Class 101 centre trailer (TS, TC) and DMBS

GWR Large Prairie 2-6-2T

GCR brake van

SECR brake van

Upgrades:

Lord Nelson (with new chassis)

170 (with new chassis)

Reliveries:

Porthole carriages in maroon and blue/grey (if applicable)

GWR 150/2

2017 offers several possible anniversaries for train packs and locos:

20th anniversary of the completion of BR's privatisation, the sale of Railfreight Distribution - RfD 47 + wagons

50th anniversary of the final regular Southern Region steam services - could be weathered, chalked up Std 4 (or 5)with Bulleid and Mk1 carriages

Bachmann have shot themselves in the foot by announcing models so far ahead of release that they have now become a standing joke.

They scaled back their releases for the last two years to "clear the backlog" but seem to have made little progress to deliver new models that have been announced for many years. 

158 DMU, Mk2's, DBSO are so overdue it's just not funny anymore.

They do seem to have improved the throughput of re-liveries of existing models - example : Lots of Class 47's and 37's have appeared in the last 12 months, so at least some part of the laxative is working.

• RMweb Gold

50th anniversary of the final regular Southern Region steam services - could be weathered, chalked up Std 4 (or 5)with Bulleid and Mk1 carriages

I raised the significance of 2017 & 2018 dates to Hornby at the Q&A on Saturday at Warley, considering they have the Bulleid full house for 2017 they could exploit it, but Bachmann have the range to cover the other end of Southern steam survivors including (41/73/75/76/80/82xxx)classes), though if these several of the well known last survivors they have already done (75074/76069/82019/29), however 41298 might be a nice one, being a late survivor, and only just been restored for the first time since, however a really nice one, ok it only made 1966, would be 77014.

GWR 150/2

Unlikely I'd have thought as it would need the tooling to be modified (Black out toilet window, fitment of tanks on chassis, removal of handrails) to make it accurate. I'd still like to see an FGW Local Lines or Wessex Trains version produced one day, and considering the intricate detail printed onto the sides of the LUL 66s, Dapols DRS 68 & Realtracks 143, the 'It's too difficult' excuse is wearing a little thin.

More liveries for the 47s, Possible 1 or 2 liveries for the 150 - Central, Anglia, Silverlink? New liveries on the Mk1s & 2s.

Unlikely I'd have thought as it would need the tooling to be modified (Black out toilet window, fitment of tanks on chassis, removal of handrails) to make it accurate. I'd still like to see an FGW Local Lines or Wessex Trains version produced one day, and considering the intricate detail printed onto the sides of the LUL 66s, Dapols DRS 68 & Realtracks 143, the 'It's too difficult' excuse is wearing a little thin.

More liveries for the 47s, Possible 1 or 2 liveries for the 150 - Central, Anglia, Silverlink? New liveries on the Mk1s & 2s.

A 150/1 in the original Centro livery without the white stripes either side of the entrance doors, and "Regional Railways" branding would be nice but I suspect unlikely given the newly retooled 150/2 was produced in the 1999-2006 version of the livery.  Agree with the Anglia version too, I always thought it strange the Anglia 150s had a nicer livery than the main line Mk2 rakes which I always thought looked sickly in their NBC style turquoise-green with a white stripe.

One livery for the 150/2 is of course the original Provincial running man livery in which they were delivered.  Quite nice and would complement the 150/1 in the same colours.

• RMweb Premium

I'd no idea the GWR 150/2s were heavily modified.

Did consider mentioning a Silverlink 150/1 as it's only been produced as a Collectors' Club edition in 2009, but could be reissued as running on FGW minus Silverlink logo http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0ahUKEwjA0Zr8ztfQAhUnIMAKHb3kBI8QFghMMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Frailwayherald.com%2Fmagazine%2Fdownload%2F119&usg=AFQjCNG5uZ11pbTsXLKrNhoybBfQ-ngT8w see page 17 of PDF

or with FGW logo http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=238542

or with London Overground branding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_150#/media/File:150120_at_Gospel_Oak.jpg

Just looking at another thread on N and there was the new Duchess, I wonder if Hornby's retooling of their OO model was to stop an obvious upscaling of their N model by Bachmann

It could be one reason. Hornby has seen some of its old models produced by others in more modern form. You could see the Duchess as a sort of fighting retreat. On the other hand, there have been plenty of requests for an upgrade and complaints that the LMS has been neglected of late. Then there is the link between the Duchess and the 87 – both top West Coast power in their day. There could be a desire to show that Hornby is now able to produce top-link power after the flawed design clever stuff such as the Star, P2 and (especially relevant) DoG.

Who knows? Any or all of these reasons and others we haven’t even thought of.

It was probably mentioned before but didn't Bachmann announce last year that all new releases would appear in the lifetime of the catalogue (12-18 months)? If that is the case I would expect another small program of new tooling which they can actually deliver in this timetable while they continue to work on the backlog.

I have my collectors club mag and it is disappointing to see the class 90 hasn't moved along the queue at all along with some other stuff I am interested in. Has the extra investment in staffing made that much difference?

Mark

• RMweb Premium

There are lots of variations of their existing models that have never been produced. The LMS Crimson Compound, is indeed one of them. Another one is a blue 108 dmu with roof head ode panel, they did make it as a limited release through Modelzone. Problems is prices are now stratospheric all compared to when these models originally produced limiting their viability I think.

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at another thread on N and there was the new Duchess, I wonder if Hornby's retooling of their OO model was to stop an obvious upscaling of their N model by Bachmann

I'm not convinced that Hornby's existing Duchess was poor enough to tempt Bachmann to go up against it with a new and (by implication) substantially more expensive model.

I'd also expect to see a somewhat simplified Duchess, based on Hornby's old tooling, appear under the Railroad banner in a year or two.

John

• RMweb Premium

I'm not convinced that Hornby's existing Duchess was poor enough to tempt Bachmann to go up against it with a new and (by implication) substantially more expensive model.

I'd also expect to see a somewhat simplified Duchess, based on Hornby's old tooling, appear under the Railroad banner in a year or two.

John

Duplication has been tried several times - the BR standard 4-6-0 being one the springs to mind. All that happened was the profits got split between two manufacturers causing BOTH manufacturers to suffer from depressed sales rather than generating increased sales overall.

Models are not like other consumer purchases - if your model requires a particular loco or stock due to the locality or era being presented then you cannot just go round substituting for something else (e.g. a Black 5 versus a Standard 5)

The only cases where duplication works is where there is a step change in the product being offered - e.g. a 1980s era model in Hornbys railroad range going up against a new super detailed offering from Bachmann for example.

The Duchess - for all its flaws is still firmly in the 'super detailed section of the market and as such its a waste of money for anyone to duplicate Hornbys efforts in 00, particularly given their recent announcement to give it a makeover.

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann have several long-established items, in and out of their current portfolio, which are fare more vulnerable to being gazumped by Hornby than the Hornby Duchess was from the opposite direction.

Especially glaring examples in need of full retooling are the GWR Manor and Mogul and the SR Lord Nelson. Following the Ivatt tank, just a DCC chassis won't cut the mustard at current price levels.

The last, in particular, must surely represent an itch that Hornby will have been finding hard to resist scratching since launching their Schools and King Arthurs. 

IMHO Bachmann are in danger of being outflanked on the last remaining Big, Green and Named SR loco which would leave them largely excluded from a lucrative segment of the market.

The well-known "not-really-interested-in-SR" attitude of the former Bachmann management made the company very late to the Southern "party" despite the long-term popularity of their N Class mogul and they will be in danger of consigning themselves to something of a Bluebell "ghetto" if they don't do something big soon.

With the imminent introduction of Hornby's air-smoothed MN, the Bulleid coaches must be vulnerable, too. However, there are a variety of prototypes to choose from so that might not be so serious a problem

Also, please Bachmann give us a decent, scale length, LMS Diagram 1840 cattle wagon - the 40-year-old Mainline shortie has long since had its day. Hornby have already beaten Bachmann to the punch by announcing their new GWR Toad and this becomes another obvious target for a Hornby incursion if the SR cattle vans prove the hit I think they'll be. 

John

I raised the significance of 2017 & 2018 dates to Hornby at the Q&A on Saturday at Warley, considering they have the Bulleid full house for 2017 they could exploit it, but Bachmann have the range to cover the other end of Southern steam survivors including (41/73/75/76/80/82xxx)classes), though if these several of the well known last survivors they have already done (75074/76069/82019/29), however 41298 might be a nice one, being a late survivor, and only just been restored for the first time since, however a really nice one, ok it only made 1966, would be 77014.

77014 was far from being withdrawn in 1966.  According to John Bird's 'Southern Steam Sunset', 77014 hauled the last steam train on the Southern (excluding preservation).  He records 77014 as hauling the 20.50 Bournemouth - Weymouth vans on 9 July 1967.

I'd no idea the GWR 150/2s were heavily modified.

Did consider mentioning a Silverlink 150/1 as it's only been produced as a Collectors' Club edition in 2009, but could be reissued as running on FGW minus Silverlink logo http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0ahUKEwjA0Zr8ztfQAhUnIMAKHb3kBI8QFghMMAk&url=http%3A%2F%2Frailwayherald.com%2Fmagazine%2Fdownload%2F119&usg=AFQjCNG5uZ11pbTsXLKrNhoybBfQ-ngT8w see page 17 of PDF

or with FGW logo http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=238542

or with London Overground branding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_150#/media/File:150120_at_Gospel_Oak.jpg

No problem, It's the same with all the DDA modified 150s really. Although I'm not sure why the GW ones have lost their cab handrails and footsteps. There's a few pictures of one of the GWR pair on Nathan Williamsons website here:

https://shed83a.smugmug.com/Passenger/GWR/2016-GWR/i-wRbdSQV/A

I wouldn't mind a Silverlink 150 at all - I've been after one for some time to have as one of the exiled 'FGW West Fleet' ones as well. I reckon they'll be another FGW Blue example though, either as a /1 or /2 - considering how quickly the FGW batch sold out from last years range, it still remains a popular livery and unit and recent examples on FlEbay have been going for around the 150 mark.

Come to think of it, to us West Country modelers it's a bit of a key model - You can run it with the FGW 150, Ex Central 150, Hornby's 153s, Realtracks 143s & eventual 142s etc...

Anybody know when that Bitumen TTA wagon will be released?!

Not for a while. Listed in the latest Club magazine as being in the drawing office.

Incidentally the magazine lists Mark 2f stock, freightliner flats and the TPO stowage van as being in the tool room.

• RMweb Gold

Duplication has been tried several times - the BR standard 4-6-0 being one the springs to mind. All that happened was the profits got split between two manufacturers causing BOTH manufacturers to suffer from depressed sales rather than generating increased sales overall.

Models are not like other consumer purchases - if your model requires a particular loco or stock due to the locality or era being presented then you cannot just go round substituting for something else (e.g. a Black 5 versus a Standard 5)

The only cases where duplication works is where there is a step change in the product being offered - e.g. a 1980s era model in Hornbys railroad range going up against a new super detailed offering from Bachmann for example.

The Duchess - for all its flaws is still firmly in the 'super detailed section of the market and as such its a waste of money for anyone to duplicate Hornbys efforts in 00, particularly given their recent announcement to give it a makeover.

Sorry to be pedantic but Hornby's recently announced Duchess can in no sense be described as a makeover.It is a newly scanned ,designed and tooled model

Archived