Warley Show. Is It A Combat Sport? Or "Rucksacks! Just Say No!"

Nile_Griffith

My old 70 litre backpack is still in the loft somewhere. That along with the tent and bedroll strapped to the outside should be enough to cover accommodation, supplies, plenty of space for purchases, and clear away multiple punters at the same time. What date is it next year so I can find it out and get it aired?

No, the point is that you don't air it.  The musty smell is part of the exhibition experience.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

I don't need a free ticket. What I did was nothing special- just what the taxpayers paid for me to be trained to do.

I think one problem with the NEC is as venue it has grown significantly since first opening (was it 1977?) and has now simply outgrown the surrounding infrastructure. Certainly International could do with much wider platforms to cope with the crowds but that is down to Network Rail's ability to provide.

And get Midland Trains and X-country to lengthen there trains.

And get Midland Trains and X-country to lengthen there trains.

Getting the platforms raised so that getting onto Voyagers/Pendolinos on a wheelchair/scooter isn't so hard. Steep enough my scooter gets stuck half way up with the Pendolino, and grounds on the Voyager (which was put on on Sunday).

• RMweb Premium

As said by Rab

Let's move on.

Having had two great days at Warley with my Layout Oil Drum with support from many of the Stafford members all of them enjoyed the exhibition and will all be there again next year.

Of to Manchester this weekend to help run another of the Stafford club members run his layout Crimson Road and man the the Stafford club stand.

Then straight after Christmas it will soon be Stafford's turn with our exhibition the first full weekend in February.

Why do we do it, because we enjoy it

Terry

• RMweb Premium

I was there both days on Bleach Green and the Sunday was definitely quieter and more relaxed, so I'd recommend going on the Sunday if possible.

Shush they will all turn up on Sunday and ruin a nice peaceful day with their impoliteness, backpacks and smelly coats. :secret:

Smelly coats, you might have had a shower before leaving home but you put on your lucky exhibition coat that you have worn every year to Warley and mummy/wifey has never washed it for you. How many people do you see at nearly every exhibition you go to and always wear the same coat come rain or shine? :swoon:

• RMweb Premium

I can see a market for a new device to be added to wearers of large packs on their backs.

A speaker mounted on the rear of said back pack, connected to a pushbutton.

When the button is pressed......

"ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing. ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing........"

Cheers,

Mick

I've just seen this thread and would like to add my rant

I've been into model railways since 2007 so 10 years on this was my third time to Warley

I'd bought the weekend ticket so I could get in early and on Sunday decided to do just that

Overall most railway exhibitions are a wrestle to get near the stands or near a layout but most of the time is enjoyable

This year was the worst exhibition ever when it came to crowds of people, most were hell bent on moving as quickly as possible regardless of who was in the way

I had a bag on my back and was careful of who or what was around me but in the end one bloke knock me flying and I just lost it

Now I think most of us are all the same ignorant, arrogant bunch of people and stop at nothing to get the best deal

So now I've had my rant I'm not going next year and I'll stick to the events I know and enjoy

Next year I think they should cap the number of people let in and control the numbers

It would help it be a more enjoyable weekend

A question from someone who has never been but always fancied making the trip. How crowded is Warley compared to other big shows? Say, Glasgow on the Saturday as one I know well. Looking at videos of this year's show it didn't look as crowded as I expected but then that might be because people filmed it early before it got busy.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it's time for this thread to be locked.

It seems to be stuck in a loop consisting of

rucksacks, loos and overcrowded/inadequate trains.

Here we go again. Some no doubt well intentioned person asking for a thread to be locked. To me this is an entertaining thread and in any case it is for the real moderators to decide.

Nothing personal Rab but please don't be suggesting to everyone when to stop a discussion. If you have lost interest in the thread please read some of the many other threads instead.

Cheers

Colin

Yet when I look at the age of most people attending shows, I worry that any attempt to resort to physical violence, including swinging a rucksack, is only likely to lead to a heart attack, or something like a scene from "Last of the summer wine".

HaHaHa... I know there is a serious message in your post t-b-g but that made me laugh out loud! ..

• RMweb Premium

Here we go again. Some no doubt well intentioned person asking for a thread to be locked. To me this is an entertaining thread and in any case it is for the real moderators to decide.

Nothing personal Rab but please don't be suggesting to everyone when to stop a discussion. If you have lost interest in the thread please read some of the many other threads instead.

Cheers

Colin

It was meant as a tongue in cheek comment,

but as is usual with the written word,

that did not come over clear enough in what was said.

Next year I think they should cap the number of people let in and control the numbers

Please no! I can see the ranting threads now if numbers are limited:

I didn't get one and am outraged

I did get one but was outraged it was not for the time slot I wanted

I got one but my mate bill didn't

I'm outraged the tickets are now for sale on eBay at a premium

Why don't they get a bigger venue

Etc etc con't p96. Ad nauseam ( and that's before BO issues)

David

I've just seen this thread and would like to add my rant

I've been into model railways since 2007 so 10 years on this was my third time to Warley

I'd bought the weekend ticket so I could get in early and on Sunday decided to do just that

Overall most railway exhibitions are a wrestle to get near the stands or near a layout but most of the time is enjoyable

This year was the worst exhibition ever when it came to crowds of people, most were hell bent on moving as quickly as possible regardless of who was in the way

I had a bag on my back and was careful of who or what was around me but in the end one bloke knock me flying and I just lost it

Now I think most of us are all the same ignorant, arrogant bunch of people and stop at nothing to get the best deal

So now I've had my rant I'm not going next year and I'll stick to the events I know and enjoy

If they were going to go down roads like that, then they'd be more likely to make the show pre-sale ticket only (like a lot of large events (such as ComicCons held in London for instnace) are heading due to the difficulty of dealing with crowds queing to get in etc). In some ways that would make it easier to manage the crowds and other logistics as the number of visitors would be a known factor ahead of the start of the show.

• RMweb Premium

I can see a market for a new device to be added to wearers of large packs on their backs.

"ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing. ATTENTION - this rucksack is reversing........"

Cheers,

Mick

Will the rucksack need to be yellow ?

• RMweb Premium

A question from someone who has never been but always fancied making the trip. How crowded is Warley compared to other big shows? Say, Glasgow on the Saturday as one I know well. Looking at videos of this year's show it didn't look as crowded as I expected but then that might be because people filmed it early before it got busy.

I have both exhibited and visited as punter to both Alley Palley Glasgow many times, and it's pretty much the same.

It's called being successful

If you think Warley is busy try going to the Classic Car Show or the Good Food Show both at the NEC that's just the same.

Will it stop me going to thease shows - NO

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

Ally Pally can get very busy but it usually seems rather more polite and laid back than the Warley show.  This could be a consequence of being held in a hall with something of its own atmosphere rather than being in a giant tin shed and the way it's laid out effectively divided into two adjacent parts plus some real empty space (albeit without sufficient seats) does make a difference I think.  But you still get rucksacks although the toilets are invariably much, much, cleaner than those at the NEC.

But I suspect visitor numbers overall might be less than those to Warley and the nearest station does have a frequent service to the Cross so although crowds develop on the platform they clear at frequent intervals and standing for a  few minutes on the train - if necessary - is no hardship plus there is a frequent (TfL) 'bus service up & down the hill in both directions in addition to the free shuttle 'buses.  Actually the journey to Ally Pally for me involves 3 changes of train, including crossing part of London, plus a 'bus ride up the hill whereas if I park in Reading I can get a direct train to International making that a far more convenient, and quicker, journey despite Ally Pally being much nearer to home.

Glasgow can be busy, although not in the same way as Warley, plus it has the advantage of being held over 3 days, giving a greater choice of when to attend. I have been going to Glasgow since 1985; Yes, wearing on my back my small rucksack. In over 30 years I have never been involved in any contretemps with anybody, either through me bashing them or them bashing me. I now realise however that I may actually be a social pariah who should not be allowed into any model railway exhibition ever again. Thankfully most of us, whether rucksack-wearers or not, know how to behave appropriately, and are able to live and let live.  

Cheers,

Mick

Perhaps we should ask Hornby to add this to the TTS range.

I've decided next year I will take two rucksacks to wear fore and aft plus for my purchases a 4 wheeled suitcase with wheels like skates that are uncontrollable.

As I won't be able to get close to any layouts or stalls I will carry a big DSLR camera with the longest lens I can find and some Tenna man pads as I won't be able to reach the loo either.

• RMweb Gold

If they were going to go down roads like that, then they'd be more likely to make the show pre-sale ticket only (like a lot of large events (such as ComicCons held in London for instnace) are heading due to the difficulty of dealing with crowds queing to get in etc). In some ways that would make it easier to manage the crowds and other logistics as the number of visitors would be a known factor ahead of the start of the show.

Unfortunately, the number of visitors might also be somewhat reduced - especially if the show organisers were also to require all attendees to book via a ticketing agency (with non-negotiable "handling fees" on top of the ticket price).

Quite apart from people like me refusing point blank to buy any tickets in this way, a measure like this would also cut out any speculative visitors - people who might find themselves at a loose end on a show day, visit for something to do and get "hooked" on the hobby. OK, there might not be too many of these people, but they do exist (I know - I spoke to some at one model railway show a few years ago).

Anyway, when I've been to model railway shows (including both "Warley" and "Ally Pally"), none of them have been busy enough all day to justify measures like this.

No - some improvements are always likely to be possible - but the basic setup of most model railway shows seems to work reasonably well overall. By all means deal with nuisance issues - access issues - stewarding issues and the like - but I don't think there's anything to be gained by going "ticket only", "timed ticket", "tickets only from one place" (who charge extra fees on top of the ticket price), "one way system" or any of a whole myriad of extreme measures which would be guaranteed to antagonise significant numbers of paying visitors at a time when the organising club is probably keen to get as many people as possible through the door.

Huw.

Archived