NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Can we, as crowdfunders add in a loco from the main range at the crowdfunder rate to our outstanding orders or do we simply contact you for a change in numbers?

I'll agree with that; I'd like one with my surname on the nameplate.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Firstly please excuse my ignorance. I have just seen this thread.

Please could anyone help me to save me scrolling through 24 pages to try to answer these questions.

1. What is a crowdfunder?

2. What is the difference between a crowdfunder and a non crowdfunder.

3. Either way what impact does this have on the price of the Class 92s?

4. Caledonian sleeper livery wasn't included in the first batch of 92s on one of the previous pages but I have just clicked on the Hattons link and 92038 in Caledonian sleeper livery is advertised on there. Are just batch two been advertised and sold through Hattons? If not then what is the reason for this?

5. How do we pre-order these 92s? Do we pre-order batch one through the Dave Jones website and batch two through Hattons? Or is their another way?

6. Are all of the 92s from batch one and batch two due for delivery between January and March 2018? Or are their different delivery dates for each model?

Thank you very much in advance.

Hi all,

Please could anyone help me to save me scrolling through 24 pages to try to answer these questions.

4. Caledonian sleeper livery wasn't included in the first batch of 92s on one of the previous pages but I have just clicked on the Hattons link and 92038 in Caledonian sleeper livery is advertised on there. Are just batch two been advertised and sold through Hattons? If not then what is the reason for this?

5. How do we pre-order these 92s? Do we pre-order batch one through the Dave Jones website and batch two through Hattons? Or is their another way?

Okay, to address some of your questions... in a nutshell:

The manufacturer announces proposed model.  Interested buyers order the models they want direct from DJ Models, where a deposit is charged upfront (£50). The remainder of the funds are paid at periodic intervals prior to production/delivery of the model.  In essense, crowdfunding is designed to assist manufacturers raise funds for projects that would perhaps otherwise never see reality.  A simple Google search will reveal plenty of further information regarding crowdunding in general however the above are the basics.  ;)

A "non-crowdfunder" is no different to how you would purchase any other model, ie. you may pre-order via any store (in this case Hattons), however you will not be charged for the product until your order is ready for despatch. 

You can pre-order the crowdfunder models direct from DJ Models, here... http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

You can pre-order the non-crowdfunder models via Hattons, here... http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3094212/1000588/1000672/0/DJ_Models_Dave_Jones_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Electric_locos/prodlist.aspx

"Is there another way?"    Hmmmm, why would you require "another way"?   :no:

Two versions of Caledonian Sleeper livery are available.  Firstly as a crowdfunder model via DJ Models (92033) and secondly as a non-crowdfunder model via Hattons (92038).

:)

Edited by YesTor

Hi all,

3. Either way what impact does this have on the price of the Class 92s?

6. Are all of the 92s from batch one and batch two due for delivery between January and March 2018? Or are their different delivery dates for each model?

The manufacturer announces proposed model.  Interested buyers order the models they want direct from DJ Models, where a deposit is charged upfront (£50). The remainder of the funds are paid at periodic intervals prior to production/delivery of the model.  In essense, crowdfunding is designed to assist manufacturers raise funds for projects that would perhaps otherwise never see reality.  A simple Google search will reveal plenty of further information regarding crowdunding in general however the above are the basics.  ;)

A "non-crowdfunder" is no different to how you would purchase any other model, ie. you may pre-order via any store (in this case Hattons), however you will not be charged for the product until your order is ready for despatch. 

You can pre-order the crowdfunder models direct from DJ Models, here... http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

You can pre-order the non-crowdfunder models via Hattons, here... http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3094212/1000588/1000672/0/DJ_Models_Dave_Jones_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Electric_locos/prodlist.aspx

Two versions of Caledonian Sleeper livery are available.  Firstly as a crowdfunder model via DJ Models (92033) and secondly as a non-crowdfunder model via Hattons (92038).

You beat me to the draw!

To answer point 3: very little, so far as I can see.

A Caledonian Sleeper version (92033) was added in September 2016 to the original versions announced the previous month. Hatton’s is offering 92038.

Has the deadline for crowdfunding the Class 92s not passed?

I'm not quite sure on that to be honest, my understanding is that if you already have at least one crowdfunded model on pre-order then you can still add further models if you so wish, for the time-being anyway...

Thinking about it, I suppose considering the pre-order page is still active via DJM that would indicate that it is possible to still pre-order?  I'd imagine if you want one then get those pre-orders in sharpish...   :)

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Premium

You beat me to the draw!

To answer point 3: very little, so far as I can see.

A Caledonian Sleeper version (92033) was added in September 2016 to the original versions announced the previous month. Hatton’s is offering 92038.

I'm not quite sure on that to be honest, my understanding is that if you already have at least one crowdfunded model on pre-order then you can still add further models if you so wish, for the time-being anyway...

Thinking about it, I suppose considering the pre-order page is still active via DJM that would indicate that it is possible to still pre-order?  I'd imagine if you want one then get those pre-orders in sharpish...   :)

Thank you both very much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I really shouldn't even be considering 92s at this moment in time what with Dapol 68s, Bachmann 37s and 70s and Hornby 56s but here I am :no:

Really tempted to buy both DB Schenker Red 92s and both Caledonian Sleeper Class 92s. That's £600 though DCC Fitted. Can I afford this? No.

I need to have a quick think about how I can afford some of these. Really don't want to miss out especially considering that I have just seen the project and thread.

Does anyone know the prices of the first batch which are been sold through DJ Models website?

Do both batches (from DJ Models website and Hattons) come with Limited Edition certificates? Or is it only the first batch that come with them through DJ Models?

Is there an option to have 92033 in Caledonian Sleeper livery as a DCC Fitted version through DJ Models? Or is it just either as a standard model or DCC Sound Fitted for this loco?

I really appreciate the help and information.

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission

• RMweb Premium

The retailer batch was announced by Dave yesterday, you've read every post since. He's best placed to confirm things like limited edition certificates (I'd assume not), whether you can order 'retailer' editions through him directly (seems likely), and whether he's doing a straight "DCC fitted" version (probably not as it's never been discussed).

• RMweb Premium

The retailer batch was announced by Dave yesterday, you've read every post since. He's best placed to confirm things like limited edition certificates (I'd assume not), whether you can order 'retailer' editions through him directly (seems likely), and whether he's doing a straight "DCC fitted" version (probably not as it's never been discussed).

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I'm just asking because some of the models on the DJ Models website are available as standard models and either DCC Fitted or DCC Sound Fitted. However no loco is available in all three versions as some are offered as DCC Fitted or DCC Sound Fitted for the second model.

I suppose I can always fit my own DCC Decoders. It would have just been nice to not have to fit the decoders myself.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, my mistake. I'm interested in the N gauge one (but that thread is deader than a dead thing), which has only been offered in "DCC ready" or "DCC sound fitted", but not "DCC fitted".

Surely fitting a decoder is the work of seconds though? I'd always buy DCC ready and fit a decoder of my choice.

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know the prices of the first batch which are been sold through DJ Models website?

Do both batches (from DJ Models website and Hattons) come with Limited Edition certificates? Or is it only the first batch that come with them through DJ Models?

Is there an option to have 92033 in Caledonian Sleeper livery as a DCC Fitted version through DJ Models? Or is it just either as a standard model or DCC Sound Fitted for this loco?

I really appreciate the help and information.

Although Dave has announced he's away for a few days, he generally does get round to answering emails, so probably best to ask him direct.

He can be contacted via the DJModels webpage.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi everyone,

Jetlag's a b**ch, and the journey isn't over yet.

Just logged on to find questions questions. I'll try to answer them here...............

The crowdfunding models are different from the standard releases in that you will get a certificate, they will be limited, and they will not be repeated in number / livery combination. You also get them as a special price.

Then there's the standard range, of which Hattons are offering along with every other DJM stockist that wants to stock them, and i have had orders from Rails, Hattons, Kernow, Invicta,

Cheltenham amongst others so you can order these practically anywhere.

They are not special edition. You can, however, get them as Analogue, DCC fitted and DCC sound fitted as standard from stockists, in both N and OO gauge.

I did mail Hattons yesterday to notify them of the correct RRP prices, but i do not know if they have altered them yet.

For those that want to know the RRP's

N gauge 

Analogue  model RRP     £169.95              

DCC fitted model RRP     £189.95              

Sound fitted model RRP £289.95               

OO gauge

Analogue  model RRP     £169.95               

DCC fitted model RRP     £189.95               

Sound fitted model RRP £289.95               

And yes i kept the N and OO class 92 order process open for those that want extra at the better crowdfunded price, and to help numbers pick up somewhat, just in case.

And no, it is not possible to swap a crowdfunded model for a subsidised standard model i'm afraid.

Hope this helps, and i'll post again when i'm free to.

Cheers

Dave

Edited for revised prices and jet lag!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, my mistake. I'm interested in the N gauge one (but that thread is deader than a dead thing), which has only been offered in "DCC ready" or "DCC sound fitted", but not "DCC fitted".

Surely fitting a decoder is the work of seconds though? I'd always buy DCC ready and fit a decoder of my choice.

That's true. The only reason I was wanting DCC Fitted is so that hopefully they would have been the same decoders fitted as what's going to be the Hattons batch. Although this isn't guaranteed anyway. Thinking about it because I need four function decoders to be able to operate consists on my new controller I might order them all as standard locos and then fit my own decoders to ensure that all of the functions work correctly.

Thank you very much for pointing that out.

Although Dave has announced he's away for a few days, he generally does get round to answering emails, so probably best to ask him direct.

He can be contacted via the DJModels webpage.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Mick. I will email Dave through the website and see what he says. It would be nice to buy both of the Caledonian 92s at least. There's me saying that I don't model electric locos :no: 

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Jetlag's a b**ch, and the journey isn't over yet.

Just logged on to find questions questions. I'll try to answer them here...............

The crowdfunding models are different from the standard releases in that you will get a certificate, they will be limited, and they will not be repeated in number / livery combination. You also get them as a special price.

Then there's the standard range, of which Hattons are offering along with every other DJM stockist that wants to stock them, and i have had orders from Rails, Hattons, Kernow, Invicta,

Cheltenham amongst others so you can order these practically anywhere.

They are not special edition. You can, however, get them as Analogue, DCC fitted and DCC sound fitted as standard from stockists, in both N and OO gauge.

I did mail Hattons yesterday to notify them of the correct RRP prices, but i do not know if they have altered them yet.

For those that want to know the RRP's

N gauge 

Analogue             £149.95

DCC fitted            £169.95

DCC sound fitted £249.95

OO gauge

Analogue             £169.95

DCC fitted            £189.95

DCC sound fitted £269.95

And yes i kept the N and OO class 92 order process open for those that want extra at the better crowdfunded price, and to help numbers pick up somewhat, just in case.

And no, it is not possible to swap a crowdfunded model for a subsidised standard model i'm afraid.

Hope this helps, and i'll post again when i'm free to.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave for the answers to the questions. I really appreciate it.

What are the prices for the OO Gauge Class 92s as the crowdfunder models available from the website?

Also please could you confirm which are the crowdfunder OO Gauge Class 92s? Is it all of them that are listed on the pre-order/expression of interest page on the website? Or am I looking at the wrong page?

Hi mate,

the ones on my expression of interest / orders page.

If no one beats me to it by then, i'll look the prices out for you and post here in a bit if that's ok?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Hi mate,

the ones on my expression of interest / orders page.

If no one beats me to it by then, i'll look the prices out for you and post here in a bit if that's ok?

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for letting me know.

That's fine. Just let me know when you have got time.

What is the payment plan/schedule for these 92s? Is it £50 per loco when pre-ordering and then the rest when the locos arrive? Or are the other payments made before the locos arrive?

• RMweb Premium

£30.00 deposit for each crowdfunded model.

Then 50% of the balance once tooling starts, which will i think, be very soon now.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, that's brilliant.

Are we notified before the money/payments are taken or not?

If you could just let me know how much the crowdfunder models are.

• RMweb Premium

Now to the prices……

The benefits of Crowdfunding are sometimes ‘blurry’ and you don’t really get to see any benefit to waiting for the model to come to fruition and paying up front. Well, I agree. And as such, in keeping with the American system of doing this process, I am offering a fair bonus for those that want to buy more than 1 and a very fair price for a single model……and there are no limits to the amount of models you can order.

The OO gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £159.95 per model

The Crowd Funded Class 92 will cost for the first model ordered £134.95

Any subsequent models ordered after the first one will cost £119.95 each!

Sound Versions will be an extra £95.00 for each model ordered.

These prices do not include postage, which will be at cost worldwide, and be added to the final invoice. You can order as many at £119.95 as you wish, and if you want to order multiple models in the same livery, please mail me directly info@djmodels.co.uk and I’ll invoice for the total deposit payable.[/b]

• RMweb Premium

Now to the prices……

The benefits of Crowdfunding are sometimes ‘blurry’ and you don’t really get to see any benefit to waiting for the model to come to fruition and paying up front. Well, I agree. And as such, in keeping with the American system of doing this process, I am offering a fair bonus for those that want to buy more than 1 and a very fair price for a single model……and there are no limits to the amount of models you can order.

The OO gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £159.95 per model

The Crowd Funded Class 92 will cost for the first model ordered £134.95

Any subsequent models ordered after the first one will cost £119.95 each!

Sound Versions will be an extra £95.00 for each model ordered.

These prices do not include postage, which will be at cost worldwide, and be added to the final invoice. You can order as many at £119.95 as you wish, and if you want to order multiple models in the same livery, please mail me directly info@djmodels.co.uk and I’ll invoice for the total deposit payable.[/b]

Thank you very much for posting the price list. I really appreciate it.

Those prices are fantastic. Especially if you would like to buy more than one model because after the first one you buy they are £15 cheaper.

I will definitely be buying some of the crowdfunded models. Really looking forward to these locos.

Thank you very much.

I’m really supportive of this crowdfunding initiative, I believe it’s a great way to test the market for something and then go about achieving it. As such, I also really appreciate Dave for starting this crowdfund for the Class 92, as I’ve always been into diesels.

Therefore I’ve put my money where my mouth is and signed up, having paid my deposit a few months ago. I’m only able to afford one loco. My choices were the EWS, DB Scheneker or the GBRf, and I eventually decided on the DB Scheneker.

However, there are a few things that I’m not understanding on the recent announcements.

I’m participating in this crowdfunding because I like the Class 92 and the level of detail that DJ is aiming for. I’m hoping to be a basic railway modeller and to run my Class 92, not keep it in a box, nor store it as an investment. As such, any ‘Limited Edition’ certificates don’t have much value to me, but I understand that others have a different approach. [There will be a Certificate but not individually numbered: ref post #488]. Also, my understanding of the benefit of being a crowdfunder was that I’d be getting my loco £25 cheaper than when it gets released to the trade. [Post #455 “The OO gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £159.95 per model. The Crowd Funded Class 92 will cost for the first model ordered £134.95”]

Also, the Sound versions will be an extra £95, = £230.95 if you only buy one model.

So, what was it that appealed to me about paying upfront a deposit and then waiting for 12 – 18 months for something which I haven’t seen, apart from CAD images?

Partially it was the promise of a detailed model plus the belief that the price was going to be £25 cheaper. And possibly that I’d be getting it before the mass market can buy it in the shops, although I understand that this was never explicit (and is a bit selfish, but so what).

But now Hattons are offering the same DJ Class 90 Pre-Order for £135 (as someelse pointed out, only 5p more expensive), or with sound for £230 (95p cheaper).  (Prices correct as of 1st June 2017 @ 22:15hrs) Ok, the numbering on the side will be different, but I imagine that this will only affect those who either want a unique collector’s edition or want several in the same livery. I'm not precious* about the number so this won’t affect those like me who just want a good DJ Class 92 model.

So am I missing something here, as I cannot see the benefit of paying the £30 deposit way ahead of the market, and soon another £50 in advance for tooling, whenever I could have waited until Hattons have the model in stock, I could then read the reviews to see if it lives up to the marketing, and then buy the sound version cheaper.

Any clarification as to how I’m seeing this would be appreciated.

* Edit: Corrected spelling mistake: previous should have been precious

Edited by Damo666

I’m really supportive of this crowdfunding initiative, I believe it’s a great way to test the market for something and then go about achieving it. As such, I also really appreciate Dave for starting this crowdfund for the Class 92, as I’ve always been into diesels.

Therefore I’ve put my money where my mouth is and signed up, having paid my deposit a few months ago. I’m only able to afford one loco. My choices were the EWS, DB Scheneker or the GBRf, and I eventually decided on the DB Scheneker.

However, there are a few things that I’m not understanding on the recent announcements.

I’m participating in this crowdfunding because I like the Class 92 and the level of detail that DJ is aiming for. I’m hoping to be a basic railway modeller and to run my Class 92, not keep it in a box, nor store it as an investment. As such, any ‘Limited Edition’ certificates don’t have much value to me, but I understand that others have a different approach. [There will be a Certificate but not individually numbered: ref post #488]. Also, my understanding of the benefit of being a crowdfunder was that I’d be getting my loco £25 cheaper than when it gets released to the trade. [Post #455 “The OO gauge Class 92 will have, when it eventually gets released to the trade, an RRP of £159.95 per model. The Crowd Funded Class 92 will cost for the first model ordered £134.95”]

Also, the Sound versions will be an extra £95, = £230.95 if you only buy one model.

So, what was it that appealed to me about paying upfront a deposit and then waiting for 12 – 18 months for something which I haven’t seen, apart from CAD images?

Partially it was the promise of a detailed model plus the belief that the price was going to be £25 cheaper. And possibly that I’d be getting it before the mass market can buy it in the shops, although I understand that this was never explicit (and is a bit selfish, but so what).

But now Hattons are offering the same DJ Class 90 Pre-Order for £135 (as someelse pointed out, only 5p more expensive), or with sound for £230 (95p cheaper).  (Prices correct as of 1st June 2017 @ 22:15hrs) Ok, the numbering on the side will be different, but I imagine that this will only affect those who either want a unique collector’s edition or want several in the same livery. I'm not previous about the number so this won’t affect those like me who just want a good DJ Class 92 model.

So am I missing something here, as I cannot see the benefit of paying the £30 deposit way ahead of the market, and soon another £50 in advance for tooling, whenever I could have waited until Hattons have the model in stock, I could then read the reviews to see if it lives up to the marketing, and then buy the sound version cheaper.

Any clarification as to how I’m seeing this would be appreciated.

Didn't Dave say a few posts back that in order to get the project moving forwards to the EP sample he has had to approach the box shifters, to get the critical number of orders together? It is a compromise but then if the project does not move to the next step now it could be a long wait, costs could increase, or it doesn't progress beyond the CAD stage and then none of those orders will be fulfilled.

This is a crowdfunded project - so the process is being driven by our deposits and advanced orders!

If you check Hattons website, the N gauge ones are also £135 but have a retail price some £25 less in Dave's post. Dave has also stated on this thread that he sent an E-mail about the retail price to Hattons.

We therefore think Hattons have applied the cheaper N gauge price to the OO one in error. If so, I guess we shall see a correction some £25 upwards on their website soon.