RMweb

Hornby Class 87 - Confirmed Newly Tooled Version for 2017 !

ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Why is it pulling vacuum braked maroon liveried Mk1's?

I would hazard a guess that it was because that's what they had to hand on the Hornby layout, and therefore it was convenient. Either way, it illustrates the locomotive pulling something.....

It's another bizarre choice that defies modelling choice (I've yet to consider the marketing aspect though).

The earlier recepticles were a box with a sprung lid and were quite big (but something doesn't look right about them in the photos), the later ones are just box section to keep the plug in one place.

I'd be interested to hear how they've measured them, whether they were a standard BR part that exists on something else or if they've interpretated them from drawings or photos.

Indeed it is a bizarre choice.

They will look massive when painted in orange!

If these large recepticles are moulded on, mine will have to come off and smaller boxes fabricated and repositioned lower down.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it is a bizarre choice.

They will look massive when painted in orange!

If these large recepticles are moulded on, mine will have to come off and smaller boxes fabricated and repositioned lower down.

They don't look to be moulded on. The colour is slightly different as it is with other added detail.

Roy

Presumably you know the 87 is air braked only - we do.   I wouldn't worry about the coaches, it was merely a test run on a layout of a totally different era and they even acknowledged the lack of overhead wires right at the start of the video too.  You could just as easily have asked which Class 87 was in all over white but we know the reasons behind that too.........goodbye!

Edited by ThaneofFife
  • Like 2

Just a couple of bits that could be discussed this weekend by those that are genuinely interested in this thread......(acknowledged its not the finished article) based on a blown up view of the above image of the No.2 end non corridor side.

1- the drip rails above the cabs look dead level along their entire length when I think that whilst they should be level over the doors they should show a very slight fall down towards the cab front droplight window.

2- Now......that pillar inbetween the front "van" windows.  is it my eyes or should it be a bit narrower?  Reminds me of some small SNCF Bo-Bo electric at the moment looking at those windows.  Also at side of those main windows are the pillars too thick there as well?   This is the face of the loco and so if this is wrong then the penalty could be high. This aspect must be right.

3- where is the bottom of the cab door?

​4- be better if the flexicoil springs looked much more beefier....... maybe they need added depth too (but certainly not a deal breaker).

I look forward to seeing the corridor side at some point and inside the cabs........ 

From the video the loco looks great and I like the triple lighting arrangement too with its prototypical brighter central light.

It's also missing a driver, overhead catenary, running on scale 4ft gauge track....I could go on?

It's a first EP on a test run - its pulling what is available.

• Like 3

Looks good so far, however I do agree about the comments surrounding the Springs - And I hope that they cant sort out the light bleed as well. It looks like a similar approach is being used to the likes of the 153 etc, which unfortunately in that EP shows the light bars through the body plastic.

That looks very nice.

Not many good views of the pantograph but it looks promising.

I agree that the flexicoil springs look a little small but it may just be an optical illusion. Incidentally, Lima's 87's flexicoil was bigger than Hornby's. I never realised this until I decided to build an 86/1.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

But even if it were like that prior to entering service (and it would only have been after overhaul because the 87s weren't named when brand new), they were soon so weathered there was no trace of the white box. So as I've said before if you want an 87 in normal condition you don't have white boxes.

post-7309-0-24652600-1501502419_thumb.jpg

Just found this image of 87001 in the Colin Marsden book "The AC Electrics" .

Maybe the white box was on a few locos only on delivery only as it seems by the time names were applied they were all black.

Sorry for the poor picture , hope it's not breaking any rules .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only 87001 has turned up in photos like that, no others have been seen like it, even when new.

When they were named only about 6 had ceremonies, where the loco was bulled up, and these just had black underframes. The rest were named at depots with plates added to dirty locos with hastily re-arranged arrows. By all means paint yours white if you want, but there is no photographic evidence other than for 87001 before it was named.

• Like 1

to those a little bit late, shall we say, to the party, its quite easy and not much point in dragging this point on anymore. 

that photo above of 87035 in blue, named condition with white battery charger doesnt even have the correct original equipment on the cab front or the correct pantograph for the model Hornby have announced.  If that was the intented template then wheres the white tyre rims and other white detail on the model? that is a photo from the loco in its preservation afterlife and not its in service life although I thought it received one of the intercity livery repaints when I last saw it at the heritage centre so suspect its a much more recent photo.

the only single thing I would like to see if this topic were to continue to be strangled to death on is seeing this mysterious "library photo" "not usually seen or made available to the public" of 87035 in blue, with name, in as built condition, in pristine finish.  I don't think I need to go and buy a hat ready to be eaten.........not yet anyway.

I was going to post that pic of 87001 above but didn't in case it breached any copyright but I agree that its the only time I have seen the loco like this.  When the 87s reached naming time I cant say I ever saw them pristine with the white detail being discussed and its nothing to do with a bit of weathering.

• Like 1

As one of the people who helped with the repainting of 87035, CHC were given artwork by Hornby to follow and on the artwork the boxes were still white, so consequently it has now appeared on the real thing.

Edited by gner125
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

As one of the people who helped with the repainting of 87035, CHC were given artwork by Hornby to follow and on the artwork the boxes were still white, so consequently it has now appeared on the real thing.

Lol so an example of the real thing emulating the model.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

No pics from this weekends exhibition? There was a bit of an 87 appearing in a pic on the Coronation thread. Nobody posting one on here. Love to see what the blue ones pantograph looks like