Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

Thanks :) I'll probably sell on that 6 compartment break and put the money towards the 4 compartment break I need, I bought them all before I knew about sets, per chance I've ended up with 3723 & 7411 from set 209 and 3786 & 1218 from set 244 but I'm going to use 1218 in set 209 so all I need is 3722, but there's no rush, my station can only really hold 3 carriage trains anyway...

Hi, if you only need 3722 Hornby  R4342a, you don't have to search any further, Addlestone models have 3722 in stock brand new 29,- pound :derisive: , that's only 2 pound more than you usually paid for new or, second hand items.

If you want to know about every Hornby Maunsell coach produced , look on Hattons product database, you can find every produced model, even the items that never have been in the catalogue's and with the release date.

I also looking forward for the SR Channel Packet , not exactly mine period [ pre war SR], but it is so very impressing loco I would'nt mis, maybe this month or early next month :)  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, I was looking at these last night and thinking I might buy them speculatively, unfortunately peters spare /lendons/acmodels are out of stock.

If I bought 10, I could save 2 for the bso/FO and use the other 8 light units in my Bachmann portholes, as these come with pickups on the wheels already.. just connect the x11547 to play !

Better light strips are available from places like ebay that you can use. Different colours (warm / cool white and yellow) and they can be cut to match coach length.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Single lit coaches in a rake look odd.

You have clearly never seen a West Coast Railways charter set in the dark. Indeed for greater realism you might want to wave some superglue around the vicinity of the glazing in the hope that it fogs up thereby simulating the coaches with neither heat nor light ;)

• Like 2

Given that it is not that long ago plenty were happily prophesing that Hornby would have gone out of business by now and that they've still clearly got some major financial baggage from their recent past I think this is a very solid set of releases.

On prices I must admit that some of the prices seem a bit odd, the Q1 appears to be a real bargain with other items looking a bit pricey. I'm not whinging about prices there, just commenting on the fact that the prices veer between being very attractive and being on the high side depending on the items. I've been as sceptical about some of the rationalse for price increases as anybody but you can't ignore the fact that sterling has plunged against the US dollar since the Brexit referendum, it'd be very naive or unrealistic to expect any supplier manufacturing overseas to fully absorb a fall of that scale with no impact on prices.

Very much agree with the first sentiment.

Personally I welcome a pricing system that relates to the cost of production rather than one based on say, "it's a pacific so we can get away with charging such-and-such".

It also might in future help determine the level of detail purchasers are prepared to pay for.

• Like 1

The light bar and pickup bogie from the Hornby Mk1 is available as a spare according to the service sheet. Light Bar is X11547 and the Pickup Bogie is X6949. Perhaps peters spares or someone may have them available. At least that way the lights would all match.

Do you know if the mk1 light bar is the same as the mk2 light bar? I have the Virgin mk2e SO and BSO with lights but will use the intercity mk2 FO (without lights) to compete the rake.

I don't understand why Hornby didn't bother with the Virgin FO (or RFB) mk2e.

Edited by scottrains29

After all the fuss over the Huntley and Palmers Peckett it seems strange that there hasn't been the equivalent fuss over 2017's Huntley and Palmers' wagon ;

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/Hornby-new-for-2017/6-plank-wagon-huntley-and-palmers-ltd.html

Discussed at length in the Peckett thread. Even before it was announced.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I think the big H should be given a well deserved pat on the back for their 2017 announcements. I know there will be a number of people who are upset that X or Y hasn't been produced - just don't the Peckett's (I did, but I may or may not get away with it  :jester: )

Nice to see the return of a few favorites and Hornby doing the sensible thing of resting a few classes  that have been swamping the bargain bins of various Box-shifters.

• RMweb Premium

Do you know if the mk1 light bar is the same as the mk2 light bar? I have the Virgin mk2e SO and BSO with lights but will use the intercity mk2 FO (without lights) to compete the rake.

I don't understand why Hornby didn't bother with the Virgin FO (or RFB) mk2e.

There's no service sheet for the Mk2 coaches but I would imagine be they would be the same. Aren't the Mk2 coaches slightly shorter than the Mk1? Might explain why the light bar doesn't light up the full length.

Also see little of interest in these announcements; quite why have the ignored preserved K1, Q6 and now the H remains a mystery to me. Its not as if that many model shops today are falling over themselves ordering limited editions - on the topic of which there use to be a thread on limited editions but it seems to have died as a result of four suppliers dominating that sector of the market who have there own threads.

Also see little of interest in these announcements; quite why have the ignored preserved K1, Q6 and now the H remains a mystery to me. Its not as if that many model shops today are falling over themselves ordering limited editions - on the topic of which there use to be a thread on limited editions but it seems to have died as a result of four suppliers dominating that sector of the market who have there own threads.

Maybe because those four suppliers are the only ones that can afford or are prepared to put hundreds of thousands of pounds into a project?

Have you considered the fact that those locomotives may not even be doable due to alterations they may have had since preservation?

Or other models of preserved locomotives may not have sold well?

Plenty of potential reasons.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Aren't at least two of those owned by the NRM? Perhaps there is an arrangement in place?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold

Maybe because those four suppliers are the only ones that can afford or are prepared to put hundreds of thousands of pounds into a project?

Have you considered the fact that those locomotives may not even be doable due to alterations they may have had since preservation?

Or other models of preserved locomotives may not have sold well?

Plenty of potential reasons.

Jason

Or because there are still a number of last year's K1's & Q6's either sitting in box-shifters bargain bins or gathering dust in warehouses unsold.

Or because there are still a number of last year's K1's & Q6's either sitting in box-shifters bargain bins or gathering dust in warehouses unsold.

But haven't they just announced more Q6s?

R3541 LNER 0-8-0 '2265' Raven Q6 Class                   

R3542 BR 0-8-0 '63427' Raven Q6 Class, Early BR

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/Hornby-new-for-2017/new-for-2017-steam-locomotives/page/2.html?

Jason

• RMweb Gold

But haven't they just announced more Q6s?

R3541 LNER 0-8-0 '2265' Raven Q6 Class                   

R3542 BR 0-8-0 '63427' Raven Q6 Class, Early BR

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/Hornby-new-for-2017/new-for-2017-steam-locomotives/page/2.html?

Jason

Judging by how many of last years Q6's are still available in the shops (and at Hornby), these 2 could well be pushed back to 2018 or be cancelled.

• RMweb Premium

Please find attached a link to our Facebook page where we have posted photos.https://m.facebook.com/groups/375225992684160?view=permalink&id=632012220338868

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the BR maroon on the Collett coaches is right not the crimson that they look on the Hornby website. But the BR green on the streamlined MN looks a bit muddy like other recent releases. Did you perchance get clarification about whether the Class 50 D400 was as new/1967 or as withdrawn condition?

Edited by brushman47544

Is it just me or do other people find it underwhelming!! Nothing much new. Does this mean we have come to  the end of commercially possible rolling stock.

I'm afraid it is just you.  After several years of being underwhelmed by a tsunami of irrelevant tea urns (from my personal perspective) and disappointing rolling stock (still can't understand how they released a Mk2e with the visible panty line) this year has been a good year for me personally, the 87, the new Duchess, the re-release of the 8F and the re-emergence of LMS liveried P3 Stanier stock has made up for the wilderness years of yet more green kettles.

​Basically though, some years will delight, others will disappoint, and given the dire predictions of Hornby taking a dive financially to see them doing the 87 was a really nice surprise as they could have been forgiven for churning out more collector-themed stuff to get in some scheckels.

When I worked for Britains the 'Limited Edition' scams (for that is what they were) caused no end of grief amongst the retailers.  In the same pattern as Hornby, they flooded the market with faux 'limited editions' not realising that it would come back to bite them in the nether regions if the demand didn't arise.  Which it didn't!  They then foolishly dumped the editions through outlets, which ended up with 50% mark downs at least!

I do sometimes wonder if Hornby had recruited the same heroes to work for them.....................

Thanks for the photos. It looks like the BR maroon on the Collett coaches is right not the crimson that they look on the Hornby website. But the BR green on the streamlined MN looks a bit muddy like other recent releases. Did you perchance get clarification about whether the Class 50 D400 was as new/1967 or as withdrawn condition?

I'm afraid there was no mention of the class 50. I'll check the catalogue after and see if there's some more info.

• Like 1