Warley Show. Is It A Combat Sport? Or "Rucksacks! Just Say No!"

Nile_Griffith

I don't recognise the Warley , I attended on Saturday , my first visit to this event its, as depicted in this thread. Yes I agree the NEC staff hollering and shouting before the opening needed a serious kick up the butt and be told to shut up. Rather then queue , I had a nice latte and then joined the queue at around 9:20 , was in the show in 2-3 minutes.

I found no evidence of rucksack jostling , people politely queued at layouts and I had no trouble all during the day getting to the front , it took a little patience. Had no issues talking to demonstrators including my hero , Steve Hewitt , visiting traders , etc. Plenty of space to sit to have lunch at any hour , sharing tables with others.

Yes it was busy especially , 11-2pm , quieted down a lot at 3pm , positively balmy at 4.

Only one instance of BO.

All in all an enjoyable experience.

I've decided next year I will take two rucksacks to wear fore and aft plus for my purchases a 4 wheeled suitcase with wheels like skates that are uncontrollable.

As I won't be able to get close to any layouts or stalls I will carry a big DSLR camera with the longest lens I can find and some Tenna man pads as I won't be able to reach the loo either.

your not joking about the 4 wheeled suitcase with wheels are you ...... I saw two gentlemen with such cases on saturday .......is this a new trend I ask  :O

Unfortunately, the number of visitors might also be somewhat reduced - especially if the show organisers were also to require all attendees to book via a ticketing agency (with non-negotiable "handling fees" on top of the ticket price).

Quite apart from people like me refusing point blank to buy any tickets in this way, a measure like this would also cut out any speculative visitors - people who might find themselves at a loose end on a show day, visit for something to do and get "hooked" on the hobby. OK, there might not be too many of these people, but they do exist (I know - I spoke to some at one model railway show a few years ago).

Anyway, when I've been to model railway shows (including both "Warley" and "Ally Pally"), none of them have been busy enough all day to justify measures like this.

No - some improvements are always likely to be possible - but the basic setup of most model railway shows seems to work reasonably well overall. By all means deal with nuisance issues - access issues - stewarding issues and the like - but I don't think there's anything to be gained by going "ticket only", "timed ticket", "tickets only from one place" (who charge extra fees on top of the ticket price), "one way system" or any of a whole myriad of extreme measures which would be guaranteed to antagonise significant numbers of paying visitors at a time when the organising club is probably keen to get as many people as possible through the door.

Huw.

It is certainly an option with some downsides. The reasons for events such as the London Film and Comic Con going advanced ticket sales only was because they were getting about 5-10,000 people turning up at once to buy on the day, never going to be workable for such a large show (Warley would be considered small fry in comparison to such events though). Theres never likely to be much the Warley club can do about people being inconsiderate, beyond ejecting the worst offenders if they overstep the bounds of acceptable behaviour (ie start a punch up or worse).

None of the points raised in this thread are unique however to Warley ime. Ally Pally can be just as bad, if not worse i've found over the years, Warley (NEC) has a much better option to get there than fighting london traffic for instance. I probably wouldn't have gone Saturday if I'd not been exhibiting, preferring the much (usually) quieter Sunday instead.

your not joking about the 4 wheeled suitcase with wheels are you ...... I saw two gentlemen with such cases on saturday .......is this a new trend I ask  :O

To some extent preferable to a big rucksack. Still less than ideal, but the obstruction is not at face/shoulder height.

You might want to make a spoof tannoy announcement that the Queasyjet check-in is now open and would passengers with suitcases now make their way to the terminal.....

I know Phil well enough to say that he wouldn't be going around shoving anyone unprovoked.

And I am not the sort to to round punching people but what you have said is not how post #2 reads though is it?

I dont know Phil at all (and with his arrogant views I have no intention of getting to know him) but maybe he should write what he actually means so we can understand his views, him putting "any rucksack wearer is fair game" pushed my buttons, both my Son and I wear rucksacks to Warley so Phil was basically saying my Son and I are fair game to be pushed around (which is assault) simply for wearing a rucksack which Phil apparently doesnt like or agree with, in that case may I recommend that Phil organises his own show making it clear that rucksack wearers are not welcome.

Warley is for everyone and we all have to put up with things that annoy us, one of my pet hates is adults pushing kids (or smaller adults) out of the way, something I didnt really notice at the layouts but was obviously prevalent at the Bachmann stand but that one is understandable!

I merely pointed out that anyone assaulting me or my Son for no apparent reason would be treated with the contempt they deserve and I would defend my Son and myself in any way I see fit, of course if Phil kept his hands to himself then I wouldnt have any need to protect my Son or myself would I.

Sod it .....forget the backpack.........next year I'm going to sport a pair of 'John Wayne's saddlebags'!

Now that ought to cause a stir....

Next year I am going to take 2 rucksacks, one on my back and one round the front, I wont bother being ultra careful to take care and look out for others as I normally do and will be swinging around without any consideration for anyone else, if I am going to be accused of something then I may as well play up to the part.

Oh and wearing the rucksacks in this style will make me easy to identify so dont forget to introduce yourself!

Edit-

woodenhead beat me to it!

I can see a market for a new device to be added to wearers of large packs on their backs.

A speaker mounted on the rear of said back pack, connected to a pushbutton.

When the button is pressed......

"ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing. ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing so get out of my way di--head........"

Cheers,

Mick

I agree entirely, I hope you dont mind my slight edit.

And you wonder why the vast majority of the general public think that railway enthusiasts are *insert derogatory insult here*?

A random view of this thread by an outsider would soon jump to their own conclusion that we are all a bunch of Roy Croppers.

Next year this should be the only bag allowed in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Funny-Roy-Cropper-Coronation-Street-Shopper-Bag-For-Life-Perfect-Xmas-Gift-/371780406647?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Reading this thread makes me regret that I never stopped going to exhibitions over 20 years ago, clearly they're far more entertaining than they used to be! Can you buy tickets just to watch the fights between rucksack users and non-rucksack wearers? That sounds much more fun than t;e layouts.

Can't this thread just roll over and die now? My bad for bothering to read through it and extending it by adding this post. My time would have been far more rewardingly spent brewing a pot of coffee and tucking into a Danish pastry. Some of you need to grow up, assuming you ever left the playground in the first place.

:no:

And I am not the sort to to round punching people but what you have said is not how post #2 reads though is it?

I dont know Phil at all (and with his arrogant views I have no intention of getting to know him) but maybe he should write what he actually means so we can understand his views, him putting "any rucksack wearer is fair game" pushed my buttons, both my Son and I wear rucksacks to Warley so Phil was basically saying my Son and I are fair game to be pushed around (which is assault) simply for wearing a rucksack which Phil apparently doesnt like or agree with, in that case may I recommend that Phil organises his own show making it clear that rucksack wearers are not welcome.

Warley is for everyone and we all have to put up with things that annoy us, one of my pet hates is adults pushing kids (or smaller adults) out of the way, something I didnt really notice at the layouts but was obviously prevalent at the Bachmann stand but that one is understandable!

I merely pointed out that anyone assaulting me or my Son for no apparent reason would be treated with the contempt they deserve and I would defend my Son and myself in any way I see fit, of course if Phil kept his hands to himself then I wouldnt have any need to protect my Son or myself would I.

Spun round so I can get a bit more power behind my punch! 

Next year I am going to take 2 rucksacks, one on my back and one round the front, I wont bother being ultra careful to take care and look out for others as I normally do and will be swinging around without any consideration for anyone else, if I am going to be accused of something then I may as well play up to the part.

Oh and wearing the rucksacks in this style will make me easy to identify so dont forget to introduce yourself!

Edit-

woodenhead beat me to it!

Now you are just coming across as thoroughly unpleasant and a parody of what you are claiming to dislike.

I'm closing the topic off now.

Archived