RMweb

Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi 10800,

Thanks for the mail.

If i can find a plain green version for the second run that matches the details on our model i will definitely do one of those, however the disc version 22 will be about a year or so away as we have to design that.

Luckily we have the original works drawings for the front, but the roof and bodyside grilles, like the current one may prove problematical.

Oh, wheres a time machine and a laser scanner when you want one :locomotive:

cheers

Dave

• Like 4

Great news about the disc version! Sincere best wishes for success in them both as its a class that has been anxiously waited for a long time, not unlike the Clayton class 17, although I am sure the similarities will end there.

never mind the N gauge- what about an O gauge version that would complement all the Hymeks and (soon) Westerns out there.

• Like 1

Ye ha!

So thats D6320 and D6331 for Abbotswood then - the Gloucester twins of the late 60's early 70s. What price Lister name plates for D6320? Has anyone got a picture of that unofficial name please?

Phil

Phil, did you get my PM...? ;)

Phew, I'm surprised that you haven't been carried out screaming Dave... Great news that all's ready to go. I originally ordered a plain green one as the first Class 22 I saw as a kid was plain green and pasing through Luxulyan station as a light engine. Anyway, looks like it's going to be small yelow panels which will fit the period of my layout better. Wonder if it will arrive in time for Christmas...

Keith

Off original topic but still concerning the class 22!

IF you ever ventured into 0 scale (Dapol Dave), I think that if it were priced along the lines of Heljan(RTR)/JLTRT(Kits), you could have quite a winner with the class 22 BUT could you take on the above two companies with your version of a 'Western'? Tough call, even though it would almost certainly be better/more accurate etc!

FWIW, I'd probably buy at least three and sell on all my 4mm hydraulics!

Cheers,

John E.

Looking at O gauge locomotives, what really strikes me ,(given that i have done some homework on this gauge in the past with my factory) is the retail prices.

Heck i couldnt honestly see a Western or a 22 at anything over £299.95 as i know how much profit there is in them at the current 2 motor spec.

Basically who knows what we are doing next? ok, i do, but i'm not telling.

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

Best keep it to yourself for a while Dave, I think your poor old grey cells (and your ticker!) could no doubt do with a rest ;). Mind you there's no harm in some of us guessing is there?

Looking forward to seeing the fully decorated 22s once they arrive anyway, I'll be planning most of my future purchases around these little beauties, and I'm already thinking about what can be done to turn one into an example from the later D6333 - D6357 batch! Not surprisingly, I'm starting to get twitchy about the D6xxs too.... :sungum:

Looking at O gauge locomotives, what really strikes me ,(given that i have done some homework on this gauge in the past with my factory) is the retail prices.

Heck i couldnt honestly see a Western or a 22 at anything over £299.95 as i know how much profit there is in them at the current 2 motor spec.

Basically who knows what we are doing next? ok, i do, but i'm not telling.

cheers

Dave

Well, North British went bust after they finished the production run of the Class 22s, so if you want to be totally prototypically accurate...............

:scratchhead: :butcher:

Only joking (I hope)

I know I'm a bit late in this reply...

6326 was one of the later repaints with the number below the BR sign see below:

Southall North British

I'm just hoping for Dapol's sake that they haven't modelled the loco in the earlier style:

D6328_Didcot_APR-69

They do state that the numbers are the later version so hopefully for them they have got it right.

Please note that this isn't a complaint (I can renumber/redo the BR sign which ever version they produce). I feel Dapol have put a considerable amount of effort into making this loco and would hate for them to be critised needlessly.

Guest oldlugger

The Hornby Magazine will be showing a preview picture of a production sample of the Dapol class 22 later today (on Facebook). There's also a review of it in their next magazine.

Simon

More on cab fronts:

D6322 appear on the cover of Traction #90, April 2002

At the boiler end, it has a normal cab front for the 6314-32 series (no eyebrow vents), except for the feature in the bottom left corner.

This appears to be a square block similar to those fitted to 6334-57 for lamp bracket mounting.

On the right hand corner, 6322 has a square blanking plate with rounded corners, covering the hole where the lamp for the headcode disc was.

To the right of this is a vertical feature. To speculate this could be a small grab handle, or there may be a hole behind to form a crude vent.

On 6332 (non boiler end) the feature is absent from right hand corner - there is a horizontal panel join here so it's had a new corner fitted.

The curved strips under the inner ends of the headcode boxes - these may be stops (and clips) for the 2 piece nose doors.

Those horizontal handrails above the HCB's - moved from a vertical (or near vertical),position at build: the position varies with loco!

6322 and 6332 have them at the outside, whilst 6328 they are further in.

Is anyone aware of a photo of the other end of 6322?

D6323

Both photos are of a down train, and thus of the same cab; at Callington the buffer stops are behind the photographer.

On a 22 the headcode boxes do not protrude much, thus a hole must be cut in the front for the rollers and mechanism to fit in.

6323 must have had the holes made, then blanked over. I would think that it has kept it's single leaf doors and their fittings.

Laira Open Day 1970 - I was there (aged 2!). Does anyone know which 22's were present? (the leaflet states one was in road 6, the main overhaul shed)

Paul

26-09-1970 Laira Open Day

Bath Road Depot D6308,D6327,D6348 and D6349.

Newton Abbot Depot D6334 and D6339

Laira Open Day D6307,D6318 and D6319

Exeter SP D6330

Bath Road Depot evening the above four with the addition of D6354

Noted a green one at Liskeard with part number missing possibly D6323

Hope this helps

Tom B.

I do rather fancy the idea of an 0 gauge minimum space layout based on the Hemyock branch. A class 22, a few 6 wheel milk tanks and maybe the one passenger coach (did the diesels work passenger trains on this line?) could really tempt me away from 00.

Ed

I do rather fancy the idea of an 0 gauge minimum space layout based on the Hemyock branch. A class 22, a few 6 wheel milk tanks and maybe the one passenger coach (did the diesels work passenger trains on this line?) could really tempt me away from 00.

Ed

That sounds like a great idea Ed. I'm pretty sure that the diesels didn't work passenger services on the Hemyock branch, (but nothing to stop you using some modellers 'licence' !).

Cheers

Steve

I'm pretty sure that the diesels didn't work passenger services on the Hemyock branch, (but nothing to stop you using some modellers 'licence' !).

Or look on it as an opportunity to add a 14xx to your roster. Variety is the spice of life. :)

• RMweb Gold

David Cable's book "Hydraulics in the West" has a photo of D6334 in 1960, plain green, with headcode boxes on one end (but this might have been a repair, and the other end isn't visible).

[edit to correct author's name and book title]

Edited by D9020 Nimbus