RMweb

Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Premium

... that a deposit had been left by me for 'D' and 'E' .

I can't believe that you haven't worked this out already, but let's call a spade a spade.

Just because a deposit is paid to a retailer, it doesn't necessarily follow that the money immediately finds its way to the model manufacturer.

(My comment is wholly hypothetical, and should not be taken as referring to any specific retailer).

I would simply observe that it is common wholesale practice for stock to be supplied only to retailers with cleared accounts.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 4

if your converting it to P4, I assume it wont be running on particularly sharp curves - so have you considered moving the bogie sideframes up to line up with the wheels correctly - while the model is apart? Two quick cuts with a razor saw per bogie - and re-attach with a little block of plasticard. It makes the stance of the model look miles better - and would look even better with closer to scale wheels.

I've had a quick search in the thread and found several mentions of this bogie frame height issue. Has anyone made such a change? Any photos to share with us? Can anyone point to a useful prototype photo that shows the frame height relative to the body, tanks etc?

Nick

edit: answering one of my own questions, this photo shows the prototype from a suitable angle.

Edited by buffalo

Hi

Thanks for that ,what a dimbo i am not seeing that the skirt runs along the side ......must learn more about this class of loco!..D-..must do better!.

Darren

• Like 1

Perhaps some undecorated ones could be produced so we can paint them in whatever livery we like be it genuine or fake!

I have had trouble finding a class 22 (my fault I didn't pre order) but I eventually found a trader at a show with a few very recently.

However can't get mine working on DCC nor the replacement one I swapped with the dealer but didnt want a refund as they are scarce, so I am hoping a change of decoder manufactuere will reslove the issue... fingers crossed.

Ian

Just to recap on my experience with this. After I'd sorted out the pickup issues, I first tried the Bachmann 36-554 21 pin decoder. The model ran fine but only one of the cab lights worked as they are separately switched and need a decoder with more functions. I then used the TCS EU621 decoder and everything worked just fine after I'd remapped the function key for the 'other' cab light. This was necessary because I've got the Gaugemaster Prodigy 2 controller which has momentary action on the F2 key. When the second model arrived (which also had pickup issues), I fitted the same TCS decoder. I now have both locos double heading a china clay train and they run just fine. If your model runs OK on analogue DC, but not on DCC I'd have thought that you've got a decoder/controller issue. My understanding of the blanking plug is that it sends the track current straight to the motor although in this model there are a number of components on the blanking plug.

BTW, has anyone tried the Howes sound decoder? I think you only get the small round speaker with this as standard which is OK, but if my experience with the Class 47 sound decoder is the same then it's well worth changing to the larger one. It's only a couple of easily soldered wires. I used the Loksound 40mmx20mm with its reflex enclosure and it's much beefier. I've moved the video to the sound files section as thought a class 47 was rather off topic, sorry..

Cheers

Keith

Edited by skin_2

• RMweb Gold

Keith

I have tested the decoder on a ESU decoder test rig and all funciotns worked fine including motor. I tested the loco on the layout using Digitrax system but no motion or functions worked.

I then tested the lco on a separate test track with a completely different Digitrax comman station then tried to read the settings via laptop and Sprog but still no joy. I have yet to get an alternative make of decoder to try that.

I did look at ordering a Howes Loksound decoder but depsite their website showing them in stock, it showed them as out of stock when I got part way through ordering, so left it there.

Will see if I can get an alternative decoder this weekendto see if I get any joy otherwise might strip out the circuit board and hard wire everything in as I know the motor works.

Generally not had much luck with Dapol stuff upon fitting decoders although the very recent Dapol N scale purchases such as the bublecars and the Childrens livery class 66 have been fine.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

Perhaps worth logging progress with D6320 for Abbotswood. Headcodes installed - 8.50 and 9Z44 , thanks for that Trevor - using the Precision lables 3.5mm back lit digits with a dab of varnish to hold them in place - with you on that Geoff

Loksound v4.0 chip with speaker as recommended by Dapol dave also installed - 10/10 for dcc friendliness , cheers Dave. Sound file is different to any other hydraulic but will I am sure get even better when that MAN v12 is brought back to life. Dont be put off if cab interiors appear difficult initially to remove - just gently ease the body sides away from the cab interiors and then extract inwards - easy really!

WIll put up some video next time the layout is up

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I have made a start on compiling some Data (see attached file) on the Prototype D63xx / Class 22, it's not complete and will no doubt contain a few errors. In order not to bog this thread down with updates, could you please PM any errors or omissions.

If you think other fields should be added to the data then please let me know.

I would like to thank all who have made a contribution to this thread, in particular Rugd22 and Trevor H.

Edit - Allocations now added to file

D63xx.pdf

Edited by Pannier Tank
  • Like 4

Question for Dave....

The old Lima class 30/31 model covered as many bases as they could by having serveral different body and nose mold parts which could be put together to form the body mold, where as AFAIK the Heljan class 23 is just one mold that will be modified over time to cover the different styles. If your 22 model is following the Heljan class 23 route, are you planning on doing a model of D6331 in green with full yellows before the mold is modified to do a different set of 22s? Only D6331 and D6312 (present mold only correct for D6331) carried this version of livery.

If you do, expect bigger than ususal sales due to rareity!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by D605Eagle

Hi Jim,

Easy one to answer ,albeit indirectly.

The 22 tooling allows Dapol, at will, to chance the roof, the sides and nose ends at any time we choose ( providing we have designed the detail to go on the slides for those other variants), and mix and match, and change back to original configuration at anytime and how ever anytimes we choose.

I planned well ahead on this one and realised this was the easiest, less expensive route, in the long run.

This allows us, as we always use hard steel tools, to be still making class 22 models in 40 years time.

Cheers

Dave ( from Nuremburg where it was minus 15 last night) ;-)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jim,

The 22 tooling allows Dapol, at will, to chance the roof, the sides and nose ends at any time we choose ( providing we have designed the detail to go on the slides for those other variants), and mix and match, and change back to original configuration at anytime and how ever anytimes we choose.

I planned well ahead on this one and realised this was the easiest, less expensive route, in the long run.

This allows us, as we always use hard steel tools, to be still making class 22 models in 40 years time.

Cheers

Dave,

Congratulations on the foresight and thanks for the extra investment.

I will await, (impatiently), the disc headcoded version.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start on a pinned thread in the diesel-hydraulic group with class 22 detail variation.

It will take time to complete - but will post here as it evolves.

First information is on liveries, introduction and withdrawal dates, when and where scrapped.

Please let me know if you find inaccuracies (with evidence) and let me know by PM or posting in the detail thread rather than clutter up this one.

cheers.

Neil

Link here

Edited by Downendian

Hi Jim,

Cheers

Thankyou Dave, quick reply and informative too! I await a green 22 with full yellows with baited breath.,.....:lol: