. It is a scan of a print. I cannot find the negs.

post-24330-0-77451000-1473447744_thumb.jpg

Another view of Lockwood Viaduct.

post-24330-0-03352100-1473447837_thumb.jpg

Peter

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Peter. That first photo' shows one that is, funnily enough, the 'other way round'. With a class 101 DMCL, and a class 110 DMBC. perfect symmetry!

With regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

Three more at Marsh Lane.

post-24330-0-90469700-1473667607_thumb.jpg

A 4 car 124 unit coupled to a 2 car 105 passing a HST entering Neville Hill shed.

post-24330-0-00466300-1473667629_thumb.jpg

A 4 car class 108 passing the same HST which is one vehicle short of the 8 car trains on the ECML at the time.

post-24330-0-58988600-1473667647_thumb.jpg

A class 104 heading for Leeds station.

Peter

• Like 15

And to think, these were brought in to replace dirty polluting steam hauled trains

Where you been, boy? Them thar is them new-fangled steam railmotors! ;)

p.s. There are some cracking shots in this topic. I like the Marsh Lane photos and there are some interesting combinations shown. I only have any memories of Marsh Lane and Neville Hill from the mid-1980s onwards, and even then, only from occasional use within fairly short periods of time (my mother was living in Barwick in Elmet and I was using trains to Crossgates on my occasional visits to Leeds).

• Like 1

Swindon class 123 in first and second photos.

They were sent 'oop norf' to work intermixed with the remains of the Trans-Pennine class 124 units, one of which is seen the third photo.

I hope Peter doesn't mind me chipping in first. :)

Edited by SRman

Peter, sorry to be a bore but what is that in the first photo please?

As SRman says it is a class 123 DMBS leading a Hull - Leeds train. There could well be a class 124 at the other end. At this time it was rare to see either of these classes as a complete train. I could never understand why.

Maybe someone here has some insider knowledge as to why. I can only guess that there were more centre cars than driving ones.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As SRman says it is a class 123 DMBS leading a Hull - Leeds train. There could well be a class 124 at the other end. At this time it was rare to see either of these classes as a complete train. I could never understand why.

Maybe someone here has some insider knowledge as to why. I can only guess that there were more centre cars than driving ones.

Peter

Once the two fleets were amalgamated a lot of effort was put into trying to get them more reliable (which a certain gentleman genuinely made his name for achieving as it happens) and formations were altered for all sorts of reasons - to reduce 1st Class accommodation, removing the engines from the Motor Buffet intermediate cars and so, and of course to make sure sets in traffic could reliably deliver power.  It's a big reason for making modelling of the trans-Pennine sets such a major task for manufacturers because of the numerous permutations and changes over the years.

Were they arranged it their latter years with a 123 car on one end and a 124 on the other to create sort of half sets so if a six car was formed hopefully the 123s would be in the middle

Being a resident of the area at that time it seemed, and I suspect it was, completely random. :)

Once the two fleets were amalgamated a lot of effort was put into trying to get them more reliable (which a certain gentleman genuinely made his name for achieving as it happens) and formations were altered for all sorts of reasons - to reduce 1st Class accommodation, removing the engines from the Motor Buffet intermediate cars and so, and of course to make sure sets in traffic could reliably deliver power.  It's a big reason for making modelling of the trans-Pennine sets such a major task for manufacturers because of the numerous permutations and changes over the years.

The engines were removed from the MBSLs (motor brake second corridor lavatory) the buffet cars had all gone by 1975. The two fleets wee inter mixed as it was the most effective way to run them, as the Pennines were always regarded as loose vehicles, the mini Pennines took the same route. It was also as the amount of first class would have been excessive if you had two DMC and TCK in the same set (not unknown), one of the TCKs (59818) was downgraded on transfer to BG to help overcome the excess of first class.

The units were reasonably reliable given the milage they did and the bad driving techniques employed by some drivers. Other problems stemmed from a couple of depots who couldn't be arsed to do simple little jobs on them and would have them dragged back to BG for repairs...................