Where next for the Class 442s?

Over a quarter of the class are now BM depot:

2416 arrived 5/9

2404 + 2409 arrived 7/9

2411 + 2417 arrived 12/9

2414 +2418 arrived 14/9

Here's today's arrivals passing Poole and in the carriage sidings after the loco ran-round, awaiting the road to Branksome and jnto the depot.

Nice front profile of the 47, Peter, showing the high radius of the roof and the droop of the cab's front windows.

Many thanks.

I see from 4630's post that the route of the transfers takes them past my old school, St. Dominics Priory, Ponsbourne Park, just north of Cuffley (Herts.).

You could see Ponsbourne Viaduct from the playground. A1s, A3s & A4s plus N2s etc. on the locals, in those far off days.

Funny old world, ain't it ?.

Edited by Ceptic

Thanks- I didn't see the Brush, just the trailing coach of one unit, and the lead coach of the other.

0906 5O86 Ely Papworth sdgs - BOMO - it ran yesterday instead as it was caped on Thurs for some reason (possibly because the weather wasn't very good for photography and much better yesterday ??)

Think that makes 9 442's at BOMO now ???? - might be wrong - must be getting cramped there now

• RMweb Premium

That's on the Virginia Water to Byfleet/ Weybridge line, so they'd be heading for Bournemouth. From Ely, most likely.

So routed because of engineering work restricting main line capacity.  Some 444s and 12-car 450s (so not Readings) were coming via Chertsey and Richmond as well.

• RMweb Premium

But wouldn't they be routed that way anyway?

Hard to say as the 442s are not timetabled moves so have to go by which ever route offers a pathway. But given they are on the main line from Byfleet Junction either way it makes sense to me to route them via Wimbledon. Except when only two tracks are available that way.

The routing for the 442 deliveries is the easiest from Anglia - NLL - Kew Jn's - Staines - Byfleet - SWML etc ....................

but yes other trains were routed out of Waterloo via the Windsor's too Friday and this weekend - I have a tortuous Andover - Waterloo via Staines in prospect this afternoon ...................... :O

but yes other trains were routed out of Waterloo via the Windsor's too Friday and this weekend - I have a tortuous Andover - Waterloo via Staines in prospect this afternoon ...................... :O

Way better than a bus, but if there were ever a tedious journey... It's better on a stopper - at least there's an obvious reason for it taking so long.

But I'm not complaining that they divert trains. Not when I know what the alternative would be.

• RMweb Premium

I think it was one of these that caused havoc by breaking down at Thornton Heath one afternoon a couple of weeks back on a test run and the other (and presumably someone who still signs 442's) was summoned to come and rescue it.

There were two at SL. One was 2408 and the other 2402, so that MIGHT be the other unit.

Pic. by David Scard on SEG's F/B page shows 2402 at SU on 21/09.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Ceptic