Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

• 1 month later...

Rob, Hornby and Hattons both have a release date of October 18 for the re-release of this model.

Thanks, with the delays to other models like the blue Merchant Navy I had become sceptical.  I bought two models first time around but having photographed them sold them both in a fit of economic frugality, but found one for sale locally brand new at £174 free post...   and have bought it just for the pleasure.  Now I shall have to be frugal, again...    :)

p.s. if they are to be released on or about Oct 18 they must be on a ship en route to the UK as I write....

Edited by robmcg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I hope that this time Hornby has had the sense to include a shorter metal drawbar in the accessory pack.

Easy enough the make a new draw bar - its the daft design of body to chassis attachment (both loco and tender) I  hope they fix . The loco attachment is too weak for the job and many of the last batch were delivered broken whilst who can forget the herculean struggle Andy Y had removing the tender body lol :)

Just to keep you inspired the real 6233 returned to action this weekend at the Severn Valley Railway - just up the road from me.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_414.jpeg

Has to be just about the most spectacular example of steam railway engineering anywhere...    even if Ivatt added roller bearings everywhere!    :)

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Gold

Given the dearth of locos around London in the next 2-3 weeks and the forth coming christmas season, i am expect / hoping 6233 is going to head south in the next couple of weeks to take up residence in Southall to share work with 60009 which has 10 trips lined up to christmas already, in some cases 3x trips in a week !

61306 is yet to show, but has 7 tours booked in and around the capital before christmas, next is in 2 weeks, not sure what will cover that one, as 60009 heads to York the week before, unless ablack 5 comes down from Scotland ?

Edited by adb968008

Rail have them at £179    which places them in the affordable realm, esp for those of us outside the EU.

No connection.

I think they are using photos from the first batch, may be wrong, but I'll be interested in any small changes.

Incredibly, most seem to have the valve gear eccentric correct on both sides!  A pet peeve of mine.  :)

Of course I bought one just a few weeks ago from a local retailer, and was very pleased with myself, and now Hornby have actually to my pleasant surprise, delivered when they said they would!

Guest Mancunian

Yes are there any changes from the first batch please? Notably to the poor engine/tender draw bar where I want scale close coupling. Is the livery finish the same?

Many thanks

You mean, "Oh, just make a hole under the tender plastic and stick any old screw in it as long as it goes through the draw-bar.    This will only increase the hole in the plastic. 

The only answer is for everybody to complain by email (save your voice and waiting time) to Hornby and stop paying-out silly amounts of money for poor quality products and what they call Quality Control, it's a joke!  

• RMweb Premium

The only answer is for everybody to complain by email (save your voice and waiting time) to Hornby and stop paying-out silly amounts of money for poor quality products and what they call Quality Control, it's a joke!  

Well - no.

My answer was to use a little ingenuity and modelling to achieve the spacing that I required.

The model is 99.9% excellent - so it was no major imposition to provide the other 0.1% myself.

Just my POV,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well - no.

My answer was to use a little ingenuity and modelling to achieve the spacing that I required.

The model is 99.9% excellent - so it was no major imposition to provide the other 0.1% myself.

Just my POV,

John Isherwood.

A piece of plasticard (actually I used a black soup pot lid) and a hole punch of suitable diameter is all that is needed. All of 2 minutes work. I roughly halved the gap and it will still go around a 30 inch curve.

• Like 3

Could anybody please put out pictures of the "second run" SWS please to see any differences?

I'm sorry to labour the point about locomotive/tender draw bar issues. I'm disabled and am petty useless with any fiddly work! Can anybody advise where I could get scale close coupling done please?

Thanks

I don't know if the pictures in the current Rails ad are from the second run, but here is one of them, (slightly lightened and with vignette).

below that my photos of the first run version, I cannot see any differences.

post-7929-0-55477200-1539728648_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-23476700-1539728803_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24430600-1539728823_thumb.jpg

cheers

post-7929-0-55477200-1539728648_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-23476700-1539728803_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24430600-1539728823_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Guest Mancunian

Could anybody please put out pictures of the "second run" SWS please to see any differences?

I'm sorry to labour the point about locomotive/tender draw bar issues. I'm disabled and am petty useless with any fiddly work! Can anybody advise where I could get scale close coupling done please?

Thanks

Have you checked-out retailers or clubs in your area...?

• RMweb Premium

I got one of the latest batch of these, very impressive. Unfortunately it went about twenty feet before the screw holding the speedometer cable and rear connecting rod fell off whilst reversing, sort of pole faulted off the track and lost the alignment of the screw hole in the process.

Luckily I persuaded the other side's wheel back carefully and it turned the nearside offending wheel with it. FortunatelyI had the right tool to fit the nut and it is now running beautifully again.

The downside with models in short supply is that you are tempted to repair faults such as this as, if you return them you may not get a replacement.

Syd

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, R3681 6241 'City of Edinburgh' in post-war LMS lined black has arrived in some shops, at about UKP184 vs rrp UKP204.

I wonder how this will fare compared to the Hornby/Rails exclusive 46229 in lined black or for that matter the gloss Hornby BR/Locomotion red 46229?

Can't find any photos of R3681 yet but these below do rather whet the appetite!  :) Hopefully the lettering on the tender will be the right height.

post-7929-0-92583400-1541725673_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-08492100-1541725722_thumb.jpg

I also wonder if and  when we might see a green 'Princess Coronation', but that is just my idle curiosity.  

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 2