Oswestry in 0 gauge? Selling up instead....

coachmann

I found that even a small station like Carrog demands lots of space in 7mm scale.  4mm will allow me to make a much better representation of the station and its approach from the north across open country. 

I started with Diggle Junction 10 years ago, which demanded lots of locos and rolling stock, so thereafter each layout was handed a legacy of all this stuff that was always more than I could possibly use. This time I am starting from scratch and so will only buy what I need (or fancy!). As with Ellesmere and Oswestry, the Llangollen line will be red restriction even if in reality it was a blue route. One reason for this is the proprietary RTR manufactures do not cater at the moment for GWR or Cambrian lightly laid lines (no Manor, 43XX or Large Prairie). The other reason is I like Halls! 

Nothing can be started until April so in the meantime I am working out which track system to use.

• RMweb Gold

I do hear the trains whistling and also working hard up the bank to Washford. There are three four stations within walking distance about a mile to the nearest. I don't know about the Llangollen but here the WSR does not run early enough to wake us for breakfast. The fourth station is just a halt.

Don

I do hear the trains whistling and also working hard up the bank to Washford. There are three four stations within walking distance about a mile to the nearest. I don't know about the Llangollen but here the WSR does not run early enough to wake us for breakfast. The four station is just a halt.

Don

Depends what time you wake up for breakfast haha.  It sounds like you are particularly fortunate living close by a heritage line. I was awoken one morning by an Austerity 2-8-0 shunting in Abergele goods yard, but within two years steam had disappeared. DCC Sound helps bring the models to life though.

I found that even a small station like Carrog demands lots of space in 7mm scale.  4mm will allow me to make a much better representation of the station and its approach from the north across open country. 

I started with Diggle Junction 10 years ago, which demanded lots of locos and rolling stock, so thereafter each layout was handed a legacy of all this stuff that was always more than I could possibly use. This time I am starting from scratch and so will only buy what I need (or fancy!). As with Ellesmere and Oswestry, the Llangollen line will be red restriction even if in reality it was a blue route. One reason for this is the proprietary RTR manufactures do not cater at the moment for GWR or Cambrian lightly laid lines (no Manor, 43XX or Large Prairie). The other reason is I like Halls! 

Nothing can be started until April so in the meantime I am working out which track system to use.

I see a nice Country Station and loads of room for some really nice Scenic's Larry.

As an aside....

I am looking through some old Not So Recent (!) (1980s at the moment) Railway Modeller Magazines....

A certain Larry Goddard seems to be cropping up a bit! ;)

As regards scales and space.....

The lack of space we have would be better used for N...but we have invested too much in OO to change now.

We did try N....but aged ago when it was nowhere as good as now....

Our O Guage exploits were limited to Hornby Clockwork and Tri-ang Big Big Train (Battery)....with a small deviation to the Timpo Wild West Train (also Battery) (The track was very much like Big-Big Train Track...only a different colour!)

As an aside....

I am looking through some old Not So Recent (!) (1980s at the moment) Railway Modeller Magazines....

It seemed to be the same people writing articles for 'Railway Modeller' and 'Model Railway Constructor' in the 1960's and 70's, although mine were few and far between. I gave up modelling for myself after going self-employed. 

• RMweb Gold

I can well imagine your dilema over the space needed. With the increasing availability of 7mm stock I thought it would be nice to have a shunting puzzle layout based on a canal transfer shed like Chillington Basin at Wolverhampton. It looked nice on the fag packet sketch but when I started to draw it out to scale I found that the scenic section was 12 feet long without getting on to the fiddle yard which needed about 4 feet to clear a siding in one go with an 08. The width needed for side by side boat berths, platforms each side, 3 sidings and a hardstanding for lorry traffic  was at least 3 feet. The full layout of the prototype would be over 5 feet wide.

Needless to say, if it ever happens it will fit in 7 feet plus 2 feet for the fiddle yard by 2 feet wide for the reduced version or 3 feet for the full version at 4mm scale.

As an aside....

As regards scales and space.....

The lack of space we have would be better used for N...but we have invested too much in OO to change now.

We did try N....but aged ago when it was nowhere as good as now....

Our O Guage exploits were limited to Hornby Clockwork and Tri-ang Big Big Train (Battery)....with a small deviation to the Timpo Wild West Train (also Battery) (The track was very much like Big-Big Train Track...only a different colour!)

I was doing the same yesterday afternoon. It was warm outside so I pulled down a box of old MRCs, Model Railways etc from the nether regions of the garage and sat in the garden enjoying the surprisingly warm, but most welcome sunshine.. Lot's of articles by deceased greats of the hobby. In one edition from 1982 there were articles by the late Peter Denny, Frank Dyer, David Jenkinson and Martin Brent all edited by the equally late Cyril Freezer. The advertisements for deceased businesses were also interesting: Kemp, Eames, Kings Cross, W&H, Hadley Hobbies, Beatties. I'm rather glad I kept them.

• RMweb Gold

I would be the first to agree that 0 gauge is not the best choice for a layout based on setting a station in the landscape (something 2mm does really well) however there are many delightful small layouts in 7mm which make good use of the greater mass and close up feel the scale offers. The important thing is to chose a scale that suits you and what you want to achieve.

Don

If it's a complete new start does this include the gauge Larry?

Mike.

Had it been totally indoors, then yes I would have gone for EM. Almost half of the stuff i build for others is EM anyway. But robust track is required outdoors. Funnily enough i have been discussing this with a pal this morning after he inquired why I used code 100 in the garden. I suppose it was accepted practice tha made me do it, but seeing as some code 75 was outdoors and had stood up to the elements, i will be using Preco Code 75 outdoors this time. Indoors is an open question at the moment. If the points are handmade to suit the location, I will have to adopt flexible track with thin sleepers and I have plenty of this from DCC Concepts in stock. If I take the extremely lazy and most familiar route of using Peco turnouts bent to suit, then i will use Peco's new bullhead flexible track.

It seemed to be the same people writing articles for 'Railway Modeller' and 'Model Railway Constructor' in the 1960's and 70's, although mine were few and far between. I gave up modelling for myself after going self-employed. 

Hi Larry....

Quite a few mentions are along the lines of  loco "painted and lined by Larry Goddard".... ;)

• RMweb Gold

C+L is up for sale at the moment but still trading. It is ill health of the owner rather than financial problems. This may affect your choice.

However C+L do EM flexi track with thick sleepers which should be fine outdoors although I  would suggest the NS rather than the steel rail version. Turnout in or out could be made up with the C+L parts using the plastic timbers to avoid problems with wet. On the otherhand if building turnouts is not your idea of fun you would be better to stick with Peco.

Don

Building turnouts, railway buildings and 4mm wagon kits is definitely not my idea of fun. In fact my list of pleasant model railway things to do has gotten shorter even in the past ten years. The appeal of 0 gauge has actually plummeted since I started painting the things a few days ago. This means some untouched coach kits will be coming up for sale shortly along with some Dapol and Lionheart wagons and three locos. Not forgetting Peco turnouts and track.

Will 5 thou on the rail height make that much difference Larry?

Sounds like you're doing EM without the extra width!

Mike.

EM without the extra width is a new on on me Mike. It must be similar to a lapsed atheist....  :biggrin_mini2: 

It is impossible to spend more than the odd few minutes in the railway shed while I'm working. But I plan to draw a large radius curve through the station and points and see how the points will fit. I used 250inch radius in the past and bent Peco straight points to suit. I wonder if the new Peco bullhead is readily available, as I couldn't find it on Hattons website this week.

I saw some discussion about C+L on another thread recently and I wondered if they were still trading?

Yep they definitely are ....... I got my parcel of "cough, cough" O gauge track parts from them the other day, ordered and then received within 48 hours, top service ......  :sungum:

Best regards

Craig.

EM without the extra width is a new on on me Mike. It must be similar to a lapsed atheist....  :biggrin_mini2:

It is impossible to spend more than the odd few minutes in the railway shed while I'm working. But I plan to draw a large radius curve through the station and points and see how the points will fit. I used 250inch radius in the past and bent Peco straight points to suit. I wonder if the new Peco bullhead is readily available, as I couldn't find it on Hattons website this week.

It is available Larry, I have it / Laid it / and like it, so far, 

post-9335-0-00707200-1489253539_thumb.jpg

These two little fella's turned up today, the 64XX being a transfer from St.Ives and the 14XX from Widnes. The Bachmann 64XX runs like a dream thanks to its previous owner who has been a friend of mine for some 47 years.  The Hattons/DJM also runs very sweetly and as straight as an arrow. Both will be allocated to Croes Newydd if possible for working auto services on the Llangollen line.

I leave it to the viewer to decide which green they prefer and which lining (the 14XX green is the lighter of the two). I won't be respraying either model as I'm afraid my old draughtsman's pens are on longer fine enough to get between the steps and handrails on the bunkers. In fact this was the very reason I sprayed my 7mm SanCheng 14XX plain black.

attachicon.gifWEB GWR auto fitted.jpg

Ah, a 14xx and Autocoach flying down the bank from Bersham Colliery towards Wrexham on 'The Bala Bus'.  Well, that's what we lads used to call it.  It could have been coming from/going to anywhere South - but the illiteration was good!

Croes Newedd CNYD

BR 84J. From 1/1961 89B. From 9/1963 6C (LMR)

Allocation 31/12/47 ( "A Historical Survey of Great Western Engine Sheds 1947"  E.Lyons)

14XX...1401, 1411, 1416, 1428, 1457.

0-6-0 PT.. 1532, 1747, 1780, 283, 2184, 2188, 2190, 2704, 2716, 2717, 2744, 9556.

The 64XX seem to have been more of a South Wales loco.....none at CNYD in 1947 it seems

But 84J (CNYD) will get one if I have my way! ;)  (EDIT... See below for more fruits of Research! ;) )

They were, it seems for steeply graded branches, where the 14XX could be underpowered....

Also see here...

http://www.railuk.info/steam/getshed.php?item=84J

And here...

http://shedbashuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/croes-newydd-1938-1967.html

AHA!

The last link includes...

Monday 6 August 1951

14xx 0-4-2T. 1410 84J, 1473 84J... 64xx 0-6-0PT  6404 84J , 6405 84J

1959 allocations (41 Locos)

64xx 0-6-0PT GWR 2

A list of 64XX locos and allocations....

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/060_6400det.htm

6404   03/1932  Aug. 1950 Croes Newydd Condemmed at Oswestry 06/1959

6405 03/1932 Aug. 1950 Croes Newydd Condemmed at Croes Newydd 06/1959

Archived