Hornby 2017 Range (announcement date)

MGR Hooper!

I look at Hornby site 'the final Day' Steam price £199.99 - is it too expensive?

Already cheaper elsewhere.

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/765/Hornby-2017-Range

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000389/1000588/1000640/0/Hornby_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Steam_locos/prodlist.aspx?showPreowned=false&pageid=2

Jason

If were talking prices, does anyone else find it an very odd choice to re-release those ex Airfix Mk2 D's then at prices virtually the same to the higher detailed E's? Not least when you could until yesterday at least, pick up the 'Railroad' version of the Mk2 E's for a considerably less but still containing more detail.

I'm still mixed, as a D&E modeler it's a shame to just see one HST Power Car pack - and that being done as a LTD edition as well. I hope some off the shops are able to make a commission for some of the missed out liveries - or to produce a 40s anniversary Pack - Surely 43002 & 43185 should be right up Hornby's street?

I find the variety and quantity of models in the Hornby 2017 announcement very encouraging and indicative of a healthy amount of investment even if much of it is re-liveries rather than brand new models. I must admit that after Hornby seemed to change tack last year with 'new tool' model announcements popping up throughout the year, I was actually expecting very little to be announced this January, even re-releases of older models.

Instead we see a welcome return of some older models that still stand up well against (if not 'better', in some cases) more recent releases, such as the Royal Scot Class, the Q1, the 4MT (one of their best maybe?), and I think longest 'out of production' the 8F. This is good news indeed. Add to this the continued flow of rebuilt and un-rebuilt BoB's and WC's and also new versions of more recent releases, to me this indicates a healthy business - providing it all comes to the shelves!

Perhaps the D&E scene is a bit light in terms of re-releases when compared to steam but then there are two 'new-tool' models coming in the form of the Class 87 and Class 800.

It is also good to see the Railroad range being given some 'love' as it is these models that are needed to get new/younger people into the hobby. A sensible decision to move the 14xx into the railroad range in view of the new high quality DJM version and have they actually dropped the price of this model now? Also the same for the ex-Lima Class 73 now that the new Dapol version is out, which also seems to be 'reasonably' priced now it is a Railroad model. Much of the Railroad range is now of a high enough standard to also appeal to more seasoned modellers as a basis for weathering and detailing projects. There are still some models that seem to straddle the line between Railroad and 'main range' but this isn't a problem for me as long as I know what I'm getting.

I have already placed one or two pre-orders with retailers and with Hornby directly for 2017 releases. I have not tended to do this historically but as supply and demand seems to be a bit of a lottery with some recent releases I have decided if there is something I want, and a pre-order gives the retailers and the manufacturers a better idea of demand, then why not! It seems to be the way the hobby is going and maybe the future state is all manufacturers employing a kickstarter/crowd-funded approach as we have already seen from smaller manufacturers, to ensure any new projects are funded up-front. Yes, many of the 2017 prices are eye-watering but I'd rather buy fewer, expensive, quality models than a larger number of lower quality models (i.e. 'design-clever') or the other much worse option if Hornby can't please their investors - NO models at all! The only pricing I really can't understand is for the HST in GWR livery - okay it is a 'Limited Edition' (what isn't these days!) but why has the price for the 'new-tool' (i.e. the post 2008-ish version) HST risen so much in recent years? Compared to a steam model it must contain fewer parts and be easier to assemble. So there are two cars but one of these is un-powered i.e. a 'coach'. The examples I have of this fine model were all purchased (new) at between £100 and about £120 which at the time was about 10-20% below Hornby's RRP. £320 RRP for the new GWR version? Ouch! I would still like one though given that it could potentially be the last new livery this class wears! Maybe in view of the popularity and seemingly insatiable appetite for the purple FGW version and Mk3's they are just pushing it to see what people will pay? Might be a step too far for me!

Although financially they obviously have a big hill to climb, if I think to a couple of years back where we just had one or two 'design-clever' models to get excited about and Hornby had to practically start from square-one with their supply chain, we must be in a better place now? I remember thinking that there could be a number models/tools for anything post the rebuilt Merchant Navy (circa 2000? which I think kicked off the superb detail that was possible with 'low cost' manufacture?) that might potentially be lost for ever or at least for a very long time until Hornby managed to recover tooling etc. Just off the top of my head, given the releases over the past year or so and now the great range of re-releases proposed this year, the only 'super-detail' model I can think of whether steam or D/E that hasn't made a re-appearance is the Clan Class. The Britannia Class seems to make regular appearances but not so the Clan Class which I guess could just be down to the limited number/geographical spread of the prototype rather than Hornby no longer having the tools? I'd be interested to know if anyone can shed any light on this as to my mind the Clan was perhaps the pinnacle of RTR steam models and only very recently has anything come close (S15, Peckett maybe?). One other model I would personally like to see again, and is probably now best suited to the Railroad range, is the GWR Railcar. These scrub up pretty well but haven't been in their range for years now. Do they still have the tool? Perhaps it is just worn out? Perhaps they are waiting for Dapol to release their higher quality Streamlined Railcar version before bringing theirs back out as a Railroad model? That's what I would do anyway .... like a supermarket putting it's cheaper 'own-brand' product on the shelf next to the premium brand product!

If everything scheduled for Q4 does actually come out in Q4, I'm going to have a very expensive end of year!

I'm looking forward to see what Bachmann have to announce at the weekend but I'd be surprised if it betters Hornby's 2017 announcement. Bachmann seem to have such a lot of 'catch-up' to do still (where's the 94xx?!) I can't see them announcing loads of brand new releases.

I wish both companies, and all the other suppliers that provide us with such fantastic RTR models these days, all the best for 2017!

Edited by leavesontheline
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Has there been a Super-detailed BR Blue Class 31 without Mazak contamination yet?

Yes!

The initial releases from 2005, R2413, R2420, and to a lessor extent R2421 are the ones with mazak metal contamination issues concerning the chassis block.

All models issued after don't exhibit this issue, so BR Blue R2413A, R2413B, R2649, R2752 are all ok.

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Gold

Judging by how many of last years Q6's are still available in the shops (and at Hornby), these 2 could well be pushed back to 2018 or be cancelled.

A tad unfair on the Q6 - they only came out in June/July 2016, and I don't suppose we'll see the new ones until the back end of 2017. There are also more Kings coming, but the 2nd releases aren't in short supply anywhere as far as I can see. I do wonder how much the 'no review sample' policy has affected sales - plain black freight engines in side view don't exactly leap off the page on Hornby's website.

• RMweb Gold

Leavesontheline,

I heard that the tooling for the Clan had been "lost", whatever the case Hornby advised me recently that they had no plans for a reintroduction of one in the near future. A pity as would dearly love to get one(missed out first time around) and the last one I saw on E-Bay was at 250 pounds.......no way!!

Rgds......Mike

Edited by ikks

Leavesontheline,

I heard that the tooling for the Clan had been "lost", whatever the case Hornby advised me recently that they had no plans for a reintroduction of one in the near future. A pity as would dearly love to get one(missed out first time around) and the last one I saw on E-Bay was at 250 pounds.......no way!!

Rgds......Mike

Possible with them using multiple factories I suppose. Theres also the chance some models will never be returned due to the health and safety risks (see Simon Kohlers blog posting about reintroducing the APT-P for details).

• RMweb Gold

Yes!

The initial releases from 2005, R2413, R2420, and to a lessor extent R2421 are the ones with mazak metal contamination issues concerning the chassis block.

All models issued after don't exhibit this issue, so BR Blue R2413A, R2413B, R2649, R2752 are all ok.

Some of R2413A have definitely been affected - confirmed by Hornby according to another thread.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium

I understand that pricing does seem to be getting a bit high but when you think about it, would you prefer to pay less and see Hornby go out of business, or pay more and keep them around for the future? I'm happy to pay the extra. I just prioritise my spending and maybe sacrifice a few models.

• RMweb Gold

I look at Hornby site 'the final Day' Steam price £199.99 - is it too expensive?

What's that then?

I can't see anything called "The Final Day", or anything involving any of the locos used on the final day (which were 45110, 44871, 44781, 70013). Hornby have released models of these before, of course.

There is a model of 45116 on the Hornby site, priced at £199 for preorder, with TTS sound. But 45116 wasn't around on the last day in 1968 - it went for scrap in 1967, and the version advertised has an early crest tender, hardly suitable for 1968.

Have I missed something?

• RMweb Premium

What's that then?

I can't see anything called "The Final Day", or anything involving any of the locos used on the final day (which were 45110, 44871, 44781, 70013). Hornby have released models of these before, of course.

There is a model of 45116 on the Hornby site, priced at £199 for preorder, with TTS sound. But 45116 wasn't around on the last day in 1968 - it went for scrap in 1967, and the version advertised has an early crest tender, hardly suitable for 1968.

Have I missed something?

On the first page of the New Releases. The Final Day of the Big 4, not BR. The collections of 4 locos consists of a SR Spamcan, GWR King, LMS Royal Scot, LNER A3. Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

What's that then?

Have I missed something?

The "Final Day" referred to is 31st December 1947, the eve of nationalization.

J

• RMweb Premium

[ Re Hornby having run out of ideas post ]

No

However Hornby are a business with finite resources and they are also struggling to get back on their feet after a pretty wretched couple of years.

As such it's rather niaeve to assume that (1) Hornby have run out of ideas or (2) have the necessary resources to produce / finance its 2017 output on the same scale as the 'good times' seen pre 2008.

Edited by phil-b259

Leavesontheline,

Rgds......Mike

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info. That's a real shame as it is such a fine model. I was lucky enough to find a new one relatively recently (past couple of years) when my local retailer found one hiding in the store cupboard! It is completely out of region for me but I couldn't resist! I would probably cave in again if they did manage to locate the tooling and produce another one!

• RMweb Gold

A tad unfair on the Q6 - they only came out in June/July 2016, and I don't suppose we'll see the new ones until the back end of 2017. There are also more Kings coming, but the 2nd releases aren't in short supply anywhere as far as I can see. I do wonder how much the 'no review sample' policy has affected sales - plain black freight engines in side view don't exactly leap off the page on Hornby's website.

Not unfair, just going on what happen last year with items being cancelled or pushed back to 2017 in the months following the 2016 announcement. The Q6's are 3rd Quarter at the moment, so could well get pushed to 4th Quarter or 2018.

Leavesontheline,

Rgds......Mike

It might have been a problem with the factory over the ownership of the tools, I feel that the end of production at Sanda Kan might have been a little "fraught"...

• RMweb Gold

Possible with them using multiple factories I suppose. Theres also the chance some models will never be returned due to the health and safety risks (see Simon Kohlers blog posting about reintroducing the APT-P for details).

Yes there are certain models that cannot be produced due to risk of death by froth for sensitive souls on this forum. The moulds are safely stored at a secret location.

• RMweb Gold

Not unfair, just going on what happen last year with items being cancelled or pushed back to 2017 in the months following the 2016 announcement. The Q6's are 3rd Quarter at the moment, so could well get pushed to 4th Quarter or 2018.

My point was it was unfair to single out the Q6, when the third releases of the Kings could easily be shunted back based on current stock levels.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

Yes there are certain models that cannot be produced due to risk of death by froth for sensitive souls on this forum. The moulds are safely stored at a secret location.

Oh no ... please tell me it's not in the same place as the famous "Strategic Reserve" ...

• Like 2