Bachmann 2017 range

Neal Ball

I wouldn't ask Bachmann anything about punctuation Andy, they haven't even mastered how to use the apostrophe yet!

My old school was good at teaching the correct use of apostrophes.  They would even give you extra time to learn if you got it wrong (they called it detention).

Mind you, it was the Stationers' Company's School.......

Unapologetic thread fast forward, re-tooled Thompson coaches...when?

I don't do it myself as it is an in my opinion an irrelevance, wishlisting. Happy to be happy with what the manufacturers announce.

Barwell are literally doing the same as the frothy! Announce summat, don't/can't/won't deliver. Or even update on the shizzle you say you're doing...Bad form.

I'm more than happy with the products I've got from Bachmann, but, it's getting ridiculous.

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no-one's brought up the possibility of producing an ex-Chatham 4-4-0 to go with their birdcage stock.

As one of the D class belongs to the National Collection, Locomotion might announce one as part of their limited edition range.

Bachmann could derive a D1, E, E1, and L on that basis ...

Or steal one of Triang-Hornby's classics and go for a Southern Rly L1!

The SECR - SR development series of very successful 4-4-0 classes is a good example of what seems to have 'dropped off' the enthusiast radar over the past few years. The Wainwright D alone should sell on good looks, alongside its peers such as the Gladstone, Jumbo, Dunalastair, 901; all of them second only to the Stirling single for perfection of Victorian steam express loco appearance.

• RMweb Premium

Just thinking outside the box:

Class 230 (D Train)  which also allows the LT D78 stock

Maybe... but I suspect with lead times from idea to production Bachmann would want to wait until there is a buyer/operator for a series of units before going for it. otherwise it might have been abandoned as a project before the model appears, somewhat reducing sales.

• RMweb Premium

I have always had severe doubts about the recycled D Stock project.  I cannot see it going much past the prototype and the rest will be sent for scrap where they should have gone in the first place.

• RMweb Premium

The Wainwright D alone should sell on good looks, alongside its peers such as the Gladstone, Jumbo, Dunalastair, 901; all of them second only to the Stirling single for perfection of Victorian steam express loco appearance.

Given its sheer loveliness, I remain astonished that Locomotion have not commissioned the D from Bachmann yet. At one time they seemed to be working their way through the 4-4-0s in their collection, one from each group, but this stopped aftr the (beautifully finished) GCR Director. Very strange, especially since Bachmann have form on SECR livery. I wonder if Hornby will colonise the SECR lineage after their H flies off the shelves.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed I would happily take a couple of any ex LBSC tank, especially anything whose class name begins with a D or an E to the same standard as the E4.  Alternatively could Bachmann, now that they have perfected tiny motors in the Wickham Trolley have a go at a brand new Terrier or a P class?

I have heard previously rumours of another AC electric MU "being looked at" with both classes 310 and 323 being mentioned.  Of the two I would have thought the 323 would be the simpler to bring forward with three cars, two identical driving bodyshells and would be at a more affordable level than a 310, so it'll be interesting if the rumours develop into reality.

​There was also a rumour the Class 90 was being developed with provision to make an 87, so in the light of the delayed development of the 90 and Hornby's announcement it'll be interesting if Dave Jones' "Chinese whisper" about two companies planning the 86 and 87 does turn out to be Bachmann and they break cover in January.

it would be interesting to know how Bachmann feel sales of the Class 85 have been so far . 

given the limitations that the AL1-AL5 classes offer in terms of liveries would they hit up on another in the AL1-AL4 range or move up to the AL6/Class 86 with so many potential variants to keep them going for generations?

or will Hornbys recent Class 87 announcement kick start a race to the bottom from manufacturers to now try and bag the remaining AC classes 81,82,83,84 or 86 for new models?

it would be interesting to know how Bachmann feel sales of the Class 85 have been so far .

given the limitations that the AL1-AL5 classes offer in terms of liveries would they hit up on another in the AL1-AL4 range or move up to the AL6/Class 86 with so many potential variants to keep them going for generations?

or will Hornbys recent Class 87 announcement kick start a race to the bottom from manufacturers to now try and bag the remaining AC classes 81,82,83,84 or 86 for new models?

I imagine the 81-84 would offer thin pickings: they were deliberately designed to look similar to each other and the 85, so I'm guessing they would be more likely to find homes with modellers of specific scenes, but not so many would be sold to those of us whose attention is caught by "something different". They were niche classes in a field - AC electrics - which, for better or worse, itself seems to generate much less interest than diesels.

So my guess is the fight will be over the 86, 87 and maybe the 90.

Paul

An 84, despite being the most lemon flavoured of the early AC classes, does at least offer an NRM tie-in opportunity.  That said, the 83, which lasted quite a while and ran in Intercity Exec livery on carriage pilot duties out of Euston, has an example that has been restored to a very nice condition in early livery and has been out a fair bit as a static exhibit, so is a bit of a celebrity.

I know the early AC classes are superficially similar, but so are GWR kettles and that's never stopped the collectors.  To a collector I'm sure a Grange looks just as similar to a Hall as the 81 does to the 85  There are significant differences between the early AC classes, enough to make them distinct - only classes 81 and 85 shared the same wheelbase and bogie design, some of the other minor classes were noticeably shorter for example.  All that said I would hazard a punt that the next pioneer AC would probably be an 81 (third time lucky...) with an 83 as a possible rank outsider based on livery options as a carriage pilot.

When you consider what has been produced in rtr in recent years, you'd have to say the Class 81 was longer lived, more numerous and successful than a number of classes modelled. I have a soft spot for them from train spotting in Birmingham in the early 80s. Saw the entire class save the one scrapped post an accident. Im those days, they ran services that are now delivered by anonymous EMUs....

Guest spet0114

An 84, despite being the most lemon flavoured of the early AC classes, does at least offer an NRM tie-in opportunity.

It's just a bit of a shame that the NRM are trying to get rid of it.....

I r

it would be interesting to know how Bachmann feel sales of the Class 85 have been so far . 

given the limitations that the AL1-AL5 classes offer in terms of liveries would they hit up on another in the AL1-AL4 range or move up to the AL6/Class 86 with so many potential variants to keep them going for generations?

or will Hornbys recent Class 87 announcement kick start a race to the bottom from manufacturers to now try and bag the remaining AC classes 81,82,83,84 or 86 for new models?

I recall Andy York saying that sales of the 85 were steady rather than spectacular. Why shouldn’t the AL1s to 4s sell? Perhaps not quite as well as the more familiar AC electrics but they were probably a bit more high-profile than the third-rail DC locos.

The DCC-friendly re-chassis for the J39 was announced quite a while back but this is the first time I've seen any detailed info re numbers etc.

John

Definitely old news - its been on Bachmann's own website for a few years at least.

• RMweb Gold

An 84, despite being the most lemon flavoured of the early AC classes, does at least offer an NRM tie-in opportunity.  

I believe that the NRM are in the process of transferring ('de-accession') the 84 out of the National Collection  - https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/84001-next-to-be-de-accessioned.819991/

Archived