Jinty's WB for 7mm

Jintyman

Having a bit of a sort out, decided to get this little 08 finished an available for a new owner.

Proper sized vacuum pipes fitted, wipers fitted, weathered and then fitted with Paul Chetters sound file (version 2) and given a good old testing and a video done of the results.

post-14906-0-54438800-1505224697_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-82704100-1505224707_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-61485100-1505224719_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-32887700-1505224730_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-18401100-1505224744_thumb.jpg

And here is the video, please excuse the crappy video editing, I will get used to the system.

As mentioned this 08 is for sale, along with a couple of ESU V4 decoders both with GWR 2-cyl sound projects on them, PM me for details.

I'm also pottering with a JLTRT 12t BR Fruit van. Body painted and transfers, then some Testors, and the chassis almost finished.

Jinty ;)

• Like 8

Metal black?

The loco looks & sounds excellent.

It seems to me that with this level of "theatre", and particularly with the sound, the temptation to drive unrealistically quickly is dispelled. Coupled with the various chuffs, squeaks & clanks associated with coupling and uncoupling, even a simple run-around will take considerably longer than is typical for a model, indeed, it's likely that it will take more or less the same time as it would in reality, which is, I guess much of the objective.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond

Nice video but it shows how very shiny the backs of the wheels are from the camera's viewpoint. Can the backs be painted or do they need to be bare metal for the pickups?

Dave

Thanks.

I think that the video camera angle was slightly unfair in highlighting the back of the wheels. At a normal, slightly raised angle they are certainly not apparent. The other big factor is both the door and window in my garage face South, so sunlight protrudes directly in through those, which were directly behind the camera.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

A little bit of light relief after the stress of the last couple of weeks.

A JLTRT BR Plywood Ventilated Fruit Van (Dia: 1/233) Type H, finished in BR Bauxite with the excellent Railtec Transfers and fitted with Peartree Engineering 3-hole disc wheels.

These kits go together so well and the body is complete, so can be finished very quickly indeed. The resin is quite heavy and gives a good weight to the vehicle.

Just awaiting a trip to the model shop to pick up some 2mm brass bar to make up the tiebars as the plastic ones supplied are ok but one of them was broke!

post-14906-0-08278400-1505671122_thumb.jpg

It will be weathered in due course.

Jinty ;)

• Like 7

A little bit of light relief after the stress of the last couple of weeks.

A JLTRT BR Plywood Ventilated Fruit Van (Dia: 1/233) Type H, finished in BR Bauxite with the excellent Railtec Transfers and fitted with Peartree Engineering 3-hole disc wheels.

These kits go together so well and the body is complete, so can be finished very quickly indeed. The resin is quite heavy and gives a good weight to the vehicle.

Just awaiting a trip to the model shop to pick up some 2mm brass bar to make up the tiebars as the plastic ones supplied are ok but one of them was broke!

attachicon.gifWB 131.jpg

It will be weathered in due course.

Jinty ;)

I'm sure you can soon DIRTY that little beauty up mate.

Did you correct the buffer spacing Jinty?   When I built the JLRT LMS 12ton van the buffer centres were nearly 1/2 a hole too close together and I believe the B.R. vans were the same. IIRC they weren't as bad as the Fruit D which needed the holes for the buffer stocks plugging and re-drilling at the correct spacings.  It is a pity that, despite knowing of these errors for years, JLRT don't appear to have corrected the moulds.

Cheers,

Ray.

Did you correct the buffer spacing Jinty?   When I built the JLRT LMS 12ton van the buffer centres were nearly 1/2 a hole too close together and I believe the B.R. vans were the same. IIRC they weren't as bad as the Fruit D which needed the holes for the buffer stocks plugging and re-drilling at the correct spacings.  It is a pity that, despite knowing of these errors for years, JLRT don't appear to have corrected the moulds.

Cheers,

Ray.

Thanks Ray,

When I built the JLTRT Fruit D at the very beginning of my Talyllyn thread I did have to correct the buffer spacings as they were a country mile out.

I used a Parkside Dundas van for reference. Since then I have also built one of their LMS vans and then this BR van. The first thing I checked was the buffer spacings on both, which in the case of the LMS van and this one, were correct. So I would assume from that, that they have re-tooled both examples. This BR van has been purchased within the last month and the LMS van was purchased last year. 

As an adage, I was speaking to Laurie last week and he mentioned that the prices have been increased for all the vans to £55, but he is including the Peartree wheel sets in the price, so only a net increase of £7 overall. 

Jinty ;)

I used a Parkside Dundas van for reference. Since then I have also built one of their LMS vans and then this BR van. The first thing I checked was the buffer spacings on both, which in the case of the LMS van and this one, were correct. So I would assume from that, that they have re-tooled both examples. This BR van has been purchased within the last month and the LMS van was purchased last year. 

Jinty ;)

That's good to hear.  I got my LMS van soon after they came out.

Ray.

• RMweb Premium

I was speaking to Laurie last week and he mentioned that the prices have been increased for all the vans to £55, but he is including the Peartree wheel sets in the price, so only a net increase of £7 overall.

Jinty ;)

I'm a little surprised by that given the rtr competition is therefore considerably cheaper. I've bought several nicely made up Freightman versions for less as well!

Having a bit of a sort out, decided to get this little 08 finished an available for a new owner.

Proper sized vacuum pipes fitted, wipers fitted, weathered and then fitted with Paul Chetters sound file (version 2) and given a good old testing and a video done of the results.

attachicon.gifD304301.jpg

attachicon.gifD304302.jpg

attachicon.gifD304303.jpg

attachicon.gifD304304.jpg

attachicon.gifD304305.jpg

And here is the video, please excuse the crappy video editing, I will get used to the system.

As mentioned this 08 is for sale, along with a couple of ESU V4 decoders both with GWR 2-cyl sound projects on them, PM me for details.

I'm also pottering with a JLTRT 12t BR Fruit van. Body painted and transfers, then some Testors, and the chassis almost finished.

Jinty ;)

What speaker have you used with this chip, Jinty?  I've got the same chip but it doesn't sound as good as this.

Rod

What speaker have you used with this chip, Jinty?  I've got the same chip but it doesn't sound as good as this.

Rod

Hi Rod,

I have my own speaker fitted to the 08, I make them up with enclosure and wires ready to solder in.

I can do one for you if you want, just PM me.

Jinty ;)

• Like 3

Hi Rod,

I have my own speaker fitted to the 08, I make them up with enclosure and wires ready to solder in.

I can do one for you if you want, just PM me.

Jinty ;)

I can deliver it to him in person ..... and have a lovely little play on WKT  :locomotive:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have been finishing this Heljan class 37 for Brian (The friend and modeller who made the station building!), it is finished as No. 6834 in BR Blue, reasonably weathered as a workaday example of the late 60's, early 70's. Fitted with a Zimo MX696 sound decoder with Paul Chetter's sound project  added. I have wired the tail lamps for independent switching, as I have for the cab lights.

Here are some pictures:

post-14906-0-49191800-1507672687_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-84479000-1507672695_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-42568700-1507672708_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-04765200-1507672718_thumb.jpg

post-14906-0-17471800-1507672727_thumb.jpg

There is a video on my Talyllyn thread.

Nearly ready for its owner, just some CV's to alter when I get the information off the Guru.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Like 8

I'll bet that 37 looks right in the flesh Jinty, but you are over-exposing your pictures and giving the wrong impression of the weathering.  I'll be honest.........I'm more interested in those splendid trees.  :biggrin_mini2:  I need one for  a particular spot at Carrog.

Hi Coachman,

Yes they are a touch over exposed and it does give a poor impression of the weathering, which is more subtle than shown. New camera, but I will get used to Manual mode with it!!!

As for the trees, I did mention the sea foam trees I'd made up a while back, I have a couple left and you're welcome to them if they are any good. Let me know.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

I have been finishing this Heljan class 37 for Brian (The friend and modeller who made the station building!), it is finished as No. 6834 in BR Blue, reasonably weathered as a workaday example of the late 60's, early 70's. Fitted with a Zimo MX696 sound decoder with Paul Chetter's sound project  added. I have wired the tail lamps for independent switching, as I have for the cab lights.

Here are some pictures:

attachicon.gifWB 132.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 133.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 134.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 135.jpg

attachicon.gifWB 136.jpg

There is a video on my Talyllyn thread.

Nearly ready for its owner, just some CV's to alter when I get the information off the Guru.

Jinty ;)

Excellent young Man, that's how I remember them at Eastleigh Yard and Didcot in the late 70's

A little while back I purchased a London Road Models RSU. So I decided to try it out on a brass kit, and what better kit to use than a Jim McGowan one!!!!

A BR 20t Brake Van, just about fell together. I used Peartree wheels and I machined the bearing holes out a touch to make sure of a good fit. I found that the RSU was a poor alternative for larger pieces being stuck together, but certainly came into its own with fitting small details. I resorted to the trusty 40w Weller for the main body construction, the temp controlled for the whitemetal bits and the RSU for all the other bits.

I think that I need to learn about quantities of solder paste to use with the RSU as I probably used a bit too much, but that will come with practice.

I've added the vac pipe along the bottom edge of the bufferbeam and brass cast vac pipes (not sure of their heritage!!!) to the buffer beam.

I've got the roof to put together next, which is pre-rolled but just needed a bit more working. I will make it removable as I want to fit it with directional tail lamps at each end, so I will need access for the decoder.

Here it is as of this evening: 

post-14906-0-38349900-1508098733_thumb.jpg

Jim's kits are a joy to put together and with the slot and tab it is difficult to get it wrong!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 6