Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

• RMweb Gold

Looking nice Jinty,

My spell checker seems to be developing an LMS feel, as its stopped changing you to Minty!   Those wagon bodies look superb - I'm going to have invite myself for a days tuition on all this weathering lark, it looses me completely at the moment ... have to drop off that package and see if I can watch the master at work ;)

Keep 'em coming mate, very inspirational as ever.

Rich

Fantastic Jint's, I love the effect you've created, many years ago, (well 2009 to be precise) I did some MFA and MEA'a and went along the tops on a couple with a Stanley Knife, (other makes available) and gave the impression of being caught by the grappling loader.

Keep up the excellent work and pics mate, truly inspirational as Rich said.

Here are a few pictures of progress, again, I'm not at all happy with it, but it was a test bed, which will be in a passing train so no close up pictures!!!! :O :mail:

attachicon.gifWB 107.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 108.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 109.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 110.jpg

I've had a few new additions, including the Powsides 20t Tank wagon kits which will form the Ammonia train for Talyllyn.

More very soon

Jinty ;)

Hi David,

I cannot believe your not happy with what you have achieved above, I would be more than happy if I could produce something half as good. Looks the business to me.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Hi David,

I cannot believe you cannot be happy with what you have achieved above, I would be more than happy if I could produce something half as good. Looks the business to me.

Martyn.

Thanks Guys for the kind words.

Martyn I was referring to the mistakes I'd made in scratching the plastic surface of the model, the effects I'd tried to create, I'm pleased with, although I'd probably not worded it very well! Thank you for your kind comments, they are appreciated.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Looking good Jint`s,

I can see why your not too happy with a couple of spot`s,mainly the right hand side.

It`s a bit to easy to get carried away,so i stop a take a look a few times,and i also only usally work in one direction. (up & down) And for specific area`s or scratches i use the end of a bamboo BBQ skewer,much in the same way i`d use a pencil.

I`m intrigued by the IPA,i have you used it on the wagon it`s self,as that will soften the plastic to a point where you can scratch the surface.

keep`em coming Jint`s......

Brian.

• Like 1

I`m intrigued by the IPA,i have you used it on the wagon it`s self,as that will soften the plastic to a point where you can scratch the surface.

Hi Brian,

I've used the IPA instead of an enamel thinners. After the chipping fluid is airbrushed on, once it is dry, I have then lightly airbrushed an 'engine grime' over the top, then used the IPA in downward strokes to remove most of it. Then I've used both the Pinnacle powders and some alternate rusty washes/streaking effects, etc. It's in these areas where I've gone a bit too heavy.

The scratches in the plastic were caused by an earlier c@ck up where I tried stripping it all back and used a bit of a ferocious brush to do so as the Expo paint stripper was next to useless!!! Next time I will invest in some Dettol!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Have you tried the Vallejo "Model Air" range of paints? I must admit I swear by them and do find I get some great results from them straight out of the bottle. I'd also heartily give a thumbs up to the their airbrush cleaner as well, even when it comes to cleaning other acrylics. their other acrylics work just as well when thinned with with Isopropyl Alchohol or better still their thinner (in fact their thinner seems to work well with Revell's and Tamiya's acrylics too).

The one thing I don't tend to do myself is blow air from the air brush to help dry out the acrylic paint after a pass. I do find that acrylics dry very quickly and as well as drying the paint on the model a quick pass of just air is drying paint around the airbrush nozzle too. But I'm lucky that my Iawata Studio compressor has two feeds so I do have a cheapie dual action airbrush to hand which I tend to use for blowing dust away on a model and as a source of blown air for drying if needs be, but i try not to use the brush I'm painting with to blow just air.

Edited by Nile_Griffith

Have you tried the Vallejo "Model Air" range of paints? I must admit I swear by them and do find I get some great results from them straight out of the bottle. I'd also heartily give a thumbs up to the their airbrush cleaner as well, even when it comes to cleaning other acrylics. their other acrylics work just as well when thinned with with Isopropyl Alchohol or better still their thinner (in fact their thinner seems to work well with Revell's and Tamiya's acrylics too).

The one thing I don't tend to do myself is blow air from the air brush to help dry out the acrylic paint after a pass. I do find that acrylics dry very quickly and as well as drying the paint on the model a quick pass of just air is drying paint around the airbrush nozzle too. But I'm lucky that my Iawata Studio compressor has two feeds so I do have a cheapie dual action airbrush to hand which I tend to use for blowing dust away on a model and as a source of blown air for drying if needs be, but i try not to use the brush I'm painting with to blow just air.

I've just received a selection of a dozen little bottles of Vallejo Air paints to try out from an on-line supplier, so now that I've tried the AMMO MIG paints and had some success, I will now try others.

I have been told that of the others to try, the Tamiya acrylics are 'lacquer based' and are not a true acrylic, although not sure of the meaning, I will give them a try too.

Thanks for your input

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

I've been admiring some of the videos others put on here, with titles, textual commentary, etc, so I've been playing around with some video editing software.

It's called Filmora and I've found it so easy to use that I've decided to buy the full version as it's not really that expensive, and there are lots more features in the full version.

I reworked the class 25/1 video by clipping it here and there (especially when the loco disappears into the tunnel for ages), adding a title and some comments, plus a 'The End' at the end!  I need some practice but I'm quite happy with my result, not quite Steven Spielberg just yet, but I do like the program.

Unfortunatly the software has a watermark with the free version, but you can see what a technical numpty like me has achieved in a few short minutes.

Right off to make a software purchase.

Jinty ;)

• Like 5

Some sort of editing suite is definitely a necessity. I spent hours (days even) editing mainline video material on an S-VHS editing machine but I am totally lost when it comes to digital editing on a PC. Are you on Windows 10?

Edited by coachmann

Some sort of editing suite is definitely a necessity. I spent hours (days even) editing mainline video material on an S-VHS editing machine but I am totally lost when it comes to digital editing on a PC. Are you on Windows 10?

Hi Coachman,

No I'm not one for change, I've been hanging onto Windows 7 for a while now! I did get quite upset when Microsoft were trying to con people into downloading 10 as a free upgrade and doing it sneakily, I nearly fell for it once.

I'm not very good at things like Photoshop or video editing, but this program is just so straight forward to use. I'm sure it should be compatible for Win10 though.

It maybe wasn't quite as reasonable as I'd originally thought, I'd forgotten the dreaded Vodka 'n Tonic!!!!

Jinty ;)

• 2 months later...

Been a while, all the way down on page 4!!!!!  :O

Anyway, do you all remember the class 60?

Well here it is, all finished as 60010 "Plynlimon" in Construction sector livery. I've used the excellent Railtec transfers and Shawplan etched plates.

Here are a few pictures with my new Nikon D3400 in full manual mode. I'm still getting used to it so be gentle.

post-14906-0-33544500-1495993735_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-58518100-1495993744_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-44352600-1495993755_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-50797800-1495993765_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-61317200-1495993776_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-69423000-1495993785_thumb.jpg

This loco is now FOR SALE, please PM me if you have any interest (It will be reasonable money!), it doesn't fit in with my 1970's depot layout any more, so kit has to go to fund my new shed (Brecon) at the bottom of my garden as the old shed has had it.

Jinty ;)

• Like 4

Been a while, all the way down on page 4!!!!!  :O

Anyway, do you all remember the class 60?

Well here it is, all finished as 60010 "Plynlimon" in Construction sector livery. I've used the excellent Railtec transfers and Shawplan etched plates.

Here are a few pictures with my new Nikon D3400 in full manual mode. I'm still getting used to it so be gentle.

attachicon.gifWB 117.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 118.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 119.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 120.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 121.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 122.jpg

This loco is now FOR SALE, please PM me if you have any interest (It will be reasonable money!), it doesn't fit in with my 1970's depot layout any more, so kit has to go to fund my new shed (Brecon) at the bottom of my garden as the old shed has had it.

Jinty ;)

Hi Jints, that looks a cracking job mate, I hope it sells quick for your Shed Funds.

The D3400 was that same Camera I bought a couple of Months back but it was far to technical for me, and I didn't want to buy all the Lenses, but your pics are superb.

Again, something else that has been through the WB.

Giles wipers fitted, a thicker and more representitive vacuum pipe and end fitted, ladders removed and taken from a pre-TOPS to a TOPS loco with Railtec transfers, and then weathered by me.

The 08 has the Paul Chetter (Version 2) sound file through one of my own speakers, and sounds superb.

This 08 is another that is available, just PM me if interested.

post-14906-0-39366000-1496077801_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-28212000-1496077811_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-36748200-1496077822_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-65586800-1496077832_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-52733800-1496077850_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-01464500-1496077862_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-89220700-1496077870_thumb.jpg

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

I might be interested David, but it would need re-numbering to either a Gateshead or Heaton allocation.

Regards

Chris

Sorry Chris, already gone!!!!

Another could be produced, but surely you have enough 08's!!!!

Mind you, most of them are in Wales!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

Sorry Chris, already gone!!!!

Another could be produced, but surely you have enough 08's!!!!

Mind you, most of them are in Wales!!!

Jinty ;)

Shame, but you can never have too many 08's.

I've another two coming from Dapol's next batch of releases, so I'll let you loose on them.

They must be due a transfer back to the NE via Doncaster hopefully!!!

Regards

Chris

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

As I've put in my Talyllyn thread, not a great deal done due to family commitments, etc.

But amongst some Heljan wagons in for a touch of weathering, I also have this Heljan class 25/1 in for work and weathering for its owner.

I have repainted the yellow panels in their entirety and brought them down to the bottom as they should be, added the coupling code stars and it just needs the top handrails replacing before I start the weathering process. I also replaced the upper, central lamp iron for a JLTRT one (more substantial) and I slightly countersunk the little hole in the roof by the fan at No1 end, and then filled it.

The owner fitted the numbering.

Here is a picture in sunlight. Whilst I'm still trying to get used to this new camera, as I'm setting it up in full manual mode, but not being very successful with it. This picture has turned out ok, but it took about 8 pictures to get it right!!!! I'll get there I'm sure with more practice.

post-14906-0-05384200-1500825609_thumb.jpg

More soon, including some 'lit' 03's and some Heljan wagons!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 9

As I've put in my Talyllyn thread, not a great deal done due to family commitments, etc.

But amongst some Heljan wagons in for a touch of weathering, I also have this Heljan class 25/1 in for work and weathering for its owner.

I have repainted the yellow panels in their entirety and brought them down to the bottom as they should be, added the coupling code stars and it just needs the top handrails replacing before I start the weathering process. I also replaced the upper, central lamp iron for a JLTRT one (more substantial) and I slightly countersunk the little hole in the roof by the fan at No1 end, and then filled it.

The owner fitted the numbering.

Here is a picture in sunlight. Whilst I'm still trying to get used to this new camera, as I'm setting it up in full manual mode, but not being very successful with it. This picture has turned out ok, but it took about 8 pictures to get it right!!!! I'll get there I'm sure with more practice.

attachicon.gifWB 130.jpg

More soon, including some 'lit' 03's and some Heljan wagons!!!

Jinty ;)

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the 25! Ah, now I shouldn't have said that... Looks better already Jints!!

JF