Warley Show. Is It A Combat Sport? Or "Rucksacks! Just Say No!"

Nile_Griffith

Because it's not obvious as the statement "Other types of exhibitions aren't plagued by them" isn't accurate. There were plenty of rucksacks at the NEC classic car show. You can play spot the backpack here (I've marked the ones I could see easily):

attachicon.gifnecpano.jpg

That was, even at £25 a ticket, easily as crowded as any model railway show. You'll also find rucksacks worn by people in every city centre. It's not the rucksack, it's a small number of people's inability to behave appropriately while wearing them, i.e. carrying them by the top handle.

Banning the things means you'll be turning people away at the door unless storage arrangements have been made. That's another nightmare task for the organisers and another angry thread from those who weren't let in.

This doesn't solve the problem of people barging in infront of others, interrupting conversations, shoving around at sales stands or simply being smelly. Anyone volunteering to perform a sniff test at the door? :no:

Here's a solution, charge £25 a ticket (like the Classic Car Show) , it  will generate the same revenue but there will be fewer visitors and therefore more space to avoid the rucksacks. Job done.

Now stand back to dodge the expected flack.

Here's a solution, charge £25 a ticket (like the Classic Car Show) , it  will generate the same revenue but there will be fewer visitors and therefore more space to avoid the rucksacks. Job done.

Now stand back to dodge the expected flack.

Excellent idea, gets my vote but it means I will only have a rucksack and 3 bags instead of 4 bags!

• Administrators

I strongly resent being branded as some kind of anti-social moron by some of the holier-than-thou contributors to this topic, and if one of the self-appointed rucksack police such as Mr Parker had interfered with my belongings or person I would certainly have reacted in a robust but non-violent way.

So, if I'm smacked with a rucksack in a crowd, I must not touch the offending item, indeed I'm presumably meant to be grateful. If not, I'll be shouted at or beaten up. Both of which are perfectly acceptable apparently.

For the record, I wear a rucksack to shows, but in a crowd, most of the time in the hall, I carry it like this.

P_20161128_202528~2.jpg

Far from being "self appointed rucksack police", I suggested earlier in this thread both that it was impossible to police anyone's behavior, also banning rucksacks from shows was impractical. All I'm saying, along with my others such as the OP, is that wearing them in a crowded space can cause problems. Not sure how this is controversial.

Never mind, I'll avoid leaving the safety of inside the barriers in the future (or better still not go in the hall at all) for fear of feeling the wrath of our backpack swinging overlords.

When you've been whalloped by a rucksack then shoving back seems acceptable to me.

You never mentioned being hit first though did you!

What you wrote was that any rucksack not being carried was fair game which is quite different!

Rucksack using attendee here. I went on Saturday and only scored one direct hit with my bag when an Irish gentleman and I backed into each other by the Bachmann stand. I apologised, he apologised, no damage done as it was a low speed shunt and we decided that it was a racing incident rather than needing a stewards adjudication. I'm minded to suggest that if ones preconception of the exhibition is that it's going to be a hellish scrum then you'll see every incident through that filter and end up looking for hostility where none exists.

I must be living in a parallel universe since I too was there on Saturday (and confess to wearing a with a small soft rucksack) between 0915 and 1300. I had no problems whatsoever with behaviour, manners, barging etc. and all 'close encounters' with other visitors were amicable and courteous!

I noted on another thread that the 'earlybird' half-hour is great (I am lucky in that we have friends in Sutton Coldfield so was able to easily get to the NEC for the 'advance' 30 minutes) and managed to have most of the large layouts (Billingham, Grantham, Loftus Road, Monsal Dale, etc.) almost to myself! I learned previously that if you want to do this head to the farthest point in the Hall on arrival and work your way back again as the crowds increase.

Some sales stands were busy, however, I managed to purchase the items I had listed prior to the exhibition, look at the new releases, and have a look at books, artifacts etc. in relative comfort.

I am always mindful that Warley is the biggest show and hence expect large crowds. Other exhibitions I have attended this year have seemed more 'congested' and given the nature of Warley I am pretty happy with the overall 'experience'.

Perhaps my tolerance levels are higher?

Here is your entire post that annoyed me-

All shows are a bit like this. Lots of people jostling to see something - either layout or trade stand. Quite a few seem to have abandonded any sort of manners a long while ago. They get into a frenzy of excitement at the sight of a new toy available for sale and can't control themselves.

Those that anoy me the most are the ones who walk up to me when I'm talking to someone from behind my display and imediatly launch into a "conversation". They can't comprehend that there is anyone else in the world other than them, and most get a bit sniffy when I ignore them to carry on the conversation I was having. Sadly, the other person tends to feel awkward and make an early exit leaving me with the idiot.

I've started to make a point of shoving rucksucks not being carried by the top handle when in crowds. They are fair game.

The important bit is the last sentence but can you point out where it says you have to be hit first before pushing peoples rucksacks?

I am always mindful that Warley is the biggest show and hence expect large crowds. Other exhibitions I have attended this year have seemed more 'congested' and given the nature of Warley I am pretty happy with the overall 'experience'.

Perhaps my tolerance levels are higher?

Or perhaps you are just being realistic!

Prams can be left home and babies with mother while father and friends get to see the trains. Why anybody would take a baby to a train show is beyond me anyway, yet you see them held high with father trying to get their attention and going Choo Choo, as though Junior will understand. Junior will never ask for a train set at Christmas as even at a young age such things are from another time

What if you are mother?

• Administrators

You never mentioned being hit first though did you!

What you wrote was that any rucksack not being carried was fair game which is quite different!

No one has time to go around shoving rucksacks at shows just for the fun of it. However after your threats, I'll be even more circumspect and avoid any contact with them at all in future.

So, if I'm smacked with a rucksack in a crowd, I must not touch the offending item, indeed I'm presumably meant to be grateful. If not, I'll be shouted at or beaten up. Both of which are perfectly acceptable apparently.

For the record, I wear a rucksack to shows, but in a crowd, most of the time in the hall, I carry it like this.

attachicon.gifP_20161128_202528~2.jpg

Far from being "self appointed rucksack police", I suggested earlier in this thread both that it was impossible to police anyone's behavior, also banning rucksacks from shows was impractical. All I'm saying, along with my others such as the OP, is that wearing them in a crowded space can cause problems. Not sure how this is controversial.

Never mind, I'll avoid leaving the safety of inside the barriers in the future (or better still not go in the hall at all) for fear of feeling the wrath of our backpack swinging overlords.

Have a look at post 81 (or your post 2 which is quoted entirely within my post 81) and point to where you state you have to be hit first before retaliating?

\would you 'push back' if it was a bag or any other item that hit you or is it just rucksacks which are fair game?

It must have annoyed you. You threatened to beat me, and anyone who touches you bag, up.

But you threatening to push me and my son around simply because we were wearing rucksacks is acceptable is it, righto then!

I threatened to hit you after you stated you would push me and my son around simply because we were wearing rucksacks, therefore if you kept your hands to yourself me reaction wouldnt happen would it!

Can you answer the question I have asked you three times now, it isnt difficult!

After reading this thread I went on Facebook and it pushed this ad to me

https://www.facebook.com/thewolffepack/videos/473220099515284/

Cant see that cord lasting very long!

how is the cord routed through the shoulder, I can see it wearing through quite quickly as well.

Overall not a bad idea though.

Is there any possibility that the protagonists in this debate could square up to one another in the middle, so that the rest of the forum can form a ring round them, and chant "Fight! Fight! Fight!" In the approved playground fashion?

And, be quick about it, before the prefects turn up and spoil the whole thing!

Kevin

Is there any possibility that the protagonists in this debate could square up to one another in the middle, so that the rest of the forum can form a ring round them, and chant "Fight! Fight! Fight!" In the approved playground fashion?

And, be quick about it, before the prefects turn up and spoil the whole thing!

Kevin

Excellent idea, can I bring my rucksack?

I've started to make a point of shoving rucksucks not being carried by the top handle when in crowds. They are fair game.

Phil, I'm sure you meant if you were hit first otherwise technically that would constitute a common assault, and we wouldn't want that at all would we.

Like you, I carry mine by the handle........handy for swinging about ones head when threatend, especially if full of whitemetal kits!

As an aside, my back pack is no where near as big as some of the guts I regularly see at shows, probably a lot easier to carry as well!

• Administrators

But you threatening to push me and my son around simply because we were wearing rucksacks is acceptable is it, righto then!

I threatened to hit you after you stated you would push me and my son around simply because we were wearing rucksacks, therefore if you kept your hands to yourself me reaction wouldnt happen would it!

Can you answer the question I have asked you three times now, it isnt difficult!

As I said in post 84, I'm not going around shoving backpacks randomly. No-one is. You'd spend all day doing that and never see the layouts. My original post was partly jokey and I admit I wish I'd never bothered getting involved.

On the other hand, you have said that if I do, I'll be beaten up. A disproportionate response and one that I'll bear in mind at future shows.

attachicon.gifP_20161128_202528~2.jpg

As royaloak has pointed out your original post made no mention of being hit by a rucksack, instead it was crystal clear that anyone wearing a rucksack could expect to be pushed by you. I found that to be a disgraceful thing to say. Thanks to comments like yours, and some of the others here, I am now seriously considering whether to bother visiting Warley again. 

As I said in post 84, I'm not going around shoving backpacks randomly. No-one is. You'd spend all day doing that and never see the layouts. My original post was partly jokey and I admit I wish I'd never bothered getting involved.

On the other hand, you have said that if I do, I'll be beaten up. A disproportionate response and one that I'll bear in mind at future shows.

Nope, after reading what you wrote in post #2 about assaulting me and my Son simply for wearing rucksacks I informed you that I would retaliate/ protect my Son and how I would do it by rearranging your teeth, something I can easily do with one punch, hardly 'beaten up'!

But please do keep exaggerating what I said to try and back your juvenile, abusive point up.  

How would you react if somebody, for no apparent, started pushing your children around in front of you?

Same thread.. different year.

Warley is too big..

Its a pain in the ar8e to get to.

Its a pain in the ar8e while ya there...

And its a pain in the ar8e to get home.

It just aint worth it

Wigan, Railex, Glasgow etc.. are about as big as exhibitions need to be.

IMHO of course.

And.. if you think the annual sad-act (my wifes description) stampede for Bachmann goodies is, well, sad, try the Chelsea Flower Show on sell-off Saturday!!... although it does smell nicer. But try stuffing 4 pots of Verbena Bonariensis into a rucksack - it cant be done trust me.

The real irony is the plants still cost more than ya local garden centre - same at Warley - there will always be a mark up on tinternet prices due to the captive audience. There seems to be this strange compulsion to buy "at Warley" at whatever cost..... and stuff it into a rucksack.. obviously.

The selfish, smelly, uncouth, stupid and downright ignorant are found in every walk of life - model railway exhibitions are no exception. As I work with a fair few I've slowly learnt to put up with those I come across in my leisure time - you have to.

And of course being perfect myself carries its own burden....... :onthequiet:  :angel:

The real irony is the plants still cost more than ya local garden centre - same at Warley - there will always be a mark up on tinternet prices due to the captive audience. There seems to be this strange compulsion to buy "at Warley" at whatever cost..... and stuff it into a rucksack.. obviously.

And of course being perfect myself carries its own burden....... :onthequiet:  :angel:

I managed to nab some real bargains (at least in my eyes), blue thumper for £70 has to be the best.

I have never been perfect, but my right hook makes up for any shortcomings.

Archived