Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

(SNIP) Weren't the Big Lizzies fitted with deflectors progressively following the introduction of the double chimney? Sure I've read there was an issue of drifting smoke once in this guise which was obscuring the driver's view of signalling.

Yes, the deflectors were late into the LMS regime, as most of the Princess Coronation and Duchesses were single chimney when new. Double chimneys lower exhaust velocity caused the smoke to drift down in front of the cab. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the deflectors were late into the LMS regime, as most of the Princess Coronation and Duchesses were single chimney when new. Double chimneys lower exhaust velocity caused the smoke to drift down in front of the cab. 

Paul. 

Yep, the first 10 (streamliners) had single chimneys.

The next 5 (non-streamliners) had single chimneys but not deflectors. 6234 was given a double chimney as an experiment. In this form it became the most powerful recorded steam loco in the UK & remains so to this day. Others may have been more powerful but there are no recorded figures to prove it.

All Coronations from 6235 onwards were built with double chimneys.

The next non-streamlined Coronations (6249 onwards) were built without deflectors.

Deflectors started to appear late in the war (c1944) starting with one of the red ones (6233 I think). They were fitted to ex-streamliners as part of the de-streamlining process.

As much as I would like to see 6233 in LMS red with no deflectors, I am sure the drifting smoke would make this hazardous so it would not be done.

Yep, the first 10 (streamliners) had single chimneys.

The next 5 (non-streamliners) had single chimneys but not deflectors. 6234 was given a double chimney as an experiment. In this form it became the most powerful recorded steam loco in the UK & remains so to this day. Others may have been more powerful but there are no recorded figures to prove it.

All Coronations from 6235 onwards were built with double chimneys.

The next non-streamlined Coronations (6249 onwards) were built without deflectors.

Deflectors started to appear late in the war (c1944) starting with one of the red ones (6233 I think). They were fitted to ex-streamliners as part of the de-streamlining process.

As much as I would like to see 6233 in LMS red with no deflectors, I am sure the drifting smoke would make this hazardous so it would not be done.

46225 "Duchess of Gloucester" may have produced more power, during its BR tests, it certainly achieved the highest sustained steaming capacity of any locomotive in the UK (if memory serves me right, it was to the tune of 40,000lbs of steam per hour with two firemen shovelling for dear life) though I cannot remember if O.S. Nock had recorded the power output, it mave have been EDBHP rather than actual DBHP. 

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Please forgive me for adding a modicum of sanity but I have just noticed that the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society has published The Stanier Pacifics by John Jennison. Including postage: £30·50 to non-members. Paul Isles, brace yourself!

http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/lmspacifics.htm

Just received this on Saturday. Absolutely superb and highly recommended.

Never mind  battery boxes on electric locos' (and why do electric locos have battery's; anyhow?)  - get engrossed in this book and look forward to Hornby producing some proper West Coast motive power :)

Please forgive me for adding a modicum of sanity but I have just noticed that the Railway Correspondence and Travel Society has published The Stanier Pacifics by John Jennison. Including postage: £30·50 to non-members. Paul Isles, brace yourself!

http://www.rcts.org.uk/shop/publications/lmspacifics.htm

No doubt this will be popping up on Amazon and eBay before long......

Just received this on Saturday. Absolutely superb and highly recommended.

Never mind  battery boxes on electric locos' (and why do electric locos have battery's; anyhow?)  - get engrossed in this book and look forward to Hornby producing some proper West Coast motive power :)

Apparently it was a little delayed by binding difficulties. I have mine too and agree that it is superb. A book to savour. Wonderful pictures of building a Princess (almost like the “picture stories” in Arthur Mee’s Children’s Encyclopaedia) and wow! the pictures of the gears of the Turbomotive.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Full decoration pics on the Engine Shed Blog

Looks fantastic, can't wait for 6233 or 46229... (I can dream?)

My only gripe is the daylight around the front bogie. Some form of middle insert similar to what Dave Jones was proposing for the King would have been good. OK the reasons are different (the frames on a Duchess do not extend behind the bogie), but some form of reduced daylight is needed. Not beyond the capabilities of a modeller I suppose...

Attention to detail is excellent, especially the representation of the hollow driving axles, with a clear hole in the wheel face on the Hornby model.

• RMweb Gold

Full decoration pics on the Engine Shed Blog

Looks fantastic, can't wait for 6233 or 46229... (I can dream?)

My only gripe is the daylight around the front bogie. Some form of middle insert similar to what Dave Jones was proposing for the King would have been good. OK the reasons are different (the frames on a Duchess do not extend behind the bogie), but some form of reduced daylight is needed. Not beyond the capabilities of a modeller I suppose...

Attention to detail is excellent, especially the representation of the hollow driving axles, with a clear hole in the wheel face on the Hornby model.

Agree though fitting the front steps will go someway towards 'filling' the front side on view. Biggest improvement for me is that there is no daylight visible behind the slide bars. Any thoughts on the shade of maroon?

• RMweb Gold

I hope the shade of red is down to reproduction in the magazines and on screen. Hornby have yet to get MR/LMS/BR Red right. It would be a tragedy if they do not manage to get it right for Sir William!

It does look a little purple\brown similar to their model of 46243. Won't stop me buying it though.

For me Bachmann have got very close with MR1000 and recent LMS liveried Jubilee and Patriot models. Heljans Western was good too

• RMweb Premium

I hope the shade of red is down to reproduction in the magazines and on screen. Hornby have yet to get MR/LMS/BR Red right. It would be a tragedy if they do not manage to get it right for Sir William!

Considering the lengths we have gone to, to ensure accuracy, and the people who have helped with samples (one particular person from this forum in particular), we're happy this is right.

Best wishes,

Paul.

• Like 3