Bachmann 2017 range

Neal Ball

• RMweb Gold

Time to get a bit more positive I think.  First of all we know that Bachmann (Kader) are now moving more smoothly in the development stage having cleared some log jams and got some priorities sorted.  So the fact that they're not telling us about some things doesn't necessarily mean nothing is happening - just that they aren't saying anything because I'm sure they're better than well aware of the delay in bringing previously promised items to market (probably far more aware than us).

Next I don't think anyone round here actually knows what is on the shelves at Barwell or expected to arrive on them between now and 8 January - Bachmann models have arrived 'out-of-the'blue' in the past and whose to say that isn't going to happen again?  But no doubt with many delayed items to tackle their highest priority is bound to be those models which will produce a good immediate cash return and they hopefully understand the way the market works to make the right decisions in that respect and, for that reason too, I again suspect we might get some surprises in January.

They're waiting to announce rights to the class 715 EMU sets.

You've never heard of the 715s?  They will be designed in a couple of years' time for entry into service around 2025.  Bachmann are just getting themselves ready ......... ;)

More duplication then as Hornby are already doing this iconic yet to be thought of train.

Wonder if Bachmann will also use the latest 51 pin decoder socket so you can disembark Faller's imaginary lifelike moving model people from your train.

Guest Q663368

Dear Mr Bachmann, where's my class 24/1 that I pre-ordered on 31 July 2014?

Am I to leave instructions in my will as to who will pay for it and to where it should be sent?

Hopefully SLW will produce theirs before Bachmann.

Oh the sniping. Why isn't this model here yet, why isn't that model here yet. Not really sure what people want - models yes, but in the meantime how about some Bachmann blood.....

It's easily solved: just don't announce models years and years before you're going to release them. With Bachmann's current approach at best you look a bit crap; at worst you look like a bully trying to "bagsy" models in which other manufacturers might otherwise be interested.

In fairness, though, it's a bit of a no-win. Hornby announce much later but if anyone else has been working on the same prototype Hornby are accused of trying to muscle smaller competitors out of the market.

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Personally speaking, I like Bachmann's approach to these things, as it's clearly intended to support their retailers.  So good on them.  Local model shops have enough challenges without their suppliers also competing with them directly for sales!  Having a special launch "do" with their retailers surely just displays this ethos of looking after the model shops. :sungum: 

Interesting to read some of the comments here.... it was only a few years ago that all of these charges were being said about "Red box". It just shows how far Hornby have come in their marketing that they are now described as "the mate you would go down the pub with"...

Especially as both are simply businesses! The long view is that both have offered some good product over a sustained period, both have clearly suffered some disruption over recent years, hopefully both will continue to offer good product into the future. I won't go to the pub with either, as this might subtract from potential time spent with noses pressed to grindstones.

I'm probably going to get shot down all over the place for this but here goes,

Shouldn't all catalogues be free?...

Business decision for the outfit concerned to make. Having no use for print catalogues, I like the idea that those who want them pay toward them, hopefully that will mean that I am not being charged an increment on what I purchase to recover the cost of a 'free' catalogue.

Why not just announce the new products at warley like everyone else?

Not everybody announces at Warley and it is only in the last two or three years that the " major" manufacturers  have done so

Why not just announce the new products at warley like everyone else?

You may feel you get more and better publicity by not announcing at the same time as your key competitors. Plus as Andy Y points out, their communication model is different and wouldn't practically work at Warley

David

“Some of the delays may be down to internal changes/retirements.
We have been told over the last 2 years that 2 people have retired - the late Merl Evans and another chap who I unfortunately cannot remember his name.
These gents are incredibly tough to replace and it would not surprise me if this was the main cause for these delays.
Model loco designers with experience in all the disciplines required to design a model will be like hens teeth so there will inevitably be time delays once new guys start work.

Stuart”

Colin Allbright? Yes, these chaps are rare and very talented.

Edited to correct clumsiness.

Some of the delays may be down to internal changes/retirements.

We have been told over the last 2 years that 2 people have retired - the late Merl Evans and another chap who I unfortunately cannot remember his name.

These gents are incredibly tough to replace and it would not surprise me if this was the main cause for these delays.

Model loco designers with experience in all the disciplines required to design a model will be like hens teeth so there will inevitably be time delays once new guys start work.

Stuart

Do you mean Graham Hubbard the ex MD?

Bachmann attend many model railway shows up and down the country (including DEMU Showcase) so I think their engagement policy is a good one. Personally I'd rather talk to someone at a show that can answer my questions than put posts on Facebook that are either not responded to or lost amongst the 'digital noise'.

Perhaps the change of management at Hornby recently might reverse their decision to only attend a limited number of shows. We'd happily have Hornby back to DEMU Showcase (it used to be routinely attended by Simon Kohler and crew).

Guy

Unless they cost nothing to produce and distribute, which of course they don't, no printed catalogue is 'free'; They are either paid for by a fraction of  the price of the products they advertise, giving the consumer no choice, or they are sold, in which case we can choose whether to buy or not.

Hi Guy

No it wasn't Graham it was an actual design team chap - there was quite a large article in the collectors club magazine relating to the work he did earlier this year.

If I remember he concentrated more on "N" gauge models but none the less he was a very valuable member of a small team and his work will of been distributed amongst others after he retired.

After reading the +'s and -'s over how the best way to communicate new releases and development time etc. the manufacturers really cannot win on this - there is a really good article in the collectors club mag this month about wagons - at the end of the article it mentions about duplication and what happens when this happens and if they pull the plug or keep going. It really is in no ones interest for this to happen. If it was one of us running this sort of business I think we would all rather put a towel on the sun lounger early and know that I'm the only manufacturer rather than going to sell 50% of what I thought because I'd been quiet and manufacturer "B" was also very quiet and released the same model at the same time!

Remember these manufacturers cannot have some sort of meeting in a quiet pub and say you make this model and we'll make that!

As far as the big manufacturers go it does look to me it is either the old in the past Hornby way or the other way that all the others are following.

Stuart

All this hoo-haa about announcing models and having to wait for them. I'm still waiting for the Brush type 4 (47) that Trix (remember them?) announced - was it 1966?

And then Wrenn (remember them?) laid claim to a Beyer-Garrett and an Adams Radial......

Ooops, I nearly forgot the Kitmaster A3 as well.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

All this hoo-haa about announcing models and having to wait for them. I'm still waiting for the Brush type 4 (47) that Trix (remember them?) announced - was it 1966?

And then Wrenn (remember them?) laid claim to a Beyer-Garrett and an Adams Radial......

Ooops, I nearly forgot the Kitmaster A3 as well.

Stewart

I was really disappointed about the Kitmaster A 3 not appearing.

Bachmann attend many model railway shows up and down the country (including DEMU Showcase) so I think their engagement policy is a good one. Personally I'd rather talk to someone at a show that can answer my questions ...

And it has been that way for a long time. I have never joined their collector's club, but have always had a good reception and responses to both questions and suggestions. The good news would be that the Hornby staff were performing equally well the weekend just past, by reports from those able to attend the Warley show.

Hi Guy

No it wasn't Graham it was an actual design team chap - there was quite a large article in the collectors club magazine relating to the work he did earlier this year.

If I remember he concentrated more on "N" gauge models but none the less he was a very valuable member of a small team and his work will of been distributed amongst others after he retired.

Stuart

Colin Allbright.

Paul

Well, I'm hoping that Bachmann have secretly made so much progress on their bac(h)log that not only will all the outstanding items be released in February but that March will bring us a Class 310 emu and April a Class 323 emu.

I'm also hoping that my little green clothed, redhaired Irish distant cousins who live at the bottom of my garden will finally stop teasing me with their crock of gold so I can pay for them, but I think I live more in hope than expectation.

Sensibly it ought to a rather subdued announcement given the awaited models with a variety of new liveries on existing (and possibly awaited) models, but then this is the barking world of model railways where sensibility goes out of the window and no doubt all sorts of new models will get announced despite no likelihood of them appearing for many months years. Something that all manufacturers have been guilty of.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann seem to be much more attuned to the press than the public at large. . Still January 8th is much sooner than expected . They have supposedly been working on models previously unannounced so maybe that's what will appear in catalogue . Cynically I wonder if they are announcing earlier to put the price up earlier . We haven't had the post Brexit price increase. This could be intetesting

O Gauge Loco's again, but in Plastic this time maybe? they already do buildings in O.

Actually I'm quite surprised that Bachmann have never gone down the RTR route in O gauge, upscaling say the Mk1s amongst others, I'm certain they could do a better job than Heljan and I think they would popular. Whilst I'm on the subject of them doing a better job than Heljan my personal OO wishlist is for Bachmann to do a Crompton, and downsizing either the EPB or forthcoming HAP into N gauge.

Wishlist over.

Archived