PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR

acko22

WE ARE PROUD TO ANNOUNCE PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR IN CONJUCTION WITH Dapol and REVOLUTION TRAINS HAS NOW BECOME PUBLIC

post-21296-0-05447700-1473973854.png

The project aims to have 3 main line locomotives named "PATRIOT", "VALOUR" and "REMEMBRANCE" replicating locomotives which the LNWR, GCR and LB&SC Rly named after WW1 to honour their fallen employees of the war.

Each locomotive will be owned a separate company just as happened after WW1, Dapol will then produce 250 limited edition models in N gauge of each after they are named these will be available from www.projectrailwayhonour.com at a price of £105 each with the proceeds going to one of 3 service charities which his also named on the locomotives.

post-21296-0-52502900-1473973842_thumb.jpg

FREIGHTLINER are the first rail company to be naming a locomotive on the 11th November this locomotive will carry the name "PATRIOT" and will be in support of ABF THE SOLDIERS CHARITY

There will also be 2 money cannot buy raffle prizes on the website:

A day driving tanks with the ARMY
A cab ride from Crewe to Carlisle on a freight service courtesy of FREIGHTLINER.

For more information and to keep up to date please go to:

www.projectrailwayhonour.com

post-21296-0-33042600-1473973990.png      post-21296-0-00615800-1473974001_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks for that great pic Marcus,

Talks are already at an advanced stage with 2 other rail companies , doesnt take a rocket scientist to guess wh one of the companies are.

As for been N gauge the project is purely N gauge AT THE MOMENT, I am looking into it but one thing at a time, fitting this in with the day job has been hard work as it is!

The project aims to have 3 main line locomotives named "PATRIOT", "VALOUR" and "REMEMBRANCE" replicating locomotives which the LNWR, GCR and LB&SC Rly named after WW1 to honour their fallen employees of the war.

We see what we want to see, I suppose. I took this to mean that the locomotives would be a Claughton, a Lord Faringdon and a Baltic Tank. Reading more of the post, I don’t think that can possibly be the case and what is meant is that modern diesels or electrics are to be given replica nameplates.

It’s not for me but it is a very imaginative idea and I wish the project well.

HI Chard, I agree it looks spot on the intent is not to repeat the name on another loco.

When the media can be published I hope you all see what I am hoping to have on the loco, I have been in talks with GBRF about 66715 been part of the project as it already carries the name.

The thing I am looking at is the fact as yet no one has done it in RTR format and there are no plans as far as I know for it to be done in RTR format.

But as I say when I can publish the Media for "Patriot" then you will be able to see in more detail what the plan is and understand the project a little more

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent news...

Just one question which I'm hoping someone can answer, with regards to the livery is it the older Freightliner Powerhaul livery (light grey buffer beams) or newer Freightliner Powerhaul livery (black buffer beams)?

And what exactly does RevolutioN have to do with this project?

• RMweb Gold

And what exactly does RevolutioN have to do with this project?

We have done Gareth's website for him. We will also provide a sales outlet through our website when Gareth is ready for them to go on sale.

But more to the point we are delighted to support a fantastic project!

HTH

Mike

Edited by red death
  • Like 1

Hi Gang,

I believe one of the three names (Patriot??) is going on to 66416 which is a black buffer beam Powerhaul 66.

The name 'Valour' is already on 66715 and may be subject to a re-dedication, and the name 'Remembrance' is still subject to negotiation.

I'm sure that Gareth will be along to correct any of my factual errors.

An incredibly worthwhile and sobering project imho...

Later,

Stu from EGDL

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay things have been very busy at my end both with the project and with the day job (which included blowing up my phone by accident (but that's another story)

Ok to answer MGRs question the loco that is to be named is 66418 which was selected from a few locomotives which Freightliner were kind enough to offer up, this loco as Stu states is in the new black buffer beam variant.

As I have already said this model will be the first N gauge model to carry the new markings for the Freightliner fleet since they were taken over by Genesse and Wyoming last year, which while it is by chance I think it is great to say that this project will have another first.

And now on to the less wanted news due to issues out of our control the models have missed their slot on the production line so sadly will not be ready for Warley which is what everyone was hoping for however I will have at least one sample at Warley for everyone to see and the models will go on sale on at 10 am on the 26th of November.

Everything is been done to get the models produced asap so we can have them as a soon as possible, while it is disappointing for us all, we still feel that is still a feat to go from actual example to model in such a short time.

66418_Full_R1.pdf

OK as to the next 2 locomotives as has already been alluded to, GBRF already have VALOUR I am in talks with them at an advanced stage for the loco to be rechristened carrying a charity plaque as with PATRIOT, and as and when I have timely information that I can release I will do about this locomotive.

As for REMEMBRANCE I am in talks with a rail company for the final locomotive and so far so good but that is all I am going to say about that for now nothing more until at least the second loco is named (well rechristened anyway)

Finally gents while I know that been modern N gauge this isn't to everyone's taste or scale I cannot emphasis enough how worthwhile every charity that this project will be supporting. With proceeds of this project going to these charities.

If you don't want to get one of these limited edition models, please please donate just a little to these charities the work they do is amazing and help service men and women who have given up a normal life to serve us all

• Like 1

Hi all,

Ok well time for another update after another rounds of meetings today, and things are getting real now it seems like only 2 years ago I got the idea (one of the few good ones I get).
Today it was all about the actual naming, sadly all the naming will be private due to constraints placed upon us although there will be a chance to see the loco on the day of the naming for those that want to see it up close and personal, details will come out closer to the time although it will be a close thing again this is due to a number of constraints placed on us especially with the military aspect of things. I am sure you will all understand this and we will do what we can to get this info out to you in a timely manner.

With the unfortunate delay for the model we are getting a sample model ready for Warley so you can get up close and personal with the model,  sadly with there been so many working parts to project delays are almost inevitable and any delay would have a knock on to the whole project so getting this far without any delays was a blessing. For anyone who wants to see the model or has any questions I am been very gratefully hosted by Revolution / Rapido at the Warley show.

Now on to the juicy bit for today I have received a picture of the wooden plaques to be used in the nameplate making process and I love it and it really does make it real it really goes back to the original PATRIOT name plate and personally I cant wait to see there plate come from wooded plaques through the process and into actual cast plates! Its getting exciting but also terrifying the best way I can think of it is like a swan calm and graceful on top but under the surface kicking like hell!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

OK a little later than was hoping to get this up (Thank you road closures)!

FRIEGHTLINER POWERHAUL CLASS 66 -418 WILL GO PUBLIC DISPLAY AT CREWE TRAIN STATION AT 13:00 THIS FRIDAY (11th NOVEMBER)

You are all welcome to come see the locomotive and meet some of the people behind the project. This newly named locomotive will be on display between 13:00 and 15:00 for all to see and get a chance to have a look inside the cab of a modern class 66.

In attendance will be:

Freightliner
Dapol
Revolution Trains
And Me!

Please if you have time come and see us too see the first of 3 locomotives for this project in the flesh, I have seen the plates in the flesh and even if I do say so myself I think they look amazing, no pics for now you will either have to come and see them in the flesh or wait until the pictures start to appear.

Also there will be a special raffle prize going live on the project website www.projectrailwayhonour.com Freightliner has offered a Cab ride from Crewe to Carlisle on one of their intermodal services.
This will be drawn at Warley so if you want a rare chance to ride a real service when it goes live please don't delay as they say "You have to be in it to win it!"

I hope to see those of you that can make it on Friday

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

It was an honour and a privilege to attend the naming today of 66418 "Patriot" in association with Project Railway Honour at Freightliner's brand new depot at Basford Hall, Crewe.

post-420-0-40587600-1478890417_thumb.jpg

The day was one of glorious sunshine, and the locomotive is in the new Genessee and Wyoming version of the Freightliner powerhaul colours.

post-420-0-56240200-1478890294_thumb.jpg

The naming was preceded by a service of Remembrance with an honour guard from the Mercian Regiment, and then two minutes silence.

post-420-0-25160100-1478890247_thumb.jpg

Also in attendance were the family of locomotive driver Wilfred Wood, who was awarded the VC for single handedly storming an enemy machine gun nest in 1918. His family brought his medal along.

post-420-0-92626000-1478890322_thumb.jpg

Dapol will now produce a limited edition model of 66418 in its new colours, and with the Patriot nameplate, and a proceeds from the model will go to the Army Benevolent Fund.

The nameplate has been designed to reflect those formerly carried on Claughton locomotives - this the idea of one of Freightliner's own senior managers.

post-420-0-88156700-1478890282_thumb.jpg

The whole project was the brainchild of Corporal Gareth Atkinson. He has worked tirelessly to make this happpen and it is in my view a quite remarkable achievement.

post-420-0-39080800-1478890428_thumb.jpg

Later, the locomotive was taken to Crewe station to allow enthusiasts to photograph it, and for Gareth to be interviewed by local media!

post-420-0-74229400-1478890333_thumb.jpg

A painted sample of the model should be on show at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the NEC, either on Dapol's stand or the stand Revolution Trains is sharing with Rapido.

Cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 15

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for all the very kind words.

I have just got home and fair to say I am shattered so the emotions of today have really not sank in yet but no doubt over the next few days they will sink in. It has been a great privilege today and went better than I imagined. But the nameplate and plaque have totally blown my mind I got to see them in the flesh yesterday and words can't describe.

A massive thank and thumbs up must go to Freightliner, Dapol and Ben A and Red_death from Revolution trains, hand on heart if it wasn't for all of them this project would still be an idea on a piece of paper. After 2 years of hard work in the shadows for today to actually become a reality it's down to their good grace, trust and mostly patience with some annoying bloke from the army!

And they have really shown the truth in a quote I used today from David Stirling the founder of what is now know as the SAS:

"THERE IS NOTHING STRONGER THAN THE HEART OF A VOLUNTEER"

As Ben says there is going to be a limited edition run of this locomotive available to purchase as of the 26th November on the project website at 105 pounds each with ALL the profit going to ABF - The Soldiers Charity.

The Raffle prize of a cab ride will be going up in the next 24 hours I was going to have it up today but true to real life on the railways its delayed not by leaves on the line but the fact I am that shattered I am trying not to fall asleep on the Keyboard.

I don't have any pics from today but my family has and I will post them up when I get them tomorrow

Regards,

A very tired Gareth

• Like 10

Guest 40-something

Hi All,

Firstly thank you for all the very kind words.

I have just got home and fair to say I am shattered so the emotions of today have really not sank in yet but no doubt over the next few days they will sink in. It has been a great privilege today and went better than I imagined. But the nameplate and plaque have totally blown my mind I got to see them in the flesh yesterday and words can't describe.

A massive thank and thumbs up must go to Freightliner, Dapol and Ben A and Red_death from Revolution trains, hand on heart if it wasn't for all of them this project would still be an idea on a piece of paper. After 2 years of hard work in the shadows for today to actually become a reality it's down to their good grace, trust and mostly patience with some annoying bloke from the army!

And they have really shown the truth in a quote I used today from David Stirling the founder of what is now know as the SAS:

"THERE IS NOTHING STRONGER THAN THE HEART OF A VOLUNTEER"

As Ben says there is going to be a limited edition run of this locomotive available to purchase as of the 26th November on the project website at 105 pounds each with ALL the profit going to ABF - The Soldiers Charity.

The Raffle prize of a cab ride will be going up in the next 24 hours I was going to have it up today but true to real life on the railways its delayed not by leaves on the line but the fact I am that shattered I am trying not to fall asleep on the Keyboard.

I don't have any pics from today but my family has and I will post them up when I get them tomorrow

Regards,

A very tired Gareth

Well done to you Gareth, and all others who have provided you with support.

It is a fitting tribute to our fallen countrymen

Lest We Forget

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yes, well done to you Gareth. It is amazing what can be done with enthusiasm and perseverance. Not only the rededications/namings mentioned here, but also your work on the Revolution Poppy Pendolino. This is clearly a project extremely close to your heart, and I wish you all the best with it.

• RMweb Gold

i caught the 14:07 from crewe to derby today, got to the station about 13:30 and saw lots of people over on platform 8 and spotters on the platform ends, didnt know about the loco being named today or id have got there earlier, i take it the loco left early, did i miss it by much?

EDIT: looking at realtime trains it looked to arrive just after i left at 14:20, i was debating whether to hang on and catch the next train to derby but as i say i didnt know what people were waiting for

Edited by big jim

i caught the 14:07 from crewe to derby today, got to the station about 13:30 and saw lots of people over on platform 8 and spotters on the platform ends, didnt know about the loco being named today or id have got there earlier, i take it the loco left early, did i miss it by much?

Errr no it got in late :no:  Arrived at 14:35 should have been in at 13:00, I saw the 56s on the RHTT roll through on platform 12 and was actually wondering if it could have been you as I encouraged people to put their hands in their pockets by only getting out of the way of the stairs once they donated!

Edited by acko22