Dapol Class 22

DLPG

That looks quite nice - subtle as opposed to the rather brutal state we saw on many of them (and I do hope the Chinese don't take it as a signal to carry-on using oversize numbers). BTW wouldn't the weathered version be a Kernow exclusive?

Your probably right about it being a Kernow exclusive. The weathering has been deliberately kept relatively simplistic in order for it to stand a good chance of being copied to a high standard.... they seem to have done an exceptional job with the weathered wagons so I have high hopes that this too will come out well.

M

I'm with Mike - that does look the part. I do hope the original mistakes with the livery beneath the weathering aren't copied though, the oversized numbers aside, the 'skirting' behind the buffers should be green not red, and the cab roof should be green, with the grey starting on the first 'removable' panel ;) .

That particular photo does show very well how Dapol have captured the front end, the more I look at it the more I like it, it's also making my thoughts turn to the D6xxs that Kernow have comissioned.

• RMweb Gold

I'm with Mike - that does look the part. I do hope the original mistakes with the livery beneath the weathering aren't copied though, the oversized numbers aside, the 'skirting' behind the buffers should be green not red, and the cab roof should be green, with the grey starting on the first 'removable' panel ;) .

That particular photo does show very well how Dapol have captured the front end, the more I look at it the more I like it, it's also making my thoughts turn to the D6xxs that Kernow have comissioned.

If the latter turn out as well as this (assuming also that it runs as well as it looks) my order for 2 x D6XX that has been in since the final versions were announced will not have been in vain! I have a sort of affinity for them as D601 was the first mainline diesel loco I ever saw, and it was pulling a train (the Up 'Postal', at St Budeaux - along time ago) at the time. And I think Chris Trerice - who is putting a lot of effort into his commissioned models - deserves our support in his venture.

• Like 2

Well Mike I'm certainly thinking along the same lines, more so now than previously, partly because my main period of interest was just after the D6xx's had gone but has now slipped back a few years, and partly because the photo of the D63xx linked from Mercig Studios post just looks so 'right', not to mention encouraging.

I'm now considering cancelling my pre-order with another company for a Bachmann 85 and diverting the funds to a Kernow NBL beauty instead, possibly even two ;)

• Like 1

Looking at the detail shots on Mercigs website - there appears to be quite a mismatch between the wheels and the bogie sideframes - the axleboxes don't register with the centre of the wheels - they look too low down to me - there isn't enough 'wheel' showing below the bogie sideframes. Is this a pre -production glitch ?

tfn

Jon

Looking at the detail shots on Mercigs website - there appears to be quite a mismatch between the wheels and the bogie sideframes - the axleboxes don't register with the centre of the wheels - they look too low down to me - there isn't enough 'wheel' showing below the bogie sideframes. Is this a pre -production glitch ?

tfn

Jon

Hmmm - I was thinking from the angle of those Mercigs shots, that the loco looks a tad low on its bogies. Whenever I look at a shot of the prototype I'm struck by how they look to be almost on 'tippy toes' - maybe a result of the short body. I wonder if removing some of the valance over the bogies will change the look of the model ?

STEVE

I'm not too hot on the real locos but at the inner ends of the bogies are boxes ( are they sand boxes?) ... on prototype photos the bottoms of these boxes line up with the underside of the fuel tank - whereas on the model they sit higher up than the fuel tank . it looks as though the bogie sideframes need lifting , and the loco itself to match - but would that make the buffer height wrong. If the model shown has its buffers at the right height then something more must be wrong.

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I'm not too hot on the real locos but at the inner ends of the bogies are boxes ( are they sand boxes?) ... on prototype photos the bottoms of these boxes line up with the underside of the fuel tank - whereas on the model they sit higher up than the fuel tank . it looks as though the bogie sideframes need lifting , and the loco itself to match - but would that make the buffer height wrong. If the model shown has its buffers at the right height then something more must be wrong.

tfn

Jon

I placed a pre-release order for a D6300 / Class 22 just approaching 2 years ago and am still waiting, not a problem as there were some issues with losing the original drawings and presumably their back-ups. Dapol have recently announced further 'OO' Models: I think that Dapol need to learn to walk before they run, there is so much at stake with the D6300 (and it’s successors) that they can’t afford not to get it 100% right, first time.

• Like 2

That looks quite nice - subtle as opposed to the rather brutal state we saw on many of them

I agree, I really like the finish as it looks like a working loco in reasonable order rather than something being run into the ground to save the scrap-merchant time. ;)

I hope that the N gauge version (when it finally appears) gets similar treatment.

It worries me when pre-production models are wrong. Surely these should be absolutely bang-on? I gather that for some pre-production samples good quality kits have been used. Of course we are now in the realms of such rare and unloved prototypes that nobody has thought it worth making a kit of!!

Ed

• RMweb Premium

It worries me when pre-production models are wrong. Surely these should be absolutely bang-on? I gather that for some pre-production samples good quality kits have been used. Of course we are now in the realms of such rare and unloved prototypes that nobody has thought it worth making a kit of!!

Ed

I also notice the lack of comment from Dapoldave on this thread although he has commented on the Western Thread.

• Like 1

I gather that for some pre-production samples good quality kits have been used.

Sorry Ed, that makes no sense at all. If it's an existing kit by someone else, it can't qualify as a 'pre production sample' by any sense of the words that I understand. Bachmann have certainly used kits, that's no secret, but purely to give a tangible impression of a projected model and/or livery, not as 'pre-production' models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget a lot of railway modellers have waited all their life for a RTR class 22laugh.gif

With all the price hikes in the last year or two £125 seems to be the average RRP nowadays, from the likes of Heljan, Hornby and now Dapol, which Is rather scary, only Bachmann seeming to keep below the £100 mark at the moment.

I managed to see the model of D6319 at Southampton last weekend and although the basic shape looks good, theirs are a lot of fundamental errors which need correcting. For which I will let others remark about, if they so wishbiggrin.gif.

There has been an awful lot of comment and this thread about the accuracy of the model throughout its development and Dapol has consistently said they valued input to improve the model's accuracy. Are you now suggesting that even so there are still "fundamental", implying serious or major, errors? Did you comment on them at the time the pictures of the pre-pro version appeared so there was still time for Dapol to correct them if they could? Looking at the thread, others seem to think it's a good representation. I'm certainly no expert but it does look like a Class 22, which is what matters to me. I'm sure you don't mean it, but its sounds rather smug to say "I know what's wrong but not telling you" and it does noone any favours when we all want to model to be as accurate as possible.

Hi guys,

to clarify the models on display.

these were first EP or 'first shots' from the tooling that i picked up last week when in China.

they do not have all the detail you would expect from a finished model as this is added in the second stage (2nd EP stage) the immediately preceeds production.

So all the bogie pipes, rivets etc will come in about a month.

in fact the paint jobs were created from scratch whilst over there in 2 days for all those colours, and to be honest for that length of time taken i didnt really care about the final livery application as i just wanted something green on the stand. sorry.

As for the milky glazing? easy answer, once second EP stage proceeds then the tool is polished to create clear glazing. :)

so please bear all this in mind when you see pictures of the model either here or on our web site on monday.

the best is yet to come.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Ltd

Dapoldave's most recent post (#131 quoted above) from November certainly implies further changes, but presumably not fundamental ones, are still to be made. Hopefully he will have some positive news on the final version, both looks and availability, soon.

As to the weathered version, mercig studios effort looks very good. I only need and can afford one, so now I have a dilemna - buy a pristine one from the first batch or wait for an undetermined period for the weathered one...

• Like 1

I hope that the N gauge version (when it finally appears) gets similar treatment.

Has anyone seen a definitive statement from Dapol that the 22 will be produced in N as well as OO ? I hope I'm wrong, but I can't recall any announcement.

Has anyone seen a definitive statement from Dapol that the 22 will be produced in N as well as OO ? I hope I'm wrong, but I can't recall any announcement.

It was back in 2008 when the project was first announced IIRC. Last time I asked I was told that the N gauge version would follow the 00 one at some point. Of course I don't know if plans have changed since then. Given Dapol's new policy of keeping things under wraps until they are imminent, I suspect that we will probably only find out for sure quite close to release.

It was back in 2008 when the project was first announced IIRC. Last time I asked I was told that the N gauge version would follow the 00 one at some point. Of course I don't know if plans have changed since then. Given Dapol's new policy of keeping things under wraps until they are imminent, I suspect that we will probably only find out for sure quite close to release.

I hope you're right :) But last time I asked on the Dapol stand at the N Gauge Show (2009 IIRC) I was told it definitely wouldn't be produced in N - hence the question has anyone seen it in writing. Dapol have been quite open about the Western - OO & N, but not the 22

STEVE