1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

86219 Warrington 1974

Warrington 6-9-74-2

Ahh the scenic side of Warrington Bank Quay! The Crossfields Chemicals / Lever Brothers works is behind and to the left of the photographer and the building visible above the 2nd tank wagon in the 47's train is The Patten Arms hotel. This must have been taken from the southern end of platform 4. I think the shadow of the fencing runs roughly where a bay used to be, but I may be mistaken there. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, D7063 said:

Ahh the scenic side of Warrington Bank Quay! The Crossfields Chemicals / Lever Brothers works is behind and to the left of the photographer and the building visible above the 2nd tank wagon in the 47's train is The Patten Arms hotel. This must have been taken from the southern end of platform 4. I think the shadow of the fencing runs roughly where a bay used to be, but I may be mistaken there. 

It's only scenic precisely because you can't see the Lever Bros factory!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gaugemaster announcing that they are commissioning Dapol to make a N gauge version of 86235 Novelty in the Rainhill 150 livery got me looking for pictures of it on Flickr, but I never realised that there was an earlier version without the full yellow ends and black windows...

Class 86 86235 "Novelty", Birmingham New Street - 16 Jun 197986235 at Euston86235 Novelty at Euston  June 80

CN024706.    86235  Birmingham New Street.  17-06-1979.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/12/2022 at 18:45, montyburns56 said:

Gaugemaster announcing that they are commissioning Dapol to make a N gauge version of 86235 Novelty in the Rainhill 150 livery got me looking for pictures of it on Flickr, but I never realised that there was an earlier version without the full yellow ends and black windows...

CN024706.    86235  Birmingham New Street.  17-06-1979.

Strange it had the number on twice too, almost like they were perhaps trying something out.

Trainspotters would certainly have liked that livery, no need for binoculars - remember when they got to Inter City and the numbers were so small you couldn't see them.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Strange it had the number on twice too, almost like they were perhaps trying something out.

Trainspotters would certainly have liked that livery, no need for binoculars - remember when they got to Inter City and the numbers were so small you couldn't see them.

Well both this and the later version almost look like a prototype for the Large Logo livery.

• Agree 1

They would have run like that prior to the full livery being applied.  They were put back into service before being given the Liverpool and Manchester brandings and the rest of the large-logo style paintwork.  The first loco to gain "large logo" was 56036 in 1978, the L&M 150 celebrations would have been in 1979.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2022 at 14:37, The Border Reiver said:

Class 87 87029 'Earl Marischal' stands at the north end of Platform 4 at Carlisle station on 29 December 1979. It was built by British Rail Engineering Limited Crewe Works on 4 June 1974. Its name was previously used on LNER A2 Class 60502

RA007_29_20221114_0029_800.jpg.acdf50764ca3ba9cd737607d7dc7a8cf.jpg

I remember seeing that with my mum in the 1980s and it being the first time I took notice of a locomotive to the point of reading its number and name. Almost 40 years ago….

18 hours ago, ianmacc said:

Sad no 310s exist. Quite a good looking design as EMUs go. 

Soon to exist in RTR form if the 2022 poll materializes.  Certainly on my hit list, along with an AM4, and class 124...

John

Edited by proton
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

They would have run like that prior to the full livery being applied.  They were put back into service before being given the Liverpool and Manchester brandings and the rest of the large-logo style paintwork.  The first loco to gain "large logo" was 56036 in 1978, the L&M 150 celebrations would have been in 1979.

They were in 1980. I went.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It must be those sexy curves on the windows that make it look good, something that it has in common with the Class 124 & 303.

And the AM9 as built

Andi

• Agree 1

DB are back to three pairs of Class 90s on MALCOLM this week

Bill McAlpine (90028) and CB Hall (90035) in matching DB red

Donald Malcolm (90021) and Christine (90037)

Bumblebee1 (90026) and Bumblebee3 (90020) - first pairing to operate in matching ex-Grand Central from last night's (9th December 2022) 4S47

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It always amuses me seeing non-air con MK2s coupled next to MK3s.

86235 Crewe 1981 by Tony Woof 

86235 Crewe 280681 img3490-280681-a

Could those be HST Mk3s with Mk2/Mk1s either end acting as barrier vehicles?

Dale

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, dale159 said:

Dale

More likely just the lack non existance of any Mk3 brake vehicles.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, dale159 said:

Dale

35 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

More likely just the lack non existance of any Mk3 brake vehicles.

Andi

They ran with a BG at one end due to the lack of brake vehicles for post office traffic, the Mk2 brake is probably there to replace a defective Mk3 TSO.  Whilst you might have found the odd Mk3 wedged into a Mk2 set, you didn't generally see anything added to a Mk3 set beyond the BG once the Mk1 catering vehicles had been replaced with the MK3s.  Crewe was great in those days, always something going on even though most freight went through Basford Hall.

• Like 1

There was a regular diagram of a mixed Mk2/Mk3 rake on the mid-day Shrewsbury to London service back in 1983, which was remarkable as the "Birmingham Loop" very rarely saw loco-hauled Mk3s on scheduled West Midlands services at the time, they mainly being used on Trent Valley first-tier services to Manchester or Glasgow.  I remember it clearly as it was at the time I spent a miserable year failing year one of a Computer Science degree at the Wolverhampton Polytechnic, so was able to catch it one day a week back into Birmingham.  It gradually lost the odd Mk3 to be replaced with an air conditioned Mk2f TSO, and had a BSO at the end together with the BG at the front.  So, until the introduction of 110mph timetabled running in around 1986-7 which needed a complete Mk3 rake plus a specially uprated BG (and locos with Brecknell-Willis pantographs) it was common to see mixed Mk2-Mk3 rakes.  In fact, just after the Colwich crash which temporarily led to a shortage of rolling stock on the WMCL whilst other rakes were being refurbished, at least one rake of coaches comprised Mk1 TSOs in Intercity Swallow, Mk2c coaches in blue/grey and Mk3 FOs in the same rake - which was captured on film and can be seen on YouTube (look on "Mr Deltic"s channel at his "Rugby" videos in the 1980s).

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3