Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

I've been drumming away with a couple of bits today, nothing worth reporting really, just a tidy up and a tinkering.

I did, however, get the next batch of items out, before being parceled up ready for their trip home.

You've already seen the Royal Mail GUV, well here are another couple of Cargowaggons.

Another Blue Circle Yellow one which I've tried to make slightly different to its predecessor, a little more dirt in places, although plenty of white streaking down the bodyside.

post-14906-0-12638800-1486926735_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-88019800-1486926742_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-18332800-1486926750_thumb.jpg

The next one was another grey one. This one has been sat here as I forgot to take it to Pontefract with me, but I decided to re-visit it once I found out that the owner was using the Cargowaggons for a Cement depot, and I've added some cement type textures and streaks to it, in keeping with the yellow ones.

post-14906-0-43718600-1486926912_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-82426600-1486926920_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-47083600-1486926943_thumb.jpg

I have a cute little J71 that is going to be treated to a Zimo sound decoder and speaker over the next week, and a couple of other little jobs to be getting on with as well.

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

Superb work again, words are just not enough.

Looking forward to getting them back with the RM GUV next week.

The RM GUV will be getting shown off at Model Rail Glasgow at the end of the month. So if anyone is going and wants to see it in the flesh it will be on stand Number C19 - Mount Moor.

Regards

Chris

When I lived and worked in Texas I used to drive SW from Houston down Highway 59 to get away at weekends.  Alongside the freeway the old tracks of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad (a division of the Southern Pacific) were used to store older gondolas, box cars and even more modern freight cars.  The latter were actually used for storing their contents, mostly plastic pellets, until they were needed.  Your nicely weathered cars reminded me of this.  Happy memories!

I used to wonder how a locomotive got down the track to retrieve the cars, it was so overgrown.  Maybe they didn't and they are still there!

No, nowt done today, a trip out with Mrs Jinty and a nice relax. Full of a cough and cold at the moment too, but having a nice day out down the A5, stopped in Llangollen (well it'd be rude not to), had a relaxed walk around town, had a brew on the cafe in the coach on the platform, then watched the 51xx getting itself swapped to the other end ready to take the next service out.

There is just something about Swindon's engines that is pure functionality coupled with beauty, and this loco is a prime example.

5199 running round at Llangollen

post-14906-0-21862600-1487525726_thumb.jpg

Once we'd seen her depart, we wandered back up the A5 to Carrog, where we had a lovely lunch in the The Grouse Inn, then a nice trundle back over the mountains.

All now, feet up, slippers on and relaxing before the week ahead!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 6

That sounds like the perfect day out mate, Good Brew, Good Food, Good inspiration, I wish I could get my missis to go ANYWARE near a Railway, she says she has enough of it at home, (cant think what she's talking about) :O

No, nowt done today, a trip out with Mrs Jinty and a nice relax. Full of a cough and cold at the moment too, but having a nice day out down the A5, stopped in Llangollen (well it'd be rude not to), had a relaxed walk around town, had a brew on the cafe in the coach on the platform, then watched the 51xx getting itself swapped to the other end ready to take the next service out.

There is just something about Swindon's engines that is pure functionality coupled with beauty, and this loco is a prime example.

5199 running round at Llangollen

attachicon.gif51xx.jpg

Once we'd seen her depart, we wandered back up the A5 to Carrog, where we had a lovely lunch in the The Grouse Inn, then a nice trundle back over the mountains.

All now, feet up, slippers on and relaxing before the week ahead!!!

Jinty ;)

I would have been there too had I not had to call out the gas men at 09.30am. No hot water....No gas pressure.  A lost day but it was good to see your picture. I will have to visit during the week while trains are running.

5199 - in 1948 assigned to 84E Tyseley, so it would be reasonable to assume I travelled behind her on the North Warwickshire Line, perhaps several times.  I really must stop some time in Llangollen but I always seem to be driving through at some early or late hour so as to miss the M5/M6 mayhem.  Same reason for not stopping at Oswestry's Cambrian Museum (but the other reason is that their car park is always full as they rent out the spaces during the week).

Also a recommendation for the Grouse Inn.  Thank you!  Hope you fight off that cold.

There's a pub near Rhuallt hill that I used to visit from time to time, dud cracking good, and had decent beer too - it might be in Tremeirchion, but I'm not sure - it's 30-odd years ago, so it's probably no longer a helpful recommendation....

Best

Simon

• Like 1

There's a pub near Rhuallt hill that I used to visit from time to time, dud cracking good, and had decent beer too - it might be in Tremeirchion, but I'm not sure - it's 30-odd years ago, so it's probably no longer a helpful recommendation....

Best

Simon

Well it'd be either the White House (no longer a pub and restraunt) in Rhuallt, the Salusbury Arms in Tremerchion or the Farmers Arms on the Wyen towards Trefnant.

All of which were my regular watering holes in my miss spent youth!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

How did the smellchequer change "did cracking food" to "dud cracking good". Daft!

I think that it was probably the White House. About 2 miles south of the (old) main road?

Best

Simon

Nah, the White House is on the old main road, it would of been the Salusbury Arms in Tremerchion then.

Jinty ;)

Good evening all.

A busy day but not much to show for it.

Firstly I have wrestled with this little J71 for my NE friends and although I've now got it running quite reasonable, I think the chassis is slightly out of true in some way.

I was asked to fit it with sound, which I've done, and after fitting it with a Zimo MX 645 with Paul Chetter's generic North Eastern 2-cyl sound and a J72 whistle, it is running quite reasonable now. I've also fitted it with a 3000uf Capacitor unit made up of 3 x 100uf capacitors, but it still doesn't give it enough to jump the dead bits. Hence the little pause/push in the video below..........................................

I will re-address the chassis this week and see if I can get it back into line.

Another project I've had on the go is the Heljan class 37/0 conversion.

I've now fitted both buffer beams, I just need to fit all the other little brass and plastic pieces before painting the beams.

There is still lots to do on the body yet, the horn grilles, the boiler steps to fill, the high intensity light to fit and boiler blanking plate as well. So plenty to be doing, which is where I need to also make up the etched steps for the bogies, refit some springs and bits and bobs and tidy the side frames up more.

post-14906-0-97258100-1488151242_thumb.jpg

Today though I've fitted the 8ohm 10w speaker into the tanks permanently and mainly sealed the rear of the speaker up with some plastikard, which doubles up as a base for the decoder and relevant wiring. I have fitted  Zimo MX696V decoder (hard wired) into the loco (which is loaded with Paul Chetter's Protodrive sound file), a couple of pieces of vero board and wired in the decoder to the pick-ups and two motors. I coupled up the speakers and gave it a run to see how it was sounding.

Here is a picture of the installation.............

post-14906-0-77948500-1488151250_thumb.jpg

And here is a video of how it sounds.

Volume is set quite down a bit as there is some sound leak from back to front of the speaker, but some Bluetac will sort that out in the couple of places.

I also need to learn how to drive it as the Protodrive file has many features that optimise the driving rather well, but it's understanding it all. This example was just a couple of fresh 'out of the box' runs!!

I'm quite pleased with the sound

I'll get the coupling mountings and the pipework fitted to the buffer beam next I think.

Jinty ;)

• Like 10

Well it doesn't seem like much of a post or a move forward, but it's a major achievement for me!!!!

I've never been able to airbrush acrylic paints before, I've just not got on with them at all, and it's been a bit of a bug bear for me, as although I do the main colours on my projects with cellulose paint, I wanted to be able to airbrush acrylics for the other little weathering bits and bobs, toning, highlighting, shadowing, etc, to finish the models off.

I recently started watching some demonstration videos on YouTube for the Ammo MIG products which are both enamel and acrylic paints, washes, etc.

So I thought I'd try once more with the Ammo MIG acrylic paints.

I selected half a dozen colours off that famous auction site and they came today, so armed with an old bottle of Humbrol Acrylic Thinners as a cleaner, I set about cleaning one of my gravity fed airbrushes out and giving it a much needed service. Once it was clean and tested wit the Humbrol Thinners I shook one of the Ammo MIG bottles and gave it a good shaking to mix it (there is a small steel ball inside to assist). I then squirted some paint straight from the bottle into the cup of the airbrush and followed the directions off the YouTube video by giving light and even coats of a yellowy colour I'd picked over a couple of plastic spoon backs......................................

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:  :imsohappy:

By going gently with the airbrush and by letting just air from the airbrush dry the applied coats before adding another coat, I was, reasonably quickly, able to build up a reasonable finish (well to my acrylic standards!).  I tried again with a browny colour and I got a similar result, so I'm very pleased as I think with some more practice I'll be able to undertake some more detailed weathering and toning of my projects, hopefully giving me another dimension to my weathering techniques.

The two spoons!!!

post-14906-0-57268100-1488227125_thumb.jpg

Looking back on my previous experiences with acrylics, I think maybe Humbrol wasn't the paint to use, as I believe that all these different acrylics have different properties and they are not all true acrylics.

Hopefully I'll have something more interesting to show you soon.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've not been busy on here have I? All the way down onto page 3!!!!

Anyway, as mentioned on another thread (Tove's I think), I've been messing about with a Parkside 16t mineral and some of the AMMO MIG Chipping fluid and my new found spraying ability with Acrylics, MIG washes and watching a few videos on the methods.

I just put the body together in its basic form and started from there, I've tried quite a few different processes and made a few c@ck ups along the way, like the excess scratching actually into the plastic sides, but all that said and done, I'm starting to get the hang of it. ~Instead of the Enamel Thinners that was recommended, I've used IPA of which I've got a plentiful supply. The results seem to be the same as what I've seen on YouTube anyway.

Here are a few pictures of progress, again, I'm not at all happy with it, but it was a test bed, which will be in a passing train so no close up pictures!!!!  :O  :mail:

post-14906-0-23615800-1489868216_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-67750400-1489868223_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-19629600-1489868231_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-12794900-1489868240_thumb.jpg

I've had a few new additions, including the Powsides 20t Tank wagon kits which will form the Ammonia train for Talyllyn.

More very soon

Jinty ;)

• Like 7