The Flying Scotsman BBC4 29 December 9PM

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I really enjoyed the programme. The SVR is one of my favourite lines so always good to see it.

There was just enough info from the crew and it was just nice to sit back and relax watching.

Looking forward to my next visit.

Interesting viewing.

Not really "slow tv" as there was too much chat!  But as "This is how a steam locomotive is driven" it was excellent, especially the start from Bridgenorth.

(You just had to ignore the headboard.)

• RMweb Gold

I watched a few snatches of it but I do wonder about the Driver's knowledge of Rules & Regs when he referred to 'tokenless block using acceptance levers' between Bewdley South and Kidderminster ( I believe the SVR still works to 1960s Rules & Regs although they might have updated since a few years back?).

Bewdley South to Kidderminster is fully track circuited with acceptance levers.

I enjoyed the program, the engine did look smashing though and a few non resin fanatics were very impressed with it and the railway!. Nice cameo of the West Country!

This is a Great thread, tis like the Vulcan thread on UKAR.

Btw I had to look up what a class 306 was, I had to laugh when I saw it, I am afraid the not for me

Have a happy new year, maybe a drop of Scotch man will do the nicely now

Magnificent programme, and will become stock background viewing when I work at home!

Interesting camera angles, particularly the cross head/slidebar view. Despite only running at moderate speeds, the frame rate makes it look like the piston stroke varies by about an inch!!

Planning to go on NYD. I would imagine many more will be there on the back of this presentation.

Producers should note the success of such programmes. There should be more shows made with less commentary, people are generally smart enough to work out what is going on!

N

• RMweb Premium

That was very nicely done. It must save the program makers a few quid, not having a celebrity/actor/presenter who is usually rather too enthusiastic over a subject that they probably know little about but is reading a script, coupled with intrusive music. No script writing costs either.

Just people going about their work/hobby being filmed and explaining a bit about what they are doing

If it is cheaper to make and does away with the celeb and the background music, everybody is a winner and they should do it more.

It really didn't make a big thing about the loco being Flying Scotsman and it certainly wasn't rammed down our throats but if that name caused a few more people to tune in, how can anybody have a problem with that.

The credits listed a Drone Pilot - presumably while a drone can take decent pictures it cannot do the same for sound.

Spot on, drones make a fair ol noise from those props.

Cracking shots from the air, Love to seen one while the loco was going over one of the Viaducts.

Love or hate the loco it has done wonders to get people into this hobby and perhaps kindle an awakening in railways.

Recorded it last night and just caught up with it. Enjoyable but to be honest a bit....merh....personally speaking, not really a patch on the narrow boat or bus journey.

A full run on the S&C edited down to the 2hrs would have been nicer...without the commentary, just the sound of the engine and the images and text describing local history. Unsure if I'll keep the programme or save to DVD.

Archived