NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• RMweb Premium

From memory, the 'Tesco Express' is 4S43 in the morning and 4M48 in the evening, and regularly had DBS 92 haulage circa 2011 to 2013. Interestingly on the wagon front, because DRS ran the train but hired in DB locos, the 92s hauled IKA megafrets and also IDA Super Low wagons which have recently been released by Dapol, indeed I have multiple videos of mixed rakes hauled by DBS locos.

The class also regularly handled the 4M25 Mossend to Daventry containers, which were normally Malcolm's with a few Unit45 or Asda/Co-Op/Argos boxes now and again. 6S94 or 6S93 is the Wednesdays only Dollands Moor to Irvine China clays, with 6M76 being the return under DBS operation and 6M74 under GBRf. 6L48 are the Garston to Dagenham cars, but I'm not sure of the return.

Then there's the sleepers, of which 1S25 and 1S26 are the northbound runs and 1M16/1M11 are the southbound workings. They're just the usual runs, but the class have turned up on all sorts, including engineer's workings, enterprises, new multiple unit moves and railtours to name a few.

Here is 92041 on 'The Retro Electric Scot' railtour seen at Preston in 2014:

attachicon.gifEWS 92041 'Vaughan Williams' - Retro Electric ScotPSs.jpg

And anyone ordering more than one DB/EWS loco may be interested in this: 92019, 92027 and 92025 on a loaded test run in 2012. I was lucky to see this, and at the time didn't know about the 4 locos doing tests on a rake of coal hoppers over Shap:

attachicon.gifEWS 92019,027,025 - Load test_0008.jpg

It may also be worth looking in magazines such as Rail Express and their 'Power by the Hour' section, which listed all the notable moves of each class of loco, and is also useful for pictures of notable workings.

Hope this helps, if you want any pictures I'll see what I've got hidden away!

Thanks,

Jack.

Thank you very much Jack for the information and the reply. I really appreciate it.

Thinking about it I have some Rail Express magazines so I could have a look through some of those and make a note of any appropriate/relevant workings.

I already have some IKA Megafrets so that's perfect. That's something less to buy.

I may also buy some Dapol IDAs because DRS and EWS/DB traction could haul these wagons.

The Bachmann IDA car transporter wagons look really good. I have seen these before but never had anything to run with them so I didn't buy any. Hopefully I could acquire some.

Thank you very much for all of the help Jack. I really appreciate it.

Railways illustrated did a feature on the 92's a while back.

It's worth getting if you can as it covers some of the liveries, plus workings etc.

It's very entertaining, and totally recommended.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you very much for letting me know Dave. I really appreciate it.

Is this the magazine that you are talking about: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modern-Locomotives-Illustrated-No-213-Class-92s-etc-5-inc-postage-UK-/322541774170?hash=item4b18fce55a:g:hlkAAOSwcgNZCIOH 

Thank you very much in advance.

• RMweb Premium

This train is why I'm getting the GBRf 92

attachicon.gif20170301153538(1).jpg

And now with an added bonus.

attachicon.gif20170607100317(1).jpg

attachicon.gif20170614100441(1).jpg

attachicon.gif20170419135911(1).jpg

attachicon.gif20170419135911(2).jpg

Thank you very much for letting me know. I really appreciate it.

I am considering buying the GBRF 92 model too. It does look really good hauling the ICAs. The ICAs can be bought too, so that's another train that could be modelled.

Thank you very much for letting me know.

As the deadline approaches for the closing of the crowdfunding orders for the 92, can I just confirm, that as an original crowdfunder, having paid the deposit in October, I'll still be able to order additional 92's at the reduced price up till then production order goes in? Got another two I'd like, and don't want to miss the opportunity for ordering at the discounted price....

And yes, Hattons have been notified of the higher RRP price for the 92's and in all honesty I'm not sure why they haven't changed their online prices, as I got acknowledgment from Dave Martin that they received them in time to alter prices in their advertising proofs.

I have noticed that Hatton's have put the price up to £144.46 now so they have updated their online price.

Samuel.

• RMweb Premium

Now that Bachmann have announced pantographs operated by servo, will Dave do the same, or had he already decided to do so? Also, what about opening cab doors?

Hornby were slammed by many people when they added opening cab doors, as a waste of time and just another way to put up prices. Why would dave wanna risk being given the same sort of feedback?

• RMweb Premium

Definitely in the 'gimmick' category for me, of no real use at all. Opening cab door windows would be more useful than doors, you could at least pose them.

I must admit i do like the idea of raising and lowering Panto's through DCC control and a bit of sound added for good measure of the operation.

However on the 92 it gets a little tricky as you either need 2 servos (and a multi-function decoder or decoders of many functions) or 1 servo that raises and lowers the pans depending on which way its being driven. But then that wouldn't work for the 3rd rail guys as 1 servo couldnt keep both lowered.

The problem being that this would a) put the price up, b) be a bit of a loss on all up weight, c) might be seen as a gimmick.

I think it would look fantastic myself, and since seeing it demo'd at Nuremburg many many years ago on an HO model i've been smitten by the function.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Definitely in the 'gimmick' category for me, of no real use at all. Opening cab door windows would be more useful than doors, you could at least pose them.

Useful? ;-)

post-1144-0-78600100-1499421540_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-13284700-1499421669_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Things like opening doors I see as pointless gimmicks only possibly useful for posing train crew on a shunter, but on an electric loco a raising and lowering pantograph is far from being a gimmick to me! I've seen it on continental locos and loved it and wish all models electrics had it fitted to eliminate the hand of god. I remember Dave mentioning it as a possibility on his proposed 86/87 project and I loved the idea and was disappointed when it seemed to have died when the 92 replaced that project, so I'm hoping that with Bachmann introducing the function to the mainstream, we will see it filtering to other companies too (and bachmanns own 85)

I always thought that if I ever got round to doing the 84 and badger as models, I'd love to fit a controlled raising panto to them.

But nonetheless I applaud Bachman for taking OO modern model locomotive design a step change further and , like they did with the Pullman, raising the bar for us other companies to try to emulate.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Since only one panto would be raised at any one time, have a changeover switch underneath to select one panto or t'other - this would be worked by a single function on a decoder. It would still require two servos, but gets over the problem of using two functions.

• RMweb Gold

Since only one panto would be raised at any one time, have a changeover switch underneath to select one panto or t'other - this would be worked by a single function on a decoder. It would still require two servos, but gets over the problem of using two functions.

Clever bit of logic on a circuit board and there is no need for the switch, just use the feed for the directional lighting and one function to say whether the pan is wanted or not. Ok, you would always have to have the direction lights on (F0) for the pan to operate, but if we are going to the extent of having operating pans, who is going to run with no lights on?

Roy

To be quite honest I suggested the opening doors just for a bit of fun, and may be because it's a sound you always get on a sound chip without it being able to reflect the actual door opening.

However, the idea of the pan being able to be raised is very attractive, especially on the 92.  

I presume it would raise the cost as well though, Dave?  How much, is the key question, and if so, would most purchasers be up for it?

Edited by Dixie Dean

Thinking about this a bit more, what about a driver that appears depending on which way the loco is being driven?  Or is this, as Monty Python might have said, "being a little bit too silly!"

• RMweb Gold

If you want real authenticity, why not something that shuts the loco down for no apparent reason in the most critical part of your layout?

Oh do be serious, it won't have started in the first place as a result of industrial action ;-)

Roy

• Like 1

Whilst operating pantographs seems like a nice idea, the Bachmann cads look like they add an extra arm that shouldn't be there to allow that to work.

On a 92, without the options for the shoes to raise/lower also, pantograph lower/raise would feel like a half effort to my mind. Opening windows/doors would definitely feel like a gimmick too far. Far better to spend the time on other areas (what those are i couldn't say however).