Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

My Hatton's Andrew Barclay has taken on a more weather worn unkempt look, and wooden dumb buffers for dockside operation representing the condition of such locomotives that were used on some of the other lines and private wharfs that existed in and around Southampton area especially along the River Itchen.

post-243-0-54949300-1524842729_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-19318500-1524842744_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-33110700-1524842757_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-31394700-1524842774_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Another visitor to Canute Road Quay this morning in the shape of an Adams ex LSWR T1 0-4-4t that has just left the workbench after a few tweaks and corrections of errors made when I built the kit many many years ago . Based on a Craftsman Kit.

post-243-0-02724600-1524918124_thumb.jpeg

post-243-0-10889600-1524918137_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

One of my Hatton's P Class loco No. 1558 again visits Canute Road Quay but looks like she could do with a little TLC...

post-243-0-26940700-1525264640_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is now less than two week to go to Canute Road Quay’s appearance at the excellent Railex exhibition organised by friends at the Princes Risborough and District MRC, being held at Stoke Mandeville Stadium, Stadium Approach, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP21 9PP on the 26th and 27th May  and I have been busy with final preparations.

The main one has been to make a small change to the way the cassettes in the off scene fiddle yard (a grand title for what is really just a shelf…) are handled and the electric feed provided. This is to make it easier to connect the cassette as previously I had two phosphor bronze spring clips fixed to the base which both provided the power feed to the aluminium section on each side and also ensured correct  alignment with the exit road. This arrangement also meant that the cassettes had to be aligned and slid in from the left hand end which was not all that practical due to the overrun protection at that side of the yard.

post-243-0-82318800-1526325801_thumb.jpg

I have now changed the nearest power feed and cassette alignment clip to be on a small lifting arm made from a suitable shaped piece of wood, complete with a nice little brass drawer handle. This enables the spring clip to be moved upwards and out of the way of the side of the cassette.

This arrangement now gives two advantages: firstly the cassettes can slid in and aligned easier from the front operating position; and secondly means that even with cassette in position the arm can be lifted isolating the cassette, where previously the cassette was live when the layout feed it adjoins to was live.

post-243-0-50367000-1526325828_thumb.jpg 

post-243-0-30726200-1526325848_thumb.jpg

The cassettes I am using on Canute Road Quay, as I have mentioned before on this blog, are the 12″ loco cassettes from Fisherton Sarum and the some of these are made up on one side with two 6″ lengths of aluminium angle which I bridge electronically with a bulldog type clip and this allows for further isolation of a tank locomotive at the far end of the cassette.

I look forward to seeing some of you at Railex.

This is an extract of my blog at www.grahammuz.com

The full post and further information can be read here

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm glad to see that the fiddle yard now has an end on it, and is a bit less suicidal!

I seem to remember at Exeter last year, all that was preventing a nosedive off the end was a spare Exhibitor's badge held on with a bulldog clip!

Cheers, Dave.

I'm glad to see that the fiddle yard now has an end on it, and is a bit less suicidal!

I seem to remember at Exeter last year, all that was preventing a nosedive off the end was a spare Exhibitor's badge held on with a bulldog clip!

Cheers, Dave.

Yes, there was only a badge stopping runaways, which scared me stiff

I'm glad there's something fairly solid to stop me driving stuff off the end!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

A big thanks to Simon for helping me play trains this weekend and thanks to the R&DMRC for once putting on a good Railex show.

Also thanks to all whom came by to have a look at Canute Road Quay and made many positive comments.

Even the honourary landlord of the Waterloo Tavern popped by, which was most welcome, aka Ian aka Olddudders, of this parish, whose great suggestion it was to add, via this thread, a public house to the scene!

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A big thanks to Simon for helping me play trains this weekend and thanks to the R&DMRS for once putting on a good Railex show.

Also thanks to all whom came by to have a look at Canute Road Quay and made many positive comments.

Even the honourable landlord of the Waterloo Tavern popped by, which was most welcome, aka Ian aka Olddudders, of this parish, whoose great suggestion it was to add, via this thread, a public house to the scene!

Too generous by half, Graham. Having ideas is easy, putting them into successful practice quite another matter. The layout looked and worked very well today.
  • Like 1

A big thanks to Simon for helping me play trains this weekend and thanks to the R&DMRS for once putting on a good Railex show.

Even the honourary landlord of the Waterloo Tavern popped by, which was most welcome, aka Ian aka Olddudders, of this parish, whose great suggestion it was to add, via this thread, a public house to the scene!

No problem Muz, it was a very enjoyable weekend despite the heat!

The layout looked great, I do like the new lighting strips and the P Class & Andrew Barclays ran extremely well (although the USA Tanks didn't put a foot wrong either). So overall, the layout looked great and worked great, I'm looking forward to the next one!

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A few more pictures of Canute Road Quay at Railex last weekend.

Firstly a view of the set up and presentation

post-243-0-27170900-1527581521_thumb.jpg

A of couple of views of Simon at the controls keeping the visitors entertained

post-243-0-29911800-1527581551_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-54695800-1527581562_thumb.jpg

A few of the visitors attending from Devon, some of whom took longer to arrive than others, so am I told..

post-243-0-02053100-1527581540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

This coming Saturday, 7th July, sees Canute Road Quay attending the Beaconsfield Model Railway Club's one day exhibition.

The Beaconsfield MRC exhibition is being held at the The Beaconsfield School, Wattleton Road, Beaconsfield, HP9 1SL and is open between 10.30 and 5pm . The venue is conveniently only 5 mins of Junction 2 of the M40.

If you are planning a visit to this pleasant show, please make sure you come by Canute Road Quay and say hello. see www.canuteroadquay.com  for more details

post-243-0-77349700-1530525807_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Muz...... that's a great pic there mate!!

I cant take the credit (for the picture ); it's courtesy of that nice Chris Nevard (and Model Rail) 

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Likewise Colin, was good to meet and chat at the Beaconsfield show.

Despite the heat the layout performed well, I was pleased with the positive comments from visitors, and a special thanks to Dave F of the High Wycombe and District MRS for his help operating at the show.

• Like 1