Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

everybody.

I have been looking forward to getting my hands on a model of 46256 for quite some time and it seems that there aren't any examples of the model to be had anywhere.

I read somewhere that Hornby have halved the amount of models that they have sent to the uk, and as a result they are rare the the proverbial hen's tooth, is this the case?

I only hope that Hornby send more examples over as, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is finding it hard to get hold of one.

gary

I have seen one or two shops saying they did not get their full quota of Hs but not for Sir William Stanier. Likewise this forum would be alight with complaints if their orders had not been fulfilled. I do remember Hornby increasing production after the initial quota sold out on pre-orders quite quickly. Checking a well known auction site, you can probably pick one up for £200. I see a wrenn one struggling to get bids at £55 and less than a day to go. Popular, this model was always going to be, but can still be found.

Guest Midland Mole

I did say it on here before, but we got just over half the Staniers we ordered for the shop, meaning we had to cancel pre-orders. And our Atholls are still MIA.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

I did say it on here before, but we got just over half the Staniers we ordered for the shop, meaning we had to cancel pre-orders. And our Atholls are still MIA.

Alex

Really not good enough, on Hornbys part. This is not supporting their supplier base . The result is that more people will order with Rails or Hattons, that for whatever reason seem to have got their allocations, leaving the smaller retailer out in the cold. If you order I bet they would view it you have made a commitment, shame they are not discharging theirs to supply you Edited by Legend

I have seen one or two shops saying they did not get their full quota of Hs but not for Sir William Stanier. Likewise this forum would be alight with complaints if their orders had not been fulfilled. I do remember Hornby increasing production after the initial quota sold out on pre-orders quite quickly. Checking a well known auction site, you can probably pick one up for £200. I see a wrenn one struggling to get bids at £55 and less than a day to go. Popular, this model was always going to be, but can still be found.

My local model shop ordered 48 cut to 38, then received  big fat O, warehouse decided to cut his order because he asked for delivery a couple of days later, after alot of trying he received 8, not much use as he had 28 pre orders from customers, I did not manage to get one,complained to Hornby, but that was a waste of time, still could  get one from Rails ,but I refuse to pay £213.99 from a  over charging box shifter.

Edited by brittannia

The 19 Duchesses left in traffic at September 1st were given it. Why do people want a livery feature that was only carried for a month, a flash in the pan.  A collectors thing? 

Because it's different? 

That's my reasoning. Already got the replacement plates and wheels are in stock. I might also have the transfers for the stripes as I've already done a Jubilee and had planned on a couple more.

Jason

• Like 1

Alex

Sorry to have missed those posts. I take it back. We had this problem in the 90s with Lima limited editions. Once we suffered that twice, we stopped taking customer orders for them, saying honestly we may not be able to honour them.

Hornby still have not hot their ordering system sorted out yet then.

• RMweb Gold

There is another possibility to this shortage conspiracy discussed here.

I for one have shifted my preorders in 2017, from what was rapidly becoming a sole supplier in 2015/6 to sourcing my models from at least 6 stores in 2017. Largely due to price increases (less discounts) at that single source, I’ve spread my net wider to find the best deals.

One store in particular offered a great incentive and secured around 11 new release locos to me in 2017, which I correspondingly cancelled my preorders at the original box shifter as a result.

Is it possible I am not alone in doing this ?

If that was the case, and i’m Not alone in doing that, what we might have seen is the box shifters having more “left over” than in the past, and the high street stores selling out faster than in the past due to the shift in consumer purchasing trend, leaving the big guys with left over stock and the high street short ?

If this was not anticipated by the big guys, there pre-order quantities of the box shifters may not have changed and in not reflecting the shift resulted in more left over at the big guys than the high street ?

What may be worse, is that if the high street actually increased their preorders, and the box shifters have not reduced, then the result is Hornby pre-orders now sells out faster in advance, that this gets misinterpreted in the board room to believing the market is growing, despite price increases and so be tempted into increasing supply, when in actuality the demand moved, not increased.

So far with the MN, H, Duchess i’m not hearing many stories of people failing to secure, despite selling out at Big H’s HQ, and with exception of SWS prices don’t seem to be heading skywards, which must mean demand is being met by enough supply, but if they are still in Box shifter websites in 6 months that may not be a good sign.

In the past it was the box shifters who sold out first, and the high street carried stock on a high margin albeit often taking years to amortise, may be now the reverse is starting ? Whilst there was a desire to support the high street, if the high street becomes a mini box shifter, overall there margins are being hit, even if they are turning over more, and if the box shifter ends up carrying excess stock.. we’ll we already know how they deal with it, but in both cases everyone’s margin ends up being squeezed, which isn’t healthy.

Edited by adb968008

Hi Folks, 

I paid a visit to Locomotion this morning, wanting to clarify if the Hornby Duchess of Hamilton was a glossy finish. the recent National Collection in Miniature models have been somewhat toy like in appearance thanks to the overly deep gloss, not my cup of tea, and the reason (on a separate subject) that I declined ordering "The Gresley Collection". 

They didn't have any examples to hand or the pre production sample, but they did have a packaging cover sleeve and the finish looks in line with that on my SWS, which is very good indeed. 

So i've taken a chance on it, they should be in stock this coming week, partly funded by my parents as a belated 30th Birthday present. 

Looking forward to finally having a model of 46229! The last chance I had of it was when the loco drive Hornby Duchess was first launched 16 years ago, and only TMC did it, and a 14/15 year old couldn't afford TMC prices then, definitely not TMC prices now either!

This is de-streamlined?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Folks,

I paid a visit to Locomotion this morning, wanting to clarify if the Hornby Duchess of Hamilton was a glossy finish. the recent National Collection in Miniature models have been somewhat toy like in appearance thanks to the overly deep gloss, not my cup of tea, and the reason (on a separate subject) that I declined ordering "The Gresley Collection".

They didn't have any examples to hand or the pre production sample, but they did have a packaging cover sleeve and the finish looks in line with that on my SWS, which is very good indeed.

So i've taken a chance on it, they should be in stock this coming week, partly funded by my parents as a belated 30th Birthday present.

Looking forward to finally having a model of 46229! The last chance I had of it was when the loco drive Hornby Duchess was first launched 16 years ago, and only TMC did it, and a 14/15 year old couldn't afford TMC prices then, definitely not TMC prices now either!

Incidentally No.5000 has the gloss finish, and in this case does a faithful justice to 5000 as it is today, which is overly glossy too!

Paul.

Looking on the Locomotion Models page, it doesn’t actually look as glossy as previous Gloss releases. Be interesting to see.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/national-collection-in-miniature/hornbynrm-exclusive-r3594-lms-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2.htm

• RMweb Gold

That is one nice looking loco. :)

In my humble opinion, the Princess Coronations were the best looking of any British Pacific once the sloping smokebox had been "fixed" and (sorry gents) before the diagonal cab stripe had been applied. I for one will never forget the ground shaking experience as they roared through Tamworth or standing at the north end of Crewe station and seeing an ex-works example back onto its train..................hard to get enthusiastic about my hobby once they and the Princess Royals had gone. :cry:

Mike

• Like 1

That is one nice looking loco. :)

Looking on the Locomotion Models page, it doesn’t actually look as glossy as previous Gloss releases. Be interesting to see.

http://www.locomotionmodels.com/national-collection-in-miniature/hornbynrm-exclusive-r3594-lms-princess-coronation-class-4-6-2.htm

I'm hoping I can post up some pics of 46229 and 46256 together upon arrival of 46229.

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold

Would SWS have evr hauled Mk.1 coaches? If so was it BR maroon or BR carmine and cream coaches

Both.Carmine & cream hung around a lot longer than you might believe.WR stock...Colletts&Hawksworths also acceptable as the class were regular performers between Crewe&Shrewsbury on North to West trains and the line was used as a running in turn after overhaul at Crewe.I once saw 46236 at the head of a 3 Stanier suburban coach  local at Shrewsbury (1954).Maroon Mark ones were staple stock on WCML expresses,as were Stanier portholes

• RMweb Gold

Would SWS have evr hauled Mk.1 coaches? If so was it BR maroon or BR carmine and cream coaches

In the condition modelled with the electrification flashes the majority (but not all) of the Mk1 fleet was maroon. There is also scope for a couple of chocolate and cream Mk1's added as through coaches on WCML services.

I found this pic on the net https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRjtrFgrzXAhWDXhoKHUurBWQQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fgeoffsimages%2F20106257929&psig=AOvVaw0snVvzzOmhqeRtsv-vu6DR&ust=1510678527995918

The first 2 coaches look like maroon Mk1s. I can't tell from the photo whether the loco is red or green but Mark 1s would have been introduced before 46256 was painted red & the WCML would probably have been one of the first lines to receive new coaches.

Hi Pete

I found this pic on the net https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiRjtrFgrzXAhWDXhoKHUurBWQQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2Fgeoffsimages%2F20106257929&psig=AOvVaw0snVvzzOmhqeRtsv-vu6DR&ust=1510678527995918

The first 2 coaches look like maroon Mk1s. I can't tell from the photo whether the loco is red or green but Mark 1s would have been introduced before 46256 was painted red & the WCML would probably have been one of the first lines to receive new coaches.

The tender would appear to have an Early Emblem - my guess a green painted locomotive and pre 1959.

Ray

PS A better link to your picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/20106257929

• RMweb Gold

Both.Carmine & cream hung around a lot longer than you might believe.WR stock...Colletts&Hawksworths also acceptable as the class were regular performers between Crewe&Shrewsbury on North to West trains and the line was used as a running in turn after overhaul at Crewe.I once saw 46236 at the head of a 3 Stanier suburban coach  local at Shrewsbury (1954).Maroon Mark ones were staple stock on WCML expresses,as were Stanier portholes

I saw a Royal Scot heading north through Tamworth hauling a complete rake of SR green coaches on one occasion........don't ask me what they were though, we were really interested in the locomotives then.

Mike