PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR

acko22

I notice that another thread has appeared which Andy Y has locked and directed all to here. This is OK in one sense as I can see that there is duplication of sorts, but, with respects to all, N gauge is a minority interest and this subject is of great sentimental significance particularly at this time.

Perhaps there is a way around this.

Regards

but, with respects to all, N gauge is a minority interest .

You do realise that your phrase is now often considered to be a deliberate insult. As a N gauge modeller I am not not considering it an insult just a representation of the mindset of many 4mm modellers  Also given that this tread is not labled as be being N gauge specific I don't see the problem; its no different than if it was only done in association with Hornby.

Congrats to those involved and to Freightliner but it's a pity that something along the lines of the two Class 91s in terms of livery could not have been achieved instead of the rather insipid new Freightliner colours.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Model railways in general could be regarded as a "minority interest", so identifying N gauge within model railways as such seems to me a little pointless.

I really like Freightliner's colours and it is a testament to their strength and popularity that Genessee and Wyoming, who have not hesitated to impose their own brand in takeovers elsewhere in the world, have refrained here.

It may also worth considering the practicalities of this project: It required a real life loco to be named, and then a model of that loco made available in a timely fashion. Finding a rail operator willing to take part, and then sourcing a manufacturer willing to produce the model, was an incredible balancing act.

This project will support an exceptionally good cause and has come about because an enthusiastic, driven and amazingly resourceful N gauge modeller has made it happen.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

I notice that another thread has appeared which Andy Y has locked and directed all to here. This is OK in one sense as I can see that there is duplication of sorts, but, with respects to all, N gauge is a minority interest and this subject is of great sentimental significance particularly at this time.

Perhaps there is a way around this.

Regards

I beg to differ, while the model will only be in N gauge AT THE MOMENT this project is for something much more important that a hobby!

The biggest reason I wanted to do this project was as a serving soldier I only know a little of the horrors of what those men who left their protected trades had to see and deal with even after my operational tours there is next to no comparison. These men gave their lives for us to have our freedoms and the way of life we are lucky enough to have today.

So while the models may not interest yourself, the reason for this project is about something much more and if I can help fellow service personnel, veterans and their families by getting them done in ANY gauge can you blame me?

• Like 3

You do realise that your phrase is now often considered to be a deliberate insult. As a N gauge modeller I am not not considering it an insult just a representation of the mindset of many 4mm modellers  Also given that this tread is not labled as be being N gauge specific I don't see the problem; its no different than if it was only done in association with Hornby.

Congrats to those involved and to Freightliner but it's a pity that something along the lines of the two Class 91s in terms of livery could not have been achieved instead of the rather insipid new Freightliner colours.

Bomag,

Just to elaborate on what Ben has said, it came down to a number of practicalities the big one been the timings but also costs.

My first concern was always making sure it was a fitting way to honour and remember all those railway employees who gave their lives in service.

Second to that was to make people aware of other service charities that they make not be aware of, the proof of this came on Friday when even one of the guests at the naming said they had never heard of the ABF! 

Thirdly - Was to make money for the service charities, sadly to do special liveries and have them done on models well it costs a lot of money a number I was quoted was around £10,000 - £15,000 for a special and intricate design such as the ones the 91s carry, so this would take money away from the service charities they are to support which is why we have gone for the corporate liveries. This means all the money can go to support those that need it.

Thanks

Gareth

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

ill be the first to say i hadn't even noticed this thread was under the Dapol section, it came up in "view new content", the title didnt give much away though regards the loco being named or there being a model of it becoming available soon, curiosity made me click on it if thruth be told

as for the charity itself, i'll also say i'd not heard of it until i read this thread, hopefully the 66 being out and about nationwide will raise awareness of it futher

Edited by big jim

Bomag,

Just to elaborate on what Ben has said, it came down to a number of practicalities the big one been the timings but also costs.

Thanks

Gareth

Which is why I said it was a pity it was not possible to do something a bit more expansive, I did not imply that it should have been.

I have to say that I did not know what the ABF was but then all my family who have served since WW1 have been in the Navy or RAF.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say that I did not know what the ABF was but then all my family who have served since WW1 have been in the Navy or RAF.

Hi Bomag,

My understanding is that Friday's naming was the first of three. In 2017 there will be another naming, with the final one in 2018 on the day which will of course coincide with the 100th anniversary of the end of WW1. The other two namings will support a Navy and an RAF charity in turn.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

Which is why I said it was a pity it was not possible to do something a bit more expansive, I did not imply that it should have been.

Hi Bomag,

My appologies if that sounded a bit grunpy in my orignial reply.

It has been a re occuring question about the livery and having special ones done.

Which I have to admit would be great but the numbers would not add up to make it workable.

Regards

Gareth

Hi All,

Ok well the moment has arrived:

If you want a rare opportunity to ride on the foot plate of a real freight service then this is your chance if you go to:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/project-railway-honour-raffle-ticket-freightliner-cab-ride-2016/

You now have the chance to get your ticket(s) for a cab ride on a FL service from Crewe to Carlisle with a return on a Virgin Pendolino. The tickets are just £5 each a bargain even if I do say so myself.

The online sales will end at 16:00 on Friday the 25th November tickets will be available at Warley on Saturday the 26th at the Revolution Trains stand where you can find up on stand C31.

The winning ticket will be drawn at Warley on the 27th November, the winners details will be passed to Freightliner who will contact the winner to organise a suitable date and time although please be aware there is a need to be flexible as those in the know will vouch for timings can change.

Terms and Conditions:

You must be over 18 to enter
You will be responsible for travel to and from Crewe
There is only one place available for one person to travel on this service
If at any stage you cause an issue to safety you will be removed for the service and neither Freightliner or Project railway Honour reimburse will you for any costs if you are removed.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just a little bump the Raffle for the cab ride finishes online a week today at 16:00, this is a rare oportunity if not near impossible to get these days.
As they say "You have to be in in it to win it" and at five pounds all to ABF - The Soldiers Charity its more than worth it if I do say so myself.

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/project-railway-honour-raffle-ticket-freightliner-cab-ride-2016/

Once the tickets finish online there will be a final chance to purchase a ticket from myself in cash at Warley where I am been hosted by Revolution trains on stand C31 where I will also have the first deco sample of PATRIOT and the model sales will go live.

Hi Sir Douglas,

I have been keeping an eye on PATRIOT as and when I can and I know it seems to be working to and from Doncaster / Leeds a bit at the moment, although a few of the guys at Crewe want to have it over at Basford Hall more often than not since the name is so closely linked to Crewe.

Gents there is only 2 days left to get your a raffle ticket online for the cab ride between Crewe and Carlisle with the final tickets been available from the Revolution trains stand at Warley C31, the tickets are £5 with all of it going to ABF - The soldiers Charity. 

• Like 1

Hi All,

Last Chance to get online raffle tickets for a Freightliner Cab ride between Crewe and Carlisle only £5 a ticket with all the money going direct to the ABF - The Soldiers Charity.

For any of you going Warley come and see the first deco sample at stand C31 where Revolution Trains are hosting me and Project Railway Honour where you have a final chance on the Saturday to get a raffle ticket, you never know you could get some models a first look at what Mike and Ben announce (I have no idea either) and possibly a cab ride on a real operational freight service! You never know it could be PATRIOT itself!

It was a pleasure to meet yourself Gerry and many other forum members this weekend.

Ok my first Warley weekend not as a member of the public and what an experience!

Firstly a huge congratulations must go to Ben Ando and Mike Hale of Revolution Trains on been awarded the Gwyn Humphrey Award today although I missed that bit while I was getting some 'Fresh air' :punish: 

And back to "Patriot" I received the first Deco Sample on Friday and their are some mistakes and things that need cleaning up the basic design is their. The new G & W markings are on the sample and looking good and perfectly done already its just the things that make "Patriot" different amongst its 66/4 classmates which we are now working on to make the model identical to the day it was named at Crewe

I have the sample with me and will get some picture up in due course for everyone who wasn't able to make Warley get a peek at it this first Deco Sample to get a taste of what the final model will look like when it arrives on your doors in due course.

I will finally be getting around to working directly on the Project website updating it and getting a newsletter out to keep you all informed of the news relating to "Patriot", (A very full time Military Career, the real loco naming and working with the model has taken up all of my time until now) so within the coming week now the naming is done I can get to concentrate on the website and the model alone (well around work anyhow).

The model sales are live at:

http://www.revolutiontrains.com/product/Dapol-66418-patriot-limited-edition/

This is a limited edition model and very much a first come first served model, this will never be produced again so if you want one please get your order in for this unique model in support of and directly raising funds for ABF - The Soldiers Charity.

I sadly now have to make a point clear after reports that were made to me over the course of the weekend which went as follows:

THE ORGANISATIONS INVOLVED ARE TAKING A CUT OF THE PROFIT SO THE ABF WAS ONLY GETTING A PERCANTAGE OF THE PROFITS FROM THE MODELS

THIS IS TOTALLY UNFOUNDED AND A COMPLETE LIE, ALL THE PROFITS ARE GOING DIRECTLY TO ABF - THE SOLDIERS CHARITY

Dapol, Revolution Trains and Freightliner have all contributed their time and expertise to this project knowing full well that there is no profit in this project for them and they have all volunteered to be part of this project to HONOUR THE PAST AND HELP TODAY, I think it is very disappointing that individuals not linked to this project feel the need to spread the false comments and should they wish to come forward and make them publically then I will happily deal with their comments.

Finally on a happy note, congratulations to JAMES EDMUNDS who was the winner of the FREIGHTLINER cab ride between Crewe and Carlisle, your details have been passed on to my contact at Crewe who will be in contact in due course to organise this rare opportunity.

Thanks

Gareth

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gareth,

It seems very sad to me that such a wonderfully altruistic and inspiring project should be leading to unfounded rumours and negativity, and it almost beggars belief that I have to write this, but for avoidance of doubt and to scotch any more of this nonsense let me just say this:

1). Revolution Trains is providing free web hosting to Gareth for Project Railway Honour. This doesn't really cost us anything, and therefore is not diverting away any monies from our crowdfunding supporters, but means PRH does not have to fund a website or pay for merchandising software. So more money goes to the ABF Soldiers' Charity. To avoid such costs and the necessary set-up expertise Gareth could've chosen Paypal but that would incur fees and so less would go to charity.

2). Revolution Trains has hosted Gareth at both TINGS and Warley, absolutely free of charge, to give him a platform for PRH. Warley and TINGS are arguably the two most important shows in the model railway calendar and offer by far the most effective way to generate interest and instil confidence in PRH. My experience is that engaging with customers face to face - at these major events - builds confidence and credibility infinitely more than just working from behind a keyboard. If not, the shows would rapidly lose serious manufacturer support!

3). My personal contribution so far is to design the PRH presentation box and leaflets, and to pay for the latter to be printed. I chose to pay for the printing as a gesture of my personal support and to ensure not a penny of Revolution Funding was used for anything not directly related to the business. Also, and I can't believe I feel the need to write this, I will also be paying the same as everyone else for one of the locos, which I have already ordered. Adding all this together means that I will be supporting this project with around £250 of my own money, which I am delighted to do as I will be getting a fantastic and unique model and doing something I believe to be right.

And let me add this personal note: I have a huge respect and admiration for those who serve our country. I have had occasion to work with British Forces at various times in some unpleasant and dangerous places in my "day job" and found them to be incredibly professional, decent and honest in conditions of extreme stress. Some may also know that I have written a book detailing incidents of supreme bravery by police officers, proceeds of which go to the Police Dependents Ttrust and only last week was invited to their 50th anniversary reception as a thank you for the money that book has raised.

My personal view is that the treatment of wounded servicemen or emergency service personnel - or those suffering the scars that cannot be seen - can be disgraceful and I am happy and proud to offer what little assistance I can. They do a job that is far more important and dangerous than waffling into a microphone! Or, indeed, making model trains.

And let me add to anyone weighing up the veracity of these claims: Would a respected company like Freightliner, or a manufacturer like Dapol, have got involved if there was event the tiniest aspect that was not above board? Would the Briitsh Army have sent an honour guard to the dedication service that saw the loco named at Crewe?

Of course not. The rumours are utter rubbish.

Furthermore, I think that sniping and making utterly baseless allegations about PRH is, frankly, very poor form and if it puts one person off supporting this project is truly despicable.

I do not know where the rumours came from, who started them, or what their motive might be. But whoever they are, I think their behaviour says a lot more about them and their own integrity than it does about PRH.

Here endeth the rant, and can we now please get back to enjoying in a spirit of comradeship and co-operation this hobby we all love.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Can I just contribute to Ben's comments here by fully agreeing with his comments, and urge one and all to disregard such foolish third party idiocy and get behind this terrific venture for such a worthy cause.

It's amazing how many naysayers we get in this hobby of ours, but thank god we have people like Ben, Mike, Dapol, Freightliner and last but by no means least, Gareth, that are so terrific in combining, to make this project one that is really special and deserving, in that it will aid our boys and girls who stand in harms way for our safety and freedom, via the Army Benevolent Fund.

I'll be ordering one, that's for sure.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I'm only an occasional poster on RMWEB and avoid commenting on the more "contoversial" topics but feel this is an exception.

It's one thing to decide not to support a charity, it's quite another to start rumours and undermine other's efforts

The world needs more people prepared to step up like you Gareth, not fewer because they are put off by this kind of thing.

I have huge admiration for what you are doing as I'm sure is the case for the vast majority on here.

Rob

This is a fantastic project which I fully support, as a son of someone who served in the British Army, it gives those who give their lives for this country the recognition they deserve. Keep up the great work with this project.

Cheers

Craig

Hi Ben, Gareth and all,

What a fantastic job you are doing in this fabulous effort to raise funds for our forces. And Ben your personal contribution goes well beyond what most would do. It's such a shame you have had to raise these points to clarify and overcome mindless rumours caused by the thoughtlessness of a few.

I hope this and the rest of the project is a huge success.

Thanks

Mark

I'll be honest here, the loco itself doesn't interest me as it's not the sort of thing I buy.

However, if there is any way of supporting this project outside of buying the model then I'd be interesting in hearing about it and helping out if I can.