The Flying Scotsman BBC4 29 December 9PM

Paul.Uni

Most genteel footplate I've ever witnessed. :jester:

Indeed!

I watched the non-commentary version tonight and I'm sure the minor problem at Bridgenorth would have, in normal circumstances, produced some acerbic comments.....  However, the presence of cameras and the prospect of nationwide broadcast has a most calming effect!

Definitely an entertaining hours viewing, and well worth watching again.

Now how about an all-stations stopper, Kidder to Bridgenorth?  According to the SVR website 1450 is available*. That would certainly be Slow Tv.....

*Ok, its been put back in its box for the winter, but a Spring excursion along the SVR would be rather nice!

What worried me was his apparent lack of knowledge of the working of rule 55 in the context of a single line, in possession of a token and a diamond on the signal. No whistle on reaching the signal and sending the fireman to do what exactly?

The fireman was sent to phone the box as per Rule 55 (f); if you have a current SVR rulebook to hand you'll see that that particular rule applies to all signals with SPTs whether or not there is a track circuit.

I enjoyed it, was a little different to their previous 'slow tv' programmes but it was an enjoyable programme that got preserved railways on the TV.  If they are to do another one they should do a trip on the WHR or Ffestiniog railways.  It would be as long as the previous episodes and would be more focused on the scenery rather than the engine (not that that was a problem, just means they aren't making the same programme again).

The programme wasnt meant to be an edge of seat experience, it was one of BBC4's slow programmes, a programme to sit back and enjoy without loud explosions, folk being murdered, cars crashing etc etc.  The loco was on a preserved railway with a low line speed so would not have been thrashing, surely you picked up on that before you watched it?

If it was so pathetic to you, then show us what you can make

Hands up and apologies.

Pathetic was the wrong word for me to use. Never heard of BBC 4's "slow" programmes before.

Brit15

TBH I'm not a tremendous fan of main-line express engines waffling along at 20mph, but then again I live within walking distance of NVR so I see it regularly. I was also disappointed with the 60103 era restoration; if Flying Scotsman ISN'T apple green, carrying 4472, why bother?

So I really enjoyed the recent run out, went along to see it at a couple of places and it was great.

My god, reading this thread has made me want to throw myself of a bridge.

What a bunch of whinging, moaning boring old farts we have on here.

We moan when there is nothing on the TV, we moan when there is, we moan its the wrong loco, its cost too much, who is the NRM, what is the NRM, its the wrong speed, its the wrong colour, its on the wrong line..............

Personally I enjoyed the programme as did my 5 year old grandson who sat quietly throughout enjoying what he was watching. Obviously we are in the minority.

Thank you BBC 4 for showing more railway related stuff on TV.

My god, reading this thread has made me want to throw myself of a bridge.

What a bunch of whinging, moaning boring old farts we have on here.

Great Scott Man! This is a forum for trainspotters, if you want sensible, well balanced discourse on the topic of railways might I suggest that you are in the wrong place!!

Never been a trainspotter.

However I am a licence fee payer and taxpayer so surely I am allowed to comment on how other people spend my money?

APOLLO summed up one of my criticisms, How many people tuned in to watch an express passenger locomotive getting thrashed? And how many people turned in to watch Slow TV and countryside? In the end you got neither.

Jason

However I am a licence fee payer and taxpayer so surely I am allowed to comment on how other people spend my money?

Jason

So am I, I love giving 20K a year to HMRC.

I didn't say you were one of the people, just I read this thread and its just a continual moan, there are more things in life to worry about, Terrorism, health, wealth, family, employment.

Not ALL the money came from the tax payer such as you or I, and the loco is starting to repay what it has been given, not like quite a few other projects I could think of.

It's alright, I am one of the vocal moaners when it comes to Flying Scotsman. I admit it.

Not that I would want to see any harm come to the locomotive and now it's in the "public" purse there isn't much we can do about it.

However it's getting a bit ridiculous that every programme now seems to have to feature FS on every occasion. Maybe that will eventually have a detrimental effect on other locomotives getting hire fees for television programmes. "If it's not Flying Scotsman then we're not interested".

Jason

Despite  my  Avatar  I am  not really  A  FS Fan  thats  probably  due to  being  brought  up  close to the Manchester to Crewe  line  and  observing  Princess Royal  & Princess Coronation  classes  on  running  in  turns  from Crewe  very frequently,  however  I have  to  admit   that  I enjoyed  the  BBC4 film  of  FS,  but  I would  no  doubt  have  gained  the  same  level  of  enjoyment  from  any other  loco  that  might  have  been  used  for  the  programme!!

How many people tuned in to watch an express passenger locomotive getting thrashed? And how many people turned in to watch Slow TV and countryside? In the end you got neither.

Jason

Yet the vast majority of comments on this thread since the programme aired are positive, people enjoyed it. So whatever they didn't get, they liked what they did get.

And are you sure you're not a trainspotter? You can tell us you know, we understand.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - I had assumed that was probably the case as I knew the section was commissioned with Acceptance Lever working hence my mild surprise at (and comment on here about) him using the term 'tokenless block', which it patently isn't (as different Regulations applied to Tokenless Block).

Without wishing to criticise the driver, it wouldn't be the first time that non-signalling grades have been slightly lackadasical in their description of the signallling system and block regulations. Yes, the above system, as described is a 'block system' and is also 'without tokens'.

In much the same way, the working of a single line of railway (especially when failure situations require the use of a Pilotman) is often referred to by non-signalling grades as 'single line working', whereas the real Single Line Working is not quite the same thing.

Oh, and I really enjoyed the programme (I watched the one with the footplate crew's commentary). I thought it was just fab.

Yet the vast majority of comments on this thread since the programme aired are positive, people enjoyed it. So whatever they didn't get, they liked what they did get.

And are you sure you're not a trainspotter? You can tell us you know, we understand.

Nope.

Tried it for a day and it got boring when you had saw virtually every member of two classes of top link locomotives in a few hours. Class 86 and Class 87 BTW. Throw in the Class 81s and 85s, and that was nearly all the electrics.

Jason

I watched the program and enjoyed it, nice and relaxing at the time of the evening that it was shown.

I can see from all the posts that Flying Scotsman is a very subjective subject... What did strike me watching the program was the size of the crowds watching the loco go past - people where stood all over the place.

This I can assure you is not just one off crowds - I work near the Carnforth to Leeds line and everytime the loco comes through there are large crowds with local school classes coming to watch it come through.

This does not happen when any other locos go through - only a few hardened enthusiasts turn out to watch anything else go past...

The loco generates a lot of great publicity and the 4.5m or so that went into getting the loco back onto the tracks went largely to British engineering and manufacturing which can only be a good thing.

My 10 year old son thinks it's marvellous and came with me to Hest Bank a number of months ago to watch it come bye (to a modern 10 year old even a slow moving steam loco is noisy and scary) but when I took him to the railway museum the other year and showed him Mallard he was not really interested at all - the speed record counted for nothing as the loco never moves and it's name really doesn't inspire speed being named after a duck!

Stuart

The simple fact is most people know what Flying Scotsman is, and hence commissioning editors are more likely to go with a program with such in its title than Duchess of Sutherland or Earl of Mount Edgcumbe for example, which would baffle most people. I do not think its a case of other loco owners suffering any loss of income, rather there would be no income to any organisation at all if the A3 was not the featured loco.

Archived